British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whistlegang

Kent 2018

Had a phone call this morning ( Monday) to tell me that Kent's official practice day will be at Iwade on Sunday.

Why are they not using their home track in Sittingbourne ? Seems very strange to me.  I'm also told that the SDL team

from Kent will race their home matches at Iwade.  Is that true ?  Why not at their own stadium ? 

44 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Had a phone call this morning ( Monday) to tell me that Kent's official practice day will be at Iwade on Sunday.

Why are they not using their home track in Sittingbourne ? Seems very strange to me.  I'm also told that the SDL team

from Kent will race their home matches at Iwade.  Is that true ?  Why not at their own stadium ? 

For the P&P im purely guessing that Central Park is unavailable on Sundays?

For the SDL i guess it makes a little more sense to use a weekend track and is possibly cheaper to run as Kent had to charge for the SDL double headers they hosted last season although as there are still medical requirements, officials and referees to be paid for i suspect there might be a similar arrangement at Iwade?

Iwade has been venue for last 2 p&p, think both stadium accessibility and the fact that Sunday is far more convenient for the riders not having to take an extra day off work.

I think the use of the track for the SDL meetings is 2 fold. It's not using up a Monday night at the stadium barring in mind we are not allowed 2nd halves. And Len has said that being on Sundays allows visiting teams to bring their full squads, our end of season double header featured both away teams tracking the same riders.  Having a training track to practice on so close to the stadium is something that hopefully looks like is being fully embraced this season. I know Lens prefered choice was to run at Iwade last year but with no scb licence this was not possible then.

To be noted after practice at Iwade,  there is a meet the riders evening at central park. With free entry and free buffet plus the bar and pizza outlet opening up too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the explanations from regular Kent fans.  I suppose that the restrictions from Town Planning make

Iwade a useful addition to the Kent scene. Might try to drive down the M2 on Sunday and have a look.

I used to love the conference league era at iwade. Some excellent meetings, I rarely missed a match.

Jack Thomas signs for Glasgow. Great for him and his progression tough on the Kings as they will have first call on fixture clashes

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Jack Thomas signs for Glasgow. Great for him and his progression tough on the Kings as they will have first call on fixture clashes

Again just doesn't seem right as it's a 'late' call by Glasgow because of another riders decision. Great for his progression but as you say so unfair on another national league club. I wasn't over impressed with 'my' Eastie team when announced but perhaps I can now see the logic in going for a team that doesn't look like any of the riders are likely to double up this season at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

How many clashes are there currently?

5 hours ago, Islander15 said:

How many clashes are there currently?

As it stands our opener and Buxton away in august. So on the face of it not a disaster for Kent,  the problem arises if both sides are successful later and reach play offs etc.

But riding at the higher level on a weekly basis and for such a professional club as Glasgow can only benefit Kent with even greater progression for young Jack.

• Like 2

If I were a Kings fan ( and I suppose I am a little that way inclined in spite of my "home" team being Lakeside) I would be pleased for Jack

personally BUT a bit concerned about the heavy travelling with a home track in Scotland ( as far North as you can get !) plus all the other

far Northern tracks he will have to visit alongside his Kent fixtures.COULD go either way IMO but HOPE it's all good. 

As  Glasgows  match next Friday is a challenge they have given Jack permission to ride  for Kent in your opening fixture

• Like 2

Think he misses our NT trip to Plymouth and the KO Cup match at Plymouth if we get through the 1st rnd, in addition to our league match at Buxton. 

All things considered not too bad, and it's already paying off for young Jack winning heat 2 tonight and then getting a 3rd in his next ride. 

Proud fan moment.

Looking at Kent's team, obviously they look strong at heat leader level, but feel they have a long tail, which could cost them! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Looking at Kent's team, obviously they look strong at heat leader level, but feel they have a long tail, which could cost them! 

No doubt the Kent side has been built with a few question marks but if all / most of the gambles pay off the Kent side will be very strong. I openly admit i was wrong about Rowe last year and he far exceeded expectations. Bowen & Thomas are proven heat leaders. If Hampshire and a reserve can kick on the Kings will take some stopping but im still to be convinced that Stoneman can be solid & the inexperience of the tail could cause some serious problems on the road. That said i suspect home advantage will be enough to see Kent in the top 4.