British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistlegang

Kent 2018

I can see Hampshire being dropped and going to Birmingham I’m replace of Cuppitt 

Anders Rowe should be a reserve to aid his development and boost his confidence.

Len’s youth policy hasn’t been successful and they need an experienced performer as cannot rely on Bowen and Thomas and the occasional score from Stoneman.

.The only way we can make influential changes is by dropping one of the top 3, and the only way I can see the Kent fans swallowing that is through injury.

There simply isnt a 3 pointer out there barring maybe Embleton that would instantly score points.

And with Taylor's average your probably looking in the same pool of riders to replace him.

• Like 1

The battered and bruised Stoneman takes the weekend off, meaning we have Leon Flint guesting for him at Stoke. But we are forced to use RR Monday in our crucial league clash with the Bees, and that is a concern.

I can see the bees nicking something from the league match unless Rowe and Hampshire can find their form the Coventry engine room is solid with Halder at reserve too 

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

I can see the bees nicking something from the league match unless Rowe and Hampshire can find their form the Coventry engine room is solid with Halder at reserve too 

No fear about Rowe, he has been improving all season, and is probably at least a second a race fastest then last season.

Taylor clearly has bags of skill, but seems to lack confidence and appears to wait for the other 3 riders to get to turn 1 before starting. When he does gate he can and has ridden off into the distance.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 8:28 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

KENT promoter Len Silver has fired a warning to his current septet that team changes are being considered.

The Kings were demolished 68-21 at Eastbourne on Saturday, a display 86-year-old Silver described as the worst he had seen throughout his extensive time in the sport.

He said: “In all my years as a promoter and manager, I have never suffered a performance from my riders as poor as that at Eastbourne on Saturday.

“While it is true that there were several reasons that would not have been obvious to the onlooker, it does not alter the fact that it was a sad evening of racing for which I apologised to (Eagles chairman) Martin Dugard.

“Chris (Hunt) and I have been frustrated with a wish to make some changes, but with literally no one to call on in the immediate future - although slightly longer-term, we do have a possible choice.”

Certainly not surprised at Uncle Len's reaction, i was very fortunate that i didn't travel down for this one and feel for every fan who turned up to see such a non event. I suspect the more established names will be safe enough and eventually forgiven a poor night but Clouting & Hampshire must be hanging on by a thread.  

Clouting is safe as he's been injured, and i don't think you can just replace Hampshire on his own to improve the team. 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:32 AM, TurnTwo said:

I watched that Andrew Palmer, not heard of him before in the SDL ( more of a spectacle than the main event ) and he looked far better than Clouting he even had Danny Ayres old Kevlar and he actually looks a bit like Danny when he started that very raw upright style. Hampshire surely has to go? Or they put Rowe at 4? I don’t think Rowe has been that potent this year as to what he was scoring last year or maybe I am expecting to much of him because of his progression last year, as well as that is Nathan Stoneman I think is what this team swings on, he can score 15 or he can score 4 all out or all on the floor true racer but unfortunately still very prone to a crash even removing those 3 can you see anyone better? What about cockle? 

Andrew Palmer is not ready for NL.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:29 AM, cityrebel said:

Should have snapped up Bowtell before he moved to the island. What about George Hunter, or has he retired.

Len missed a real opportunity with Bowtell. I've no idea on Hunter - i even emailed Len to ask pretty much the same thing! Hunter finished last season home meetings like a heat leader.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:23 PM, TurnTwo said:

I can see Hampshire being dropped and going to Birmingham I’m replace of Cuppitt 

Cupitt is not very popular at Kent!

On 6/20/2018 at 12:28 PM, GWC said:

Anders Rowe should be a reserve to aid his development and boost his confidence.

Len’s youth policy hasn’t been successful and they need an experienced performer as cannot rely on Bowen and Thomas and the occasional score from Stoneman.

Rowe at reserve? How would that happen?!

On 6/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, teaboy279 said:

.The only way we can make influential changes is by dropping one of the top 3, and the only way I can see the Kent fans swallowing that is through injury.

There simply isnt a 3 pointer out there barring maybe Embleton that would instantly score points.

And with Taylor's average your probably looking in the same pool of riders to replace him.

Embleton has bags of potential imo.

Edited by whistlegang

On 6/20/2018 at 9:32 AM, TurnTwo said:

I watched that Andrew Palmer, not heard of him before in the SDL ( more of a spectacle than the main event ) and he looked far better than Clouting he even had Danny Ayres old Kevlar and he actually looks a bit like Danny when he started that very raw upright style. Hampshire surely has to go? Or they put Rowe at 4? I don’t think Rowe has been that potent this year as to what he was scoring last year or maybe I am expecting to much of him because of his progression last year, as well as that is Nathan Stoneman I think is what this team swings on, he can score 15 or he can score 4 all out or all on the floor true racer but unfortunately still very prone to a crash even removing those 3 can you see anyone better? What about cockle? 

Cockle no thanks. Halsey would have been a better option.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, East End Fan said:

I did not know much about Hampshire last year as I rarely go to Birmingham.  But he did score some very big scores at Kent at the end of last

year, so it was no surprise that he signed for them. Does occasionally show glimpses of brilliance, but on the whole looks unhappy on the bike.

I think he had just one wonder performance at Kent last season. I would say that he misses the gate 4 out of 5 times, and then waits for 3.5 laps before doing anything. IMO he has some serious confidence issues, but there is no doubt a racer in there somewhere.

• Like 1

Think Shansie was a 28 day signing for Brum, any changes I suspect would involve bringing in our own asset.

But I suspect to bring him in it would mean at least 3 changes.

36 minutes ago, whistlegang said:

Clouting is safe as he's been injured, and i don't think you can just replace Hampshire on his own to improve the team. 

Andrew Palmer is not ready for NL.

Len missed a real opportunity with Bowtell. I've no idea on Hunter - i even emailed Len to ask pretty much the same thing! Hunter finished last season home meetings like a heat leader.

Cupitt is not very popular at Kent!

Rowe at reserve? How would that happen?!

Embleton has bags of potential imo.

Problem with Embleton is, I believe he is from Newcastle which is not ideal for a Monday 6.30 start.

To fit Bowtell, Hunter, Halsey or Shanes in the team one of the 3 heat leaders or Rowe would have to go, that would achieve nothing as they have all been performing well.  

Flipper11 is quite right. Kent's top end has been as good as any in the league for the most part. So they are unlikely to want to

change any of them. Spooner is steadily improving and well worth his team place. But the problem riders are hard to replace simply

because there are no riders at that level available. This has been at least partially brought about because of the low points limit from the

start of the season  ( 39 ?) which left several talented riders out of work while no-hopers got team places.

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

Flipper11 is quite right. Kent's top end has been as good as any in the league for the most part. So they are unlikely to want to

change any of them. Spooner is steadily improving and well worth his team place. But the problem riders are hard to replace simply

because there are no riders at that level available. This has been at least partially brought about because of the low points limit from the

start of the season  ( 39 ?) which left several talented riders out of work while no-hopers got team places.

You'd have thought the power's that be would have learnt over the last 20 year's that a low points limit has never been good for any league. There will always be stronger and weaker teams whatever the limit, but as you say a higher starting figure always gives the weaker teams chance to improve, and the likes of Jake Knight and until recently Bowtell wouldn't be without a ride. 

• Like 2