British Speedway Forum
Ommer Mon

Cradley 2018?

They can still fit in a duo like Joe Lawlor & Taylor Hampshire. Imagine that as a pair of reserves in the final.

Cradley came back into the league, beating all before them, with 1500+ crowds enabling them to pay decent wages on top of a good riders package. They cherry picked the better riders, until after 5 or 6 years just the hardcore were left, money in shortfall, ground sharing at 2 clubs while still hoping, after nearly 10 years, of having their own stadium. They milked it & lined their own pockets & are trying it on, again, for a successful return in 2019 cherry picking top riders. Mark my words, they don't like playing 2nd fiddle this past few years to Birmingham, Eastbourne, Belle Vue & probably Mildenhall this next year.

I agree with others in that they should have picked from available riders or, at least, a limit on riders declared in 2018 teams.  

• Like 1

Well done Cradley and all who run the club. You should all hang your heads in shame for devaluing the National Trophy.

You have lost my sympathy in your search for a new home because it seems you care only about yourselves and not the sport as a whole.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Cradley came back into the league, beating all before them, with 1500+ crowds enabling them to pay decent wages on top of a good riders package. They cherry picked the better riders, until after 5 or 6 years just the hardcore were left, money in shortfall, ground sharing at 2 clubs while still hoping, after nearly 10 years, of having their own stadium. They milked it & lined their own pockets & are trying it on, again, for a successful return in 2019 cherry picking top riders. Mark my words, they don't like playing 2nd fiddle this past few years to Birmingham, Eastbourne, Belle Vue & probably Mildenhall this next year.

I agree with others in that they should have picked from available riders or, at least, a limit on riders declared in 2018 teams.  

Best Post on this Cradley thread 

8 hours ago, Panthers89 said:

So what is the current dream team? And what’s left?

It’s on the confirmed signings thread but Roynon, Jenkins, Bickley, Kemp & Edwards with 9.47 left. 

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

It's hardly Cradley's fault, this farce of a team selection?

It's the people that run the league/competition that allow these farcical rules!

Surely Cradley will get more fans/backing if they field a strong a team as possible ?

At the end of the day they are going to get more neutrals to their fixtures if they have 'top talented' riders riding?

And who cares who wins the '???'  oh, yes.....'National Trophy' in the 3rd tier of a dying sport!?

Cradley are my teams biggest enemy....but I don't begrudge them the chance to see their clubs colours flying!

Life's way too short to get worked up over something so trivial !

Must agree with GiveusaB.  If Cradley are to attract anything like a crowd, they must have an attractive team. And the

other clubs in their section of the National Trophy will also benefit. The suggestion that the promoters are only trying to

"line their pockets" is ludicrous....isn't earning profit what Speedway promoting is all about ?  And when that does not happen

the club folds up...so please do not "Knock" profit,  let's have more of it.......

• Thanks 1

Well I'm delighted withthe approach from the promoters. We've got some of the most promising youngster in the sport and I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Don't forget a strong, successful Cradley team = plenty of away support and that must be good news for the Clubs we will be visiting.

Sad that we've only got 'half a season' but it's better than the alternative of sitting at home on race nights.

Dwyer signing changes things. Under previous season’s rules all riders have to have a permanent spot but something must have changed to allow the Dwyer signing. So riders out of work, like Bowtell, could have got a NL ride. Also NT meetings don’t count towards an average, so how will he get a 2018 average?

3 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Dwyer signing changes things. Under previous season’s rules all riders have to have a permanent spot but something must have changed to allow the Dwyer signing. So riders out of work, like Bowtell, could have got a NL ride. Also NT meetings don’t count towards an average, so how will he get a 2018 average?

Very good question and does seem a slightly bizarre move from both parties? Why would Cradley want a rider who is only doing 8 meetings and would be very rusty compared to others & why would Dwyer turn down a full team place to just do 8 meetings?

I assume that his average will remain the same as effectively he is taking a year out from league racing the same as Chessell is starting 2018 on his 2016 average?

42 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Very good question and does seem a slightly bizarre move from both parties? Why would Cradley want a rider who is only doing 8 meetings and would be very rusty compared to others & why would Dwyer turn down a full team place to just do 8 meetings?

I assume that his average will remain the same as effectively he is taking a year out from league racing the same as Chessell is starting 2018 on his 2016 average?

Thanks for clearing that up then Sings  :neutral:

Jason Edwards, Drew Kemp, Jordan Jenkins, Adam Roynon will all be cup tied, if normal sporting rules apply. But, hey ho, it's speedway where the rules are made up as we go along.

Cradley will have seven 'guests'...

A good few tracks (as is often the case every year) will run at some stage during the season with four 'guests' and rider replacement...

Not that much different is it?

Both scenarios being farcical, however..

This is British Speedway don't forget, so hardly any surprise there...

And fans are more than well used to it by now, so those who still attend will accept any nonsense put out before them...

So fair play to those in charge for continually serving it up...

Edited by mikebv