British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

2019 Sgp Qualifiers - GP challenge final landshut Saturday July 28th

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

Every rider should be paid for his work.     He would have expenses for travel and his team.

But is it work to take part and wanting to become an individual World Champion in your chosen sport? Me thinks it sport and you should put some effort in it. and your money.

Riding for Leicester at home once a week and away twice a week is work.

Congratulations to Cookie and Max..... well done guys!

36 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

But is it work to take part and wanting to become an individual World Champion in your chosen sport? Me thinks it sport and you should put some effort in it. and your money.

Riding for Leicester at home once a week and away twice a week is work.

I doubt it's well paid work for a GP qualifier but it should be paid work.   We differ in opinion.       Dont disagree some effort should be put in but realistically you can't be left with only expenses for a days work if, using a good example, you were Lambert who came 4th and traveled from the UK.

I just dont like the word work in this. You’ve chosen a sport and what I’ve done in my sports was to put all eggs in one basket and go for it. Never amounted to much but I tried. :blink:

Only way I see a GP qualification as work is about riding for your country ( pride should cover that) and representing your sponsors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, f-s-p said:

I just dont like the word work in this. You’ve chosen a sport and what I’ve done in my sports was to put all eggs in one basket and go for it. Never amounted to much but I tried. :blink:

Only way I see a GP qualification as work is about riding for your country ( pride should cover that) and representing your sponsors.

Its professional sport, you get paid to do a job.   Same as me when I go to work.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

To add to KK and Kolodziej - no chance with any luck.    Very unlikely it would happen but if results went well for the Poles in the 2018 GP and Challenge there could be 7 in the 2019 GP's which is overload.

I don't agree with wildcards for the challenge but would bend in the case of injury.    Nor do I agree with a local wildcard which is pointless and unfair.    Places should be earnt in the GP series not given away.    Under the current rules I hope the rider who finished 4th in each qualfier gets the wild card.

So you say with any luck wildcards wouldnt go to two poles but then reccomend giving to the riders who finished fourth, which would mean two poles and two brits?

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TWO Poles?

Are there two better candidates? Maybe it is unlikely, of the two i assume pawlicki would get it. Opening up a spot for Milik?

In which case Hampel has to be considered unlucky, given his gp record, losing place due to injuries and form since. 

17 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It's ludicrous to have a local wildcard in such an important event, espiecially  now that they cut down the number of qualification meetings.Lambert probably deserves one as up and coming rider ,not sure who else though.Certainly not Harris at his level now.

16 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Yes but no. Not even gonna check the rulebook, but SEC challenge was 11k in prize money to be paid by the organiser. GP Challenge is most likely more. Now imagine this meeting in Landshut without a single German rider…

I dont like Landshut the track either, but we need every organiser there is for these events.

If they're going with local wildcards they should have the GP Challenge in Britain at Belle Vue. 

That way, there's no need for "local" wildcards as such but a genuine challenger given 1 of the 4 wildcards.

This would also benefit British fans and almost compensates for just 1 GP round.

Belle Vue would get plenty in for a meeting like this from up and down the country. 

43 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

If they're going with local wildcards they should have the GP Challenge in Britain at Belle Vue. 

That way, there's no need for "local" wildcards as such but a genuine challenger given 1 of the 4 wildcards.

This would also benefit British fans and almost compensates for just 1 GP round.

Belle Vue would get plenty in for a meeting like this from up and down the country. 

You’re assuming a brit would get through...

Splash the cash and make BV apply for it 2019. You still have a few months time to gather momemtum!

12 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

So you say with any luck wildcards wouldnt go to two poles but then reccomend giving to the riders who finished fourth, which would mean two poles and two brits?

Don't agree with wild cards.     Do agree with top 4 from the 4 qualifiers getting a spot in the final.   If they are from Poland, Sweden or GB I do not care but that would be my rule.   Earn your place.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 2

It's only in Speedway that a person trying to get to the top of his sport is hampered by Promoters throwing a wildcard in to try and get a few more locals to attend the meeting,if the sport cannot attract a crowd for the field of that stature it is in trouble.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It's only in Speedway that a person trying to get to the top of his sport is hampered by Promoters throwing a wildcard in to try and get a few more locals to attend the meeting,if the sport cannot attract a crowd for the field of that stature it is in trouble.

By that definition speedway is in better health than it was in the 60s/70s when the host nation was guaranteed at least 4 places....

Fwiw im against wildcards for the qualifying rounds, though do understand that if no local qualifies the "top placed non  qualifier" getting that spot (personally id have 4 regional based quarter finals -something like the old overseas, nordic and continental semi finals, followed by inter-conitinental/continental type round, with 8 from each progressing to the challenge (or 7+top ranked gp challenge non qualifier). 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 3:42 PM, Fromafar said:

The sport is in trouble if you haven’t noticed!!It is difficult to get tracks to host meetings,that is why we are told the SWC which many thought was the best competition in speedway has been dropped.We have had the same tracks hosting competitions over and over and over again,until one drops out because it makes nothing out of them and a search for the next mug starts.... 

18 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The sport is in trouble if you haven’t noticed!!It is difficult to get tracks to host meetings,that is why we are told the SWC which many thought was the best competition in speedway has been dropped.We have had the same tracks hosting competitions over and over and over again,until one drops out because it makes nothing out of them and a search for the next mug starts.... 

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I had noticed,Thanks.I also have my own thoughts which I have documented on this forum many times like a lot of like minded fans,but we are just " forum fannies"to many.The chickens are on their way home to roost for speedway in GB .IMO