British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Kelly Moran How Good.?

Was watching some old DVDS the other night and had forgot just how good Kelly Moran was what a talent.In my lifetime talent wise he would be up there with Mike Lee and Darcy Ward for sheer natural ability.Really enjoyed watching Kelly ride a pleasure really a fun guy who always had a smile on his face wondered what memories others on the forum have of Kelly.

hat K

Was watching some old DVDS the other night and had forgot just how good Kelly Moran was what a talent.In my lifetime talent wise he would be up there with Mike Lee and Darcy Ward for sheer natural ability.Really enjoyed watching Kelly ride a pleasure really a fun guy who always had a smile on his face wondered what memories others on the forum have of Kelly.

Mauger quoted that Kelly was the most talented for natural ability

I watched Kelly for two seasons at Eastbourne in his prime, what that guy could do on a bike most could only dream of. Bob Dugard stopped him drinking for a short while, took control of his money and gave him pocket money, he was virtually unbeatable during that time but then went back to his 'fun' lifestyle..

I would sum Kelly up as

Natural Ability 10/10

Entertainment 10/10

Teamwork 10/10

Commitment 5/10

If he more committed he could have been the best rider in the world but I go to speedway to be entertained and in that respect he is one of my favourite riders of all time. I wish Kelly was still with us but as far has his speedway career goes I would have changed him for anything.

If anyone gets the chance go and watch Kelly Moran v Mark Loram in 2 races in South Africa in late 1989 early 1990.

Small tight technical track and these 2 hammer and tongs for 4 laps......breathtaking.

Its on the Loramski the legend dvd and on you tube

Great rider but good job there was not a lot of drug and alcohol testing before meetings IMO.Not just him IMO

I saw Kelly at Sheffield a few times and he was nearly unbeatable a great team rider Kelly and Shawn awesome together.At that time Sheffield had a great side to watch.Shawn!Kelly,Pete Carr,Sean the prawn Wilson great times.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I saw Kelly ride throughout his career...Hull (more often than not for Eastbourne) and eventually his last season at Swindon when he was no longer the star rider he once was. A massive talent and I read that Alan Wilkinson wanted to take him under his wing before he was so cruelly struck down.

Who was the most talented Kelly,shawn,siggy or cowboy cook.How would you rate them?

FOr pure talent probably the order you listed them.

If you were to rank in terms of greatness its a toss up between shooey and siggy, then jelly man then cowboy cookie. Id rate Shaun ahead of sigalos, but perhaps biased as he was my favourite non Ace in the Hyde rd era

• Like 1

Who was the most talented Kelly,shawn,siggy or cowboy cook.How would you rate them?

Never a great fan of Sigalos but I would rate Kelly as the most talented followed by the unpredictable John Cook and then Shawn.

Kelly for me Siggy what a class act he was total class what do you think lris.? respect your opinion alot we dont agree all the time but i respect you.

Ive always thought Shawn the better of the Morans and Im always surprised how many people see it the opposite way round.

Shawns achievements clearly trump Kelly internationally and domestically. I know this debate is about pure talent alone and Kelly might have achieved more with more focus, but Shawn was no monk either and he didnt do half bad.