British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Future Gp Riders In The Past

Just a bit of fun but how many future GP riders have various Premier League (now Championship) teams had? Which promoters saw good in riders?

Newcastle have had Nicki P, Bjarne Pedersen and Kenneth Bjerre. Any advances on 3?

I can think of a few on two.

Can any NL team claim to have had more than 1? I doubt it as only Woffy, Bomber and Darcy Ward have raced NL AFAIK (Scunny, St Austell and Boston)

Does Jason Crump count?

Just a bit of fun but how many future GP riders have various Premier League (now Championship) teams had? Which promoters saw good in riders?

Newcastle have had Nicki P, Bjarne Pedersen and Kenneth Bjerre. Any advances on 3?

Can any NL team claim to have had more than 1? I doubt it as only Woffy, Bomber and Darcy Ward have raced NL AFAIK (Scunny, St Austell and Boston)

Davey Watt rode in PL for Newcastle in 2002 and also in seven GPS between 2010 and 2017.

Also arguably Brian Anderson who signed for Newcastle late in the 1991 season but only rode in three challenge matches and was transferred to Coventry in 1992 and then became a GP rider.

Edited by JoeW

Matea Ferjan (spelling!) did he not ride inGP

Matea Ferjan (spelling!) did he not ride inGP

Matej Ferjan was a past GP rider who subsequently rode in the PL - not the other way round.

Does Jason Crump count?

Crump, Ryan Sullivan and Scott Nicholls were all PL riders with Peterborough who went on to become regular GP riders.

Matej Ferjan was a past GP rider who subsequently rode in the PL - not the other way round.

Matej first rode in the UK in 1998 for Belle Vue. He first rode in the GP in 2001.

Matej first rode in the UK in 1998 for Belle Vue. He first rode in the GP in 2001.

But Belle Vue were in the EL not the PL. He first rode in PL for Newcastle in 2011.

• Like 1

But Belle Vue were in the EL not the PL. He first rode in PL for Newcastle in 2011.

I know. I was confirming what you said that he was signed by Newcastle after he was a permanent GP rider.

Davey Watt rode in PL for Newcastle in 2002 and also in seven GPS between 2010 and 2017.

Also arguably Brian Anderson who signed for Newcastle late in the 1991 season but only rode in three challenge matches and was transferred to Coventry in 1992 and then became a GP rider.

I thought he had 6 meetings for us, but was loaned to us after winning the World U21 title. Richard Bailey obtained his signature for him to test the PL, but it was on loan I think from Coventry.

I thought he had 6 meetings for us, but was loaned to us after winning the World U21 title. Richard Bailey obtained his signature for him to test the PL, but it was on loan I think from Coventry.

There was an interview some years ago on the Speedway Plus website in which he said he signed for Newcastle for the rest of the season but there was a clause that if a higher league came after him he would be released. Ill try and find it over the weekend as Im away from home at the moment.

• Like 1

So it's Newcastle with the most GP Stars in :-

Brian Anderson, Nicki, Bjarne, KB, the late Matej Ferjan, Matej Kus, Pepe Franc, Davey Watt .

Did Mario Jirout or Kenni Larsen ever ride in a GP ?

You can add Craig Cook (Buxton) to your list of NL riders who went on to the GP

Peterborough Thundercats tracked three riders who rode at Cardiff as wildcards - Stead, Howe, King

• Like 1

Brian Anderson, Nicki, Bjarne, KB, the late Matej Ferjan, Matej Kus, Pepe Franc, Davey Watt .

The question was How many future GP riders have PL teams had. Surely Kus and Franc dont count as they had already ridden in a GP before joining Newcastle. Same for Ferjan who in addition did not ride one after joining. Jirout and Larsen dont apply either but how about Lubos Tomicek and Robert Lambert?

Certainly did, 1999 season.

• Like 1