British Speedway Forum
SCB

Two Year Contracts

In the last 10-15 years what examples do people have of riders signing multi-year contracts? And how many of them ended up not happening?

I can think of Nicholls at BV (leaving after 1 year), Hans at Poole (but Poole still announcing he'd agreed terms) and Doyle at Swindon (ending after a year).

Any other examples? And do they actually mean anything where a club can sack a rider without reason before hes even raced a meeting anyway?

Hans did his 2 years at Poole - 2016 and 2017

He did. But even Matt agrees that it was all bullrubbish, read his quote

http://www.skysports.com/speedway/news/12268/10660265/hans-andersen-back-with-poole-pirates-for-2017-season

I think Scotty did his 2 one at the old Stadium and one at the New stadium

No, he signed a 2 year deal when they moved to the NSS.

We have had Ryan Douglas on a 3 year visa & unfortunately, he has to have a years grace. There was only injuries every year that dented his confidence as he would easily be a 7-pointer in the Championship.

Will be missed.

• Like 1

I think the answer tothe question of Contracts for Riders in Speedway, as in Football, is that that they are only valid as long as both Parties are in agreement.

If one side or the other gets fed up or wants more money etc.. Contracts don't seem to matter a damn.

An example of this in Football is a Player playing badly for his Club in order to engineer a move. That, in effect, is breaking your Contract.

Not sure if that happens in Speedway , though I do have my suspicions.

An example of this in Football is a Player playing badly for his Club in order to engineer a move. That, in effect, is breaking your Contract.

Not sure if that happens in Speedway , though I do have my suspicions.

In most occupations, either party can terminate a contract with typically 1-3 months notice (sometimes longer). Why should sport be any different?

And whilst in football, contracts are generally expected to be honoured by the club in full (although sometimes players are loaned or sold to other clubs on similar terms to reduce the wage bill), it seems speedway riders (other than those on work permits) can be dropped with little or no compensation regardless of the contract length. So very much in favour of the employer, although it also has to be acknowledged they're living pretty much hand-to-mouth as well.

I remember Graham Drury signing, if I recall, a three year contract with Oxford but was dispensed with after two years (when Oxford re-entered the British League in 1984). He took the promotion to court and won receiving compensation.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Was Stoney not on a multiple term contract at Worky under Thomas. ?

...didn't Tom Owen once sign a ten year contract with 'The Diamonds'?

...didn't Tom Owen once sign a ten year contract with 'The Diamonds'?

yes a great publicity stunt by Ian Thomas who later admitted that Tom signed a membership form for the junior section of the supporters club

Edited by toontrader
  • Like 2

yes a great publicity stunt by Ian Thomas who later admitted that Tom signed a membership form for the junior section of the supporters club

The reason we got Nicki in 1998 was he hadn't signed by anybody including Peterborough. Peter Oakes got him to sign a blank piece of paper in 1997 in front of the crowd, after he had spins there with Ronni being attached to them at that time. We were tipped off of his availability and we signed Nicki after our delayed start that year.

• Like 1