British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistlegang

Kent 2018

Len Silver presented Anders Rowe with his Pocket Rocket race jacket, with the number 1/2, when he was about 9 or 10 and said several times that he'd sign him as soon as he was old enough. 

I knew there was a connection between Silver and Rowe, but didn't know it went back that long. Interesting to note that

long held promises of a team place on reaching the necessary age were honoured. A rarity in this day and age !

Can anyone explain to me why Kent are staging their 1st meeting at the most unusual time of 1p.m. ?

Seems like a strange decision and may well muck up my own Good Friday holiday.

5 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Can anyone explain to me why Kent are staging their 1st meeting at the most unusual time of 1p.m. ?

As far as I'm aware, there's a greyhound meeting in the evening.

So if I take a packed lunch to Sittingbourne on Good Friday, I then have a choice for the rest of the day. Either a free entry

to the Dog meeting in the evening or nip back up the M2 and watch Lakeside.  It's a no-brainer, Arena Essex for me.

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

So if I take a packed lunch to Sittingbourne on Good Friday, I then have a choice for the rest of the day. Either a free entry

to the Dog meeting in the evening or nip back up the M2 and watch Lakeside.  It's a no-brainer, Arena Essex for me.

Easily pleased, rofl

Sorry, it was an open goal.

On 17/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, iand said:

Watched Hume, Hunter and Bowtell in there 1st season with the Raiders, all were fast but lost count of the amount of times they fell off and threw away points. All 3 have progressed well and that's what the NL should be all about bringing on the youngsters.

That' the thing with Len Silver he shows loyalty to his riders when many others would make changes. At NL level that' s surely a benefit as you don' t know when a fall/ remounted rider is going to suddenly  come good.

• Like 1

I agree with Triple.H. in that the National League should be about bringing on the youngsters.  BUT  I do NOT agree that a rider

of little ability should get a team place when talented YOUNGSTERS of proven ability are out of work.  Due entirely to the doubtful

decision to restrict the points limit to 39 when it should have been 42.5.  I hope that this lesson is learned so that future seasons

see a change in the ruling.

• Like 2

There have been a few murmurings and rumours in recent years about Kent moving up into the senior leagues..........does anyone know if that is still an ambition of the club?

Think Len more or less said at the end of season, that there was no current plans to go up. Every season has been profitable so far and he implied the long term future of the club was paramount. Also all the time we have the tight curfew it's highly likely we would be accepted in the higher leagues anyway.

Thanks for that info., Teaboy279. Must say that it seems to make sense for a club to stay where they are if they are making money..

I happen to like the National League although I am aware that it is not everyone's cup of tea (no pun intended 279). I visit both Kent and

Eastbourne several times in a season and enjoy both places. I can sit in a decent grandstand with an excellent view at both. At my time of

life, that is important. Standing on banking or terraces does not appeal. Must say that at both tracks, sitting among local supporters, I have

never heard of any discontent at the level of racing. So I say "Good Luck" to both clubs for running at a profitable level.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:44 PM, East End Fan said:

I agree with Triple.H. in that the National League should be about bringing on the youngsters.  BUT  I do NOT agree that a rider

of little ability should get a team place when talented YOUNGSTERS of proven ability are out of work.  Due entirely to the doubtful

decision to restrict the points limit to 39 when it should have been 42.5.  I hope that this lesson is learned so that future seasons

see a change in the ruling.

100% agree with your comment about the points limit!