British Speedway Forum
Gresham

Team Combined Average Limit...

....Can someone explain to me how the BSPA decide on the limit each year.

Imo...it should be set at 45.00

The points needed to draw a meeting.

I totalled up the final issue averages of the top 4 sides from last season. Combined they averaged 45.18

Seems logical to me.

Averages are based on 4 rides per rider, therefore 28 rides or 14 heats.

Therefore status quo would be an aggregate average of 42 points.

• Like 2

IT SHOULDN'T BE 45!

Sorry but as soon as someone say it should be 45 your opinion is totally invalid as you clearly don't understand averages.

Averages are points divided by rides, multiplied by 4. There are 90 points in a meeting, thats 60 rides. Thats 90/60x4=6.00. There are 7 riders, so 6.00x7 is 42. But what if I told you it's actually less than 42 too. The reason? Well the 4 riders picked for heat 15 have averaged more than 6 each before heat 15 so heat 15 actually lowers their averages. In reality it's about 40.9 over a season.

So 40.9 in theory means you maintain last years strength.

IT SHOULDN'T BE 45!

Sorry but as soon as someone say it should be 45 your opinion is totally invalid as you clearly don't understand averages.

Averages are points divided by rides, multiplied by 4. There are 90 points in a meeting, thats 60 rides. Thats 90/60x4=6.00. There are 7 riders, so 6.00x7 is 42. But what if I told you it's actually less than 42 too. The reason? Well the 4 riders picked for heat 15 have averaged more than 6 each before heat 15 so heat 15 actually lowers their averages. In reality it's about 40.9 over a season.

Every year the same old question isn't it. :nono::nono::D

Is the heat 15 skew not cancelled out by heat 2 riders meeting each other ?

Edited by Tsunami

Is the heat 15 skew not cancelled out by heat 2 riders meeting each other ?

NOOOOO!!!!!! Because this is part of the 4 rides.

Also the number 7 sometimes having only 3 rides can pull overall averages down a little.

Just to expand on the above, some heats 1-14 will raise the average, some will decrease it, but over the 14 heats, assuming all riders take 4 rides, 42 will be the average team average (assuming at least 3 finishers per race).

Where the average gets skewed is when riders have a 5th ride. In the event of extra heats, if the rider average is above 6 the heat will reduce averages and vice versa (so an extra reserve race could mover averages above 42). In terms of substitute rides within the 14 heats, a higher averages rider replacing a lower averages rider will bring down overall averages (and vice versa).

As a side note, I assume the OP was taking the p with his suggestion? Surely, surely after the number of fines the topic has been covered no one genuinely thinks like this?

• Like 1

IT SHOULDN'T BE 45!

I fully understand how averages are made up.

However...I see it from not just a statistical stance.

A team put together with a combined average of 40.9, would mean that they would be no where near the realistic strength to draw, let alone win a meeting...45, 46 points being the minimum required.

If you were to take the combined average of the top four teams each season, it would give every team a fighting chance to strengthen, and for those that made the top four, a good chance of keeping the riders they already have and some continuity for the fans.

The latter being the most important part for me.

The way the averages are combined every year, make it hard for teams to keep together...no continuity. All they encourage is teams to be torn apart each season...which imo, is one of the reasons fans struggle to keep interested in going.

• Like 1

I fully understand how averages are made up.

However...I see it from not just a statistical stance.

A team put together with a combined average of 40.9, would mean that they would be no where near the realistic strength to draw, let alone win a meeting...45, 46 points being the minimum required.

If you were to take the combined average of the top four teams each season, it would give every team a fighting chance to strengthen, and for those that made the top four, a good chance of keeping the riders they already have and some continuity for the fans.

The latter being the most important part for me.

The way the averages are combined every year, make it hard for teams to keep together...no continuity. All they encourage is teams to be torn apart each season...which imo, is one of the reasons fans struggle to keep interested in going.

It doesnt seem you get it at all? How could a team built to the average strength of the league struggle to draw? They would generally win at home lose away. Or are you assuming they will all have 4 rides and put no one out in heat 15.

If y set the limit to 45 - how are all teams going to build to that? Where are the extra riders coming from to add the extra 30-40 points to the league?

sorry Gresham you are not understanding - however if we used the Swedish (I think) system of race averages there would be no confusion.

or it could even be expressed as a percentage

SCB... it should be 45 :t:

sorry Gresham you are not understanding - however if we used the Swedish (I think) system of race averages there would be no confusion.

or it could even be expressed as a percentage

Its staggerring that anyone can find the concept complex, theyve been calculated the same way since the BL was formed (probably earlier).

SCB... it should be 45 :t:

Assuming this is a piss-take?

Its staggerring that anyone can find the concept complex, theyve been calculated the same way since the BL was formed (probably earlier).

Assuming this is a piss-take?

to be fair it hasn't moved with the times - it was designed for the 13 heat days - I find it easy to understand but its another thing a newcomer might find odd

to be fair it hasn't moved with the times - it was designed for the 13 heat days - I find it easy to understand but its another thing a newcomer might find odd

In those days reserves had 3 rides.