British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistlegang

Kent 2018

31 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Don't know where you go for long drawn out meetings. There is an 8.30 curfew at Kent for normal meetings which start at 6.30.

Although predictions can be near enough correct, they can often turn out to be surprisingly wrong. Unexpected incidents will always#

affect results, injuries especially.  As for admission prices, it's all very well for "Sings" to think £10 is a fair price, but out of that £10 he

forgets that the government take £2 in VAT.  While, of course, I don't know what it costs to stage a meeting, I doubt that £8 admission

income would be enough.

Out of £10 the VAT would be £1.66, but that is neither here nor there. Each to his own, and each makes a call on what they're willing to pay out of their disposable income.

That said, it's crazy to think that to attend at Kent with a programme would cost £16, whilst I can go an watch the Premiership Champions for £17 including a programme. I know which I would see as better VFM

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

Out of £10 the VAT would be £1.66, but that is neither here nor there. Each to his own, and each makes a call on what they're willing to pay out of their disposable income.

That said, it's crazy to think that to attend at Kent with a programme would cost £16, whilst I can go an watch the Premiership Champions for £17 including a programme. I know which I would see as better VFM

This is my point.Why pay so much for Novices who are basically training.That is for the junior Leagues and training tracks.

I would like to know how long exactly Mondays meeting took,and how long the actual racing took.

You pay for standing around... that is the truth.

I suppose a ' fair' figure for NL would really be £12 ( £10 plus vat), and make it the same (maximum) across all NL clubs, unless someone wants to charge less.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

At the NSS it's £10 to sit in the grandstand to watch the Colts. Concessions are £8 and under 18's free. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

At the NSS it's £10 to sit in the grandstand to watch the Colts. Concessions are £8 and under 18's free. 

That's more like it.....and watching in the best stadium, on the best race track in British Speedway

1 hour ago, Reliant Robin said:

That's more like it.....and watching in the best stadium, on the best race track in British Speedway

Different business model to standalone clubs.

Income should be sufficient to help defray some of the costs of running which would be there anyway; even if the Colts did not run.

Colts may not be profitable but their income helps pay for costs such as business rates, any standing charges for utilities, full-time staff etc

14 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Income should be sufficient to help defray some of the costs of running which would be there anyway; even if the Colts did not run.

Colts may not be profitable but their income helps pay for costs such as business rates, any standing charges for utilities, full-time staff etc

To the average punter, that makes no difference to their perception of value for money

37 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Only if they make a profit on the not insignificant costs of opening the stadium and running a NL meeting. Otherwise, unless they don't even cover those costs, they simply cover the costs of their Colts meetings with nothing left over to defray the general costs of the stadium. Overall, Belle Vue lost money last year. 

I think that running in the NL is seen more as a way of attracting new and hopefully, younger fans with the under 18 free policy and building the rider asset base.

Edited by Aces51

Len Silver will always charge what he thinks is good for the speedway club.

His mantra is that the sport survives only by making a profit.

NL racing needs to be priced realistically and the current price at Kent isn’t.

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

Only if they make a profit on the not insignificant costs of opening the stadium and running a NL meeting. Otherwise, unless they don't even cover those costs, they simply cover the costs of their Colts meetings with nothing left over to defray the general costs of the stadium. Overall, Belle Vue lost money last year. 

I think that running in the NL is seen more as a way of attracting new and hopefully, younger fans with the under 18 free policy and building the rider asset base.

you almost understand the principle but not quite. 

I don't wish to deliver a master class in "contribution to costs" but suggest, if interested, you do some research

21 minutes ago, GWC said:

Len Silver will always charge what he thinks is good for the speedway club.

His mantra is that the sport survives only by making a profit.

NL racing needs to be priced realistically and the current price at Kent isn’t.

The test will be in the attendances. If he can get away with that price, he will

7 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

you almost understand the principle but not quite. 

I don't wish to deliver a master class in "contribution to costs" but suggest, if interested, you do some research

My experience is that those who are supercilious and patronising generally know far less than they think they do.

4 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

The test will be in the attendances. If he can get away with that price, he will

Since Cradley stopped winning, Kent have had the biggest National League crowds consistently. Can't see that changing over a quid.

I take my 8 year old daughter(into her 4th full season) she gets in for free and will do for 4 or 5 years more. So that 16 quid gives me quality father/daughter time as well as an exciting evenings racing.

Interested in Richard Weston's comments when he says that Silver considers that the sport will only survive if it makes a profit.

No one could argue with the truth of that. As a very long standing fan, I wish all clubs charged enough money to survive because

I am fed up with hearing about so many clubs in trouble for money, and how many have we lost over the years?  One of the  things

that is often overlooked is the excellent practice now exercised at many clubs where children are allowed free entry, but it's obvious

then that the adults attending must generate enough money for the club to be profitable.  Teaboy279 hits the nail smack on the head.

6 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Interested in Richard Weston's comments when he says that Silver considers that the sport will only survive if it makes a profit.

No one could argue with the truth of that. As a very long standing fan, I wish all clubs charged enough money to survive because

I am fed up with hearing about so many clubs in trouble for money, and how many have we lost over the years?  One of the  things

that is often overlooked is the excellent practice now exercised at many clubs where children are allowed free entry, but it's obvious

then that the adults attending must generate enough money for the club to be profitable.  Teaboy279 hits the nail smack on the head.

So put the prices up and alienate more fans. Then to make a profit there will need to be another price hike to make the sport pay, but guess what? That price hike is driving more fans away too. There's only so many times you can put prices up. Speedway, literally a vicious circle in many ways. 

• Like 1