British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

What Is There To Stop....

Me placing a HUGE bet on Peterborough to lose a meeting, and then paying Ged Rathbone £28,000 to not let his top rider ride? I make my millions from the bookies, Ged makes his £27,000 (£28,000 minus a £1000 ACU fine) and the other team get a win. We all go home happy (apart from the bookie and nobody likes them)

Surely this taking a bung to weaken teams opens up the floodgates to all sorts of betting scandals, potentially.

Edited by SCB

I think the issue here is that no bookie will take a HUGE bet on the speedway?

Dont you sometimes have issues betting more than a few quid?

• Like 1

I think the issue here is that no bookie will take a HUGE bet on the speedway?

Dont you sometimes have issues betting more than a few quid?

I can't bet much with most bookies but there are a few that still let me bet large amounts on TV meetings.

If "Joe Bloggs" sign up with the 8 or so bookies that offer betting on speedway and can get 2/1 on the away team winning at Peterborough with all them bookies then it's very much worth doing. TBH, I don't know why Ged doesn't just cut out the middle man and do it himself.

Slight problem with that. On one of the occasions they let a rider miss a meeting they still won it. So you would have lost a fortune.

• Like 1

I bet £25 on bomber to be world champ at 150-1 a few years ago and they had to verify half the bet , I guess they think either Im nuts or some dodgy betting going on but they are not stupid , you place a big bet on anything and they are all over it

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Slight problem with that. On one of the occasions they let a rider miss a meeting they still won it. So you would have lost a fortune.

The point is that you can fiddle the results of meetings and in a sport that allows gambling, that is actually against the law. Remember the Sutton United goal keeper who got sacked for eating a pie on TV?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/14/former-sutton-united-goalkeeper-wayne-shaw-charged-fa-pie-gate/

OK no bet is ever a certainty but you can certain swing things hugely in your favour.

I bet £25 on bomber to be world champ at 150-1 a few years ago and they had to verify half the bet , I guess they think either Im nuts or some dodgy betting going on but they are not stupid , you place a big bet on anything and they are all over it

Yet I won just short of 11 grand on the Torun GP in 2016. So it can be done!

The point is that you can fiddle the results of meetings and in a sport that allows gambling, that is actually against the law. Remember the Sutton United goal keeper who got sacked for eating a pie on TV?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/14/former-sutton-united-goalkeeper-wayne-shaw-charged-fa-pie-gate/

OK no bet is ever a certainty but you can certain swing things hugely in your favour.

Yet I won just short of 11 grand on the Torun GP in 2016. So it can be done!

i have also won a fair amount when smolinski won a GP but you will be watched if you keep putting big amounts on

Agreed. They weren't stupid and you were nuts. 😀😄 Edited by woofers

i have also won a fair amount when smolinski won a GP but you will be watched if you keep putting big amounts on

I know. Heavily limited by a few bookies now after getting 300/1 on Coventry in 2010 and the Torun win I mentioned. Plus I won about 5 grand on one of the earlier GPs last season so that got me limited with another bookie. Not many left now and those that are left on tend to offer odds on televised stuff.

But none of that changes the fact that the ACU appear to have said it's OK to offer someone money not to put out their best team. That changes the results of meetings and league tables. That can effect betting. What if, had Peterborough had their full teams out at Scunthorpe and Newcastle they had won the meetings and got 8 league points? They might have mad the play-offs. That means they might have won the league. So in taking a bung to let a rider go elsewhere they have effect the league result which has effected betting. There ARE laws against that and its why the FA had to clamp down on the Sutton goalie for simply eating a pie.

In football you get sacked and fined for eating a pie as it effects gambling. In speedway you as good as throw meeting and thus the league and you get a slap on the wrist.

I had a £250 bet on Poole winning the league a few years ago at 100/1. Then the bspa changed the rules from 6 in the playoffs to 4.

My bet was refunded by Ladbrokes as the rules had changed but if it had come off I would have been £25,250 better off.

I thought Peterborough won the Fours.

Ah thats ok then. The other 2 meetings where riders were missing didn't happen.

Peterborough took a bung and weakened their team. They then lost both meetings. Meetings that were winnable. This is illegal as it effects betting. But it's speedway, it does it's own thing.

Me placing a HUGE bet on Peterborough to lose a meeting, and then paying Ged Rathbone £28,000 to not let his top rider ride? I make my millions from the bookies, Ged makes his £27,000 (£28,000 minus a £1000 ACU fine) and the other team get a win. We all go home happy (apart from the bookie and nobody likes them)

Surely this taking a bung to weaken teams opens up the floodgates to all sorts of betting scandals, potentially.

That would have to be huge as well.How much would it take to be able to pay Ged 28k and take your millions.Still a risk unless at least 2 riders are in on the deal ?

Edited by Bald Bloke

I'd have thought most bookmakers would be very interested to hear of result 'adjustment' to manipulate averages or in international meetings to help riders sharing the same sponsor, or taking a bung to put out a weakened team, irrespective of the result, or riders failing to turn up for events that are being bet on because they don't like the money, have 'man flu' or have found a more lucrative meeting elsewhere or fancy a day off..

Very interested.....

• Like 1

I left Ladbrokes before league Speedway was televised and in the late 90's there wouldn't have been a market for Speedway betting. However, I would have thought the reporting limits for Speedway bets would be very low. Any out of the norm betting would be quickly spotted.

Surely the perfect opportunity for a fixed event would have been the end of season play off between Sheffield and Leicester?

I was at Belle Vue a few years back when the on course betting was operational. A bunch of office lads out for a party night were betting on the races. One was just betting on yellow and was annoyed at how little he was winning. I explained about home advantage, how there was a match going on (they weren't aware) and how the rider in yellow was usually the weaker rider from the away side so was least likely to win.

I left realising what damage the sport did to itself by opening itself to the bookies in the hunt for unattainable Sky Bet riches.