British Speedway Forum
waytogo28

2017 Profit & Loss

With the surprising ( to me news ) that although Swindon had a good season on track ( or what is considered to be one ) and yet they had a financially loss making season. So did any tracks in any of the leagues, at least break even?

This news does not surprise me, however it does surprise me that the premiership clubs have gone into 2018 without reducing costs.

I estimate they will have a big financial hole to fill by June and some urgent cost cutting measures will need to be introduced.

• Like 2

This news does not surprise me, however it does surprise me that the premiership clubs have gone into 2018 without reducing costs.

I estimate they will have a big financial hole to fill by June and some urgent cost cutting measures will need to be introduced.

Yes.

It is really quite amazing that we have all been examining minute detail arising from the already miniscule moves at the AGM.

Whilst ignoring the big bad smelly Elephant in the BSPA room.

The Sky money has gone.

And what is to replace that massive gaping hole in the finances of the PL clubs, in particular ?.

On that we have had no news at all.

One thing is for certain.

If I were a rider, a shale supplier, a Landlord or any other creditor of a 2018 Speedway promoter who cannot answer that conundrum.

Then I would want to be paid up-front. And in cash.

Edited by Grand Central

Well, Swindon have probably reduced their costs for a start by not signing Jason Doyle.

Well, Swindon have probably reduced their costs for a start by not signing Jason Doyle.

and they and the bspa have been crucified by the fans for it Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

With the surprising ( to me news ) that although Swindon had a good season on track ( or what is considered to be one ) and yet they had a financially loss making season. So did any tracks in any of the leagues, at least break even?

Sad to say it seems to be the case these days,sucess/Title winning teams need to be avoided to balance the books

Kind of dismisses the idea of building strong teams and the fans will come flooding in,not a good situation

• Like 1

I remember the late Colin Hill, promoter at Exeter for many years, used to make small profits because he didn't indulge in throwing money about but put out a team that was generally competitive...certainly at home.

Promotions in the past have spent serious amounts to bring success on track but often end up rueing the fact when finances don't add up at the season's end.

I can't remember the specific team that won the championship one season but fans didn't flock in any greater numbers to justify the outlay.

I guess it's trying to get the balance right...easier said than done!

and they and the bspa have been crucified by the fans for it

True and I'm not saying I agree with the decision but I'd like to bet Nick Morris is cheaper than Jason Doyle, especially now he is World Champion.

Neil Machin used to make a profit at Sheffield because he built teams to win at home, he once said that is more profitable to have a team that won at home than a team that was high up the league but not doing so well at home

• Like 1

Neil Machin used to make a profit at Sheffield because he built teams to win at home, he once said that is more profitable to have a team that won at home than a team that was high up the league but not doing so well at home

I think that I may be right in suggesting that that was the mindset of Len Silver also?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I can't remember the specific team that won the championship one season but fans didn't flock in any greater numbers to justify the outlay.

Would that be Ellesmere Port 1985?

And the BSPA should be crucified for it because they've caused the issue over many numbers of seasons.

• Like 1

Back in the '60s Trevor Redmond reckoned that if he could break even through the season then his promoters share of the Wembley Final payout was what made the year profitable.
Of course that's all long gone.

• Like 1

I guess it's trying to get the balance right...easier said than done!

Its interesting reading the various Backtrack inspired publications, just how many promotions lived hand-to-mouth even during the so-called golden era and how many lost their shirts.

Id guess the promotions that have been in business for many years are the ones ** at least not losing money.

• Like 2

Its interesting reading the various Backtrack inspired publications, just how many promotions lived hand-to-mouth even during the so-called golden era and how many lost their shirts.

Id guess the promotions that have been in business for many years are the ones ** at least not losing money.

Len Silvers book describes the hand to mouth existence they had even in the seventies. For a lot of promoters it was like being a one man band. Lens book for example describes how he woukd travel up to Sunderland on race day with George Barclay ( then the Sunderland captain ) open up the Stadium, get the tractor out and prepare the track himself, run the meeting, collect the takings, do the accounts and the following weeks programme notes in the car coming back home while George Baclay drove, then at the half way point swap seats and George would write his captains programme notes while Len drove and th whole operation was basically done in one long day.

In later years when Len returned to the sport after a break he put in a tremendous amount of work to get his Sliver Ski business going which proved to be very profitable but most of the profits went into buying and running Rye House. Len Sliver the man is a very single minded and difficult man to get on with but Len Silver the promoter has ploughed a fortune into the sport for very little return and could probably have been a multi millionaire with his involvement in Speedwáy . All that is of course light years away from Swindon who seem to have wasted money on expensive riders that couldn't afford for years, and have a terrible reputation for not paying riders or keeping them waiting a long time for their money.

Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 4

to paraphrase the old joke - you can make thousands promoting speedway but you have to start with millions!

• Like 1