British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Scott Nicholls Not Allowed To Ride In The Championship?

Nobody complained about the rule when it was originally in force and it makes sense as the best riders in the top tier shouldnt make easy pickings on the second tier. The issue is it seemingly only affects Nicholls, but is it right having the calibre of Harris & Morris in the second tier? Surely theyre too good which in turn dilutes the Premiership as the top riders arent even unique to that league.

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 2

So GP rider Cook could do CL in 2018 and we know Morris & Harris also. Sounds like a great reward for the man given the outstanding contribution to British Speedway award this year. Sometimes the BSPA are astounding in their ineptness,this is British Speedway, start supporting British riders :mad:

• Like 4

So GP rider Cook could do CL in 2018 and we know Morris & Harris also. Sounds like a great reward for the man given the outstanding contribution to British Speedway award this year. Sometimes the BSPA are astounding in their ineptness,this is British Speedway, start supporting British riders :mad:

Yes a GP rider can double up but not Nichols, you couldn't make it up, except the BSPA have

wonder who he has upset

Nobody complained about the rule when it was originally in force and it makes sense as the best riders in the top tier shouldnt make easy pickings on the second tier. The issue is it seemingly only affects Nicholls, but is it right having the calibre of Harris & Morris in the second tier? Surely theyre too good which in turn dilutes the Premiership as the top riders arent even unique to that league.

The averages of Harris & Morris plus the scores from Nicholls guesting last season suggests that none of them are 'too good' for the second division.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

And an aussie that will be a number one for the defending champions..a rider deemed good enough to put the world champion out of a job🤔🤔

• Like 1

I'd love to be involved in the sport and summoned to HQ for a dressing down where they say they'll throw the rulebook at me

...... except there isn’t really a rule book - you’d be stalked every night through the season by a shady promoter scribbling new rules on post it notes and fag packets!

So Scott could guest last season in the Championship but cannot ride this season in the Championship?

Ok....

That makes sense...

Once again it is one of those needless 'let's add this on' rules that frustrate the Sport's followers and sees us looking at the sport in a negative way....

(And that never can be good for a business)

Now, there may be a genuinely great reason why Scott cannot ride in the Championship with a converted Premiership average...

However typically with the BSPA, you never get the rationale behind any ruling....

Start sharing the rationale for decisions made and maybe they would get a better hearing?

• Like 1

A simple case of restraint of trade.

Spot on.

I'm just waiting for a rich sponsor or campaigning lawyer to come along and "do a Bosman" and we'd see that the whole BSPA house of cards will come tumbling down.

• Like 1

According to the meeting at Peterborough last night, the same supposed rule will also stop Kennett dropping down a division. If this is the case Lakeside may need to reconsider if the rumours are true.

The 'stupidity' of the rule is that it is, effectively, a life time ban from the Championship (or until such time as said riders get their averages in the Premier below six points).

As I, and others, have said before, it is a 'restraint of trade' issue which would not survive a first legal hearing given the fact that others with similar PL averages are allowed to compete in the Championship.

• Like 1

It’s total madness and contradicts the promoters’ frequently quoted rationale of “cost-cutting”. Obviously, it would be cheaper to allow Nicholls and Kennett to double up rather than have to fly in the likes of Riss, Bjerre, Jørgensen, Palm Toft, Lindgren and Heartel, not to mention the Aussie brigade who think we owe them a living!

• Like 1

I don't think Nicholls should be in the CL. The problem is, Harris and Morris are allowed to be. Even Cook would be allowed to be if he wanted to.

It's actually a sensible move. If teams want riders of that caliber then move up.

The 'stupidity' of the rule is that it is, effectively, a life time ban from the Championship (or until such time as said riders get their averages in the Premier below six points).

That's always how it used to be. I still remember Richard Hellsen's comedy last band in order to stay below 6.00 with much amusement.

I don't think Nicholls should be in the CL. The problem is, Harris and Morris are allowed to be. Even Cook would be allowed to be if he wanted to.

It's actually a sensible move. If teams want riders of that caliber then move up.

That's always how it used to be. I still remember Richard Hellsen's comedy last band in order to stay below 6.00 with much amusement.

You have highlighted the key issue - 'consistency' of application across PL riders with similar averages. It either applies to all or none.