British Speedway Forum
Gresham

Team Combined Average Limit...

If you look at the huge increase in popularity of fantasy football and online gambling, I think the statistical side of sport is massively popular.

In my opinion, speedway doesn't emphasise the statistically side of the sport enough. There is a vast potential markets of statos which could be targeted.

When I first attended speedway and for a number of years the statistical side of the sport used to fascinate me but it began to diminish with age and the pleasure, for me, was the occasion and meeting up with colleagues...but, hey, if that's what the younger generation wants who am I to argue!

• Like 1

When I first attended speedway and for a number of years the statistical side of the sport used to fascinate me but it began to diminish with age and the pleasure, for me, was the occasion and meeting up with colleagues...but, hey, if that's what the younger generation wants who am I to argue!

Ditto.

In my youth, Seery's Statistics was always my favourite page in Speedway Star. I used to try and add my own stats too such as which rider or team suffered the most number of exclusions or breakdowns. Now, I couldn't care less.

Edited by Sotonian
  • Like 1

Yes...I have considered why certain people can illustrate with examples...basically they are the 'pedants' of the forum. People who only see one point of the argument, who cannot see the whole picture and refuse to see the reason for the thread and it's other points.

Whilst purely statistically, you can come to a figure...but that figure doesn't mean it's for the good of Speedway.

The problem with people who enjoy statistics is they are often blinkered and can't/won't see past those numbers.

It's an aggressive sport for ruthless men on bikes with no breaks, racing to the limit...A sport that has the same type of following as most team sports in this country.

If you think Speedway in this day and age will attract new fans because of it's attractiveness for filling in programmes and working out stat's, then IMO...you are completely deluded, and out of touch with modern society in this country.

I've taken various newbies to the speedway. They've all enjoyed the actual racing...but all commented on how funny it was, watching a bunch of old men, with heads like pigeons bobbing up and down in their programmes instantly after the end of a heat. None of them found that a draw to the meeting...just something comical and in fact a turn off.

Imo...the 'programme and it's filling in' during a meeting, has been part of the downfall to speedways unpopularity. Whilst past generations might have enjoyed it, I don't think the younger generation do. It's enabled Promotors to be lazy in how they present a meeting....no reason to 'entertain' between heats, just let the public read their programmes and fill them in.

Imo...the infatuation with stats in team building by the BSPA, and the way it's done, and it's reasons, pretty much destroys continuity with riders at teams each season. Whether 'statistically' it is correct...is by the by...it is wrong in so many ways for the good of speedway and what fans want from a team.

In the same way...the same for programme filling in by the public. Something that speedway has done over the years...but is it right for Speedway now?

Older generations used to sit at County cricket games filling in score books. County games have similar crowds to speedway.

Cricket...a game of stats...saw the need to move on and modernise. 50-50, 20-20...entertainment and razzmatazz...and scoreboards showing you all you need to know. People watching the game, being entertained...not doing something they could be doing in their own homes. Sat filling in books.

For all the reasons mentioned in this post...that's why I think the team building average should be higher...not purely down to pure maths.

Being right doesn't make you a pedant.

However, being wrong and refusing to accept that even when it's explained makes you... I'll let you decide.

Nice long post, most of it complete nonsense as I highly doubt a SINGLE one of the people you took to the sport commented on 'heads nodding up and down'. That line comes alongside the 'pub erupted in laughter' when I explained .... (substitute in any rule the poster doesn't like but is struggling to give reasons why).

None of the post above supports a higher or lower points limit either with the exception of team continuity, unless you think that folk will say, ooh the points limit is 45, I won't bother with a programme anymore. It quite simply has zero relevance and is just another futile attempt to cover up the fact that you were WRONG.

As for your being out of touch with 'modern society', it's quite clear that YOU are the one who is out of touch. There are more and more stats being produced for every sport going (bar speedway). Why is that? Because folk lap it up. There are a multitude of apps crammed to the hilt with statistics that are used for many purposes from general interest to betting.

Edited by BWitcher

I hold exactly the same views as yourself steve.

As most people will be aware from my previous Posts on this Thread.

• Like 1

Ditto.

In my youth, Seery's Statistics was always my favourite page in Speedway Star. I used to try and add my own stats too such as which rider or team suffered the most number of exclusions or breakdowns. Now, I couldn't care less.

Isn't this supporting that the younger you are the more interested you are in this sort of thing?

And it's the younger generation the sport needs.

Isn't this supporting that the younger you are the more interested you are in this sort of thing?

...yes as it was for me when I was younger but diminished personally over the years as i stated.

• Like 1

Yes. Use that as bait to lure them and with luck they'll find other reasons to keep them interested.

• Like 2

If only someone had thought to do that ;)

http://speedway-stats.co.uk/

Wow. A winter full of analysis!

Seriously, data is great. Meaningful information is power.

Can't say what it is like in the UK now,but over the last 5 years stats in Bundesliga football has boomed.Television analysis,newspaper reports and videotext are full of who made the most tackles,failed passes,shots on goal,ran the longest distance,the fastest,the most possession etc etc etc

Can't say what it is like in the UK now,but over the last 5 years stats in Bundesliga football has boomed.Television analysis,newspaper reports and videotext are full of who made the most tackles,failed passes,shots on goal,ran the longest distance,the fastest,the most possession etc etc etc

Bundesliga isn't in the real modern world Iris! :)

When I was 15 I kept an exercise book with all of Swindon's scores and my own calulated averages. I still have it. Somewhere. I think.

When I was 15 I kept an exercise book with all of Swindon's scores and my own calulated averages. I still have it. Somewhere. I think.

Same, mine are in a folder somewhere in the loft at home. Happy days!

Mine start in the late 50's through to the early 70's and cover every first division team. I can remember the time I saved when calculators became available and affordable. They're all recorded in notebooks which are now somewhere in the garage. I've not looked at them for years, just hope the mice haven't found them.

• Like 1