British Speedway Forum
waytogo28

2017 Profit & Loss

What amazes me is, all these clubs that are suffering big financial losses, still come to the tapes the following season. The promoters must have very deep pockets or creative accountants.

I recall that Danny Dunton & Bob Dugard made a huge loss after White City won the title (is it really forty years ago now!) but came back for another season before calling a halt to league speedway at Wood Lane and moving the operation to Eastbourne in 1979.

That was back during the supposed affluent seventies (although running speedway at Wood Lane must have been a massive undertaking) so goodness knows how modern promoters even begin to break even never mind generate a small profit.

Edited by steve roberts

I recall that Danny Dunton & Bob Dugard made a huge loss after White City won the title (is it really forty years ago now!) but came back for another season before calling a halt to league speedway at Wood Lane and moving the operation to Eastbourne in 1979.

That was back during the supposed affluent seventies (although running speedway at Wood Lane must have been a massive undertaking) so goodness knows how modern promoters even begin to break even never mind generate a small profit.

Yes it is a truly difficult task and that makes it so hard to understand why some promoters seem so unwilling listen to the ideas and feedback of supporters ( many of whom have business experience ). That insistence on "we know best and its our money anyway" persists - when all sides working together to make the best of UK speedway, for all to enjoy and that allows less money to be "burned", would likely bring a better sport all round.

• Like 3

With the surprising ( to me news ) that although Swindon had a good season on track ( or what is considered to be one ) and yet they had a financially loss making season. So did any tracks in any of the leagues, at least break even?

It nearly always happens, had to pay out too much to winning team, happened to Lynn in 2000 etc

the original plan was to reopen harringay, but Len silver objected. The promoters at white city were banking on the ex Wembley fans turning up to support the venture, but this never happened. Wood lane was a bit of a white elephant, but i loved it there. I only missed four meetings at the city between 1976 -83, not a bad record.
  • Like 2

Whilst you don't always go out to win the league, entertaining your own fans at home is priority, if you make some good decisions and work with others you sometimes do get a league winning side. Our link with Danish people, and the signings of Nicki, Bjarne, and later KB, had a lot to do with our success in 2001. We got a decent set of riders with Bjarne, Jesper, Andre, Kevin, etc, and were heading for a title all the year, together with Hull who had a good solid side. With only a few meetings left we went away to Hull and beat them, which virtually assured us of the PL title. Due to more points to pay for, we made a loss winning the title, but I was told after the Hull meeting that they had then lost £60k trying to win it. That team, but with KB instead of Bjarne, went on to be level with Sheffield on league points in 2002, but Sheffield won that title because they had higher aggregate points than us due to their vast track advantage. So once again. we made a loss.

• Like 1

the original plan was to reopen harringay, but Len silver objected. The promoters at white city were banking on the ex Wembley fans turning up to support the venture, but this never happened. Wood lane was a bit of a white elephant, but i loved it there. I only missed four meetings at the city between 1976 -83, not a bad record.

Yes I followed 'The Rebels' from Cowley and never missed a league meeting and did many of the open international leagues when 'The Rebels' moved on. It was a great stadium and I remember being in awe of the place!

I had forgotten the Harringay connection.

• Like 1

They continued to lose money at Eastbourne. A lot of it.

Should we trust anybody within the sport who accepts losing money every season?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

...yes I followed them to Eastbourne as well.

to paraphrase the old joke - you can make thousands promoting speedway but you have to start with millions!

Yep, how to make a small fortune in speedway, start with a large one.

• Like 2

Whilst you don't always go out to win the league, entertaining your own fans at home is priority, if you make some good decisions and work with others you sometimes do get a league winning side. Our link with Danish people, and the signings of Nicki, Bjarne, and later KB, had a lot to do with our success in 2001. We got a decent set of riders with Bjarne, Jesper, Andre, Kevin, etc, and were heading for a title all the year, together with Hull who had a good solid side. With only a few meetings left we went away to Hull and beat them, which virtually assured us of the PL title. Due to more points to pay for, we made a loss winning the title, but I was told after the Hull meeting that they had then lost £60k trying to win it. That team, but with KB instead of Bjarne, went on to be level with Sheffield on league points in 2002, but Sheffield won that title because they had higher aggregate points than us due to their vast track advantage. So once again. we made a loss.

Hull lost a fair bit in 2004 winning the treble: Craven Shield, KOC Cup + League = loads of big wins + many points, promoters prefer scores to be 3-3 then a 4-2 in the final heat, less bonus points to pay out.

Led to cheaper team by choice in 2005 despite loads of sponsorship and advertising being achieved, in proggie & every 3rd fence panel. I.e. it takes some doing to get all 3 armed forces to advertise. The crowds hardly increased, if at all, yet local media coverage was very good. We had a minimum of full page in the Hull Daily Mail on match days, back page in colour if no footie or rugby matches, same the next nite with the result, plus a few 2 page spreads at the start of the season & during the year as we closed in on trophies in addition then odd half page column during the week.

Yet folk would ask me "how are the Vikings doing, did you ride or win last night ?" - these were folk who were into sport and read the local paper. Sometimes words fail me....

• Like 2

Hull lost a fair bit in 2004 winning the treble: Craven Shield, KOC Cup + League = loads of big wins + many points, promoters prefer scores to be 3-3 then a 4-2 in the final heat, less bonus points to pay out.

Really? Surely 15 4-2 heats is the cheapest outcome, with 8 in favour of the home team to clinch the win.

• Like 2

Should we trust anybody within the sport who accepts losing money every season?

Certainly where loss making is concerned speedway is little different to other sports. The losses incurred and debts owed by Championship football clubs are millions and tens of millions. Bolton are the worst : their debt after the 2015/16 season was pushing £200m, an eye watering figure which even when you take relative turnover, crowds and income into account makes losses run up by speedway promoters look like chicken feed. In addition, the clubs are almost entirely owned by wealthy individuals with money to burn.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/football-finance-championship-club-by-club-2015-16

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Really? Surely 15 4-2 heats is the cheapest outcome, with 8 in favour of the home team to clinch the win.

I know, but it's what I was told. Also when fans complain about the increase in admission most promoters pay way more to watch their speedway, usually around £10,000, while we critcise them I guess we should be pleased that they are willing to do so....

I know, but it's what I was told. Also when fans complain about the increase in admission most promoters pay way more to watch their speedway, usually around £10,000, while we critcise them I guess we should be pleased that they are willing to do so....

I agree but equally - they could do something about it use one of their conferences to work on reducing costs - easier said than done but necessary