British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Kelly Moran How Good.?

Ive always thought Shawn the better of the Morans and Im always surprised how many people see it the opposite way round.

Shawns achievements clearly trump Kelly internationally and domestically. I know this debate is about pure talent alone and Kelly might have achieved more with more focus, but Shawn was no monk either and he didnt do half bad.

I think Shawn was the more serious of the two (not that that is saying a lot), although I get the impression that Kelly was the more popular nationwide. I remember very early in 1981 Shawn was given a public dressing down by Ray Glover about professionalism, or lack of it, after a meeting, but apart from that one meeting I can't really remember him giving any indication he was less than professional, at least whilst he was on the track.

Edited by Tigerblade

Ive always thought Shawn the better of the Morans and Im always surprised how many people see it the opposite way round.

Shawn was a much more consistent gater, although - obviously - he was also brilliant from the back. His first race against Per Jonsson in the 1990 World Final was a classic.

Most interesting comments -on youtube there are a number of entries regarding Kelly and his illnesses-was impressed as to Bruce Penhall's compassionate meetings with Kelly and how he organised his memorials-whatever anyone thinks about Bruce as a rider I think he was a really nice and compassionate guy and deserves credit for that!!

• Like 4

Most interesting comments -on youtube there are a number of entries regarding Kelly and his illnesses-was impressed as to Bruce Penhall's compassionate meetings with Kelly and how he organised his memorials-whatever anyone thinks about Bruce as a rider I think he was a really nice and compassionate guy and deserves credit for that!!

Totally agree Bruce who has had his fair share of tragedy in his life showed us a side not all of us knew about.Ok he handled his departure from speedway poorly but even after speedway i have enjoyed him as a commentator and to be honest he is a modest and humble guy and what a rider he was.But Bruce, Siggy,Ron,Bobby ect) showed us on those videos how much Kelly meant to them and that is what friendship is all about through thick and thin really moving at times.
  • Like 1