British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

What Is There To Stop....

Me placing a HUGE bet on Peterborough to lose a meeting, and then paying Ged Rathbone £28,000 to not let his top rider ride? I make my millions from the bookies, Ged makes his £27,000 (£28,000 minus a £1000 ACU fine) and the other team get a win. We all go home happy (apart from the bookie and nobody likes them)

Surely this taking a bung to weaken teams opens up the floodgates to all sorts of betting scandals, potentially.

Only snag to this is Bookmakers do not offer odds on Championship matches Another rather big snag is bookmakers do not price up matches before they know what the teams are especially after they got badly bitten from the Ipswich v Reading a few years back

I think in 1998 a bookmakers from Peterborough called S and D advertised speedway handicaps for the next week in the Speedway Star . They only did it for one season . They could not work out how well people were so well informed. You did not even have to pay them as they gave you a credit account. They must have lost a hellava'

lot of money

• Like 1

Of course very different to a bet but I recall Dave Lanning placing an insurance or some such thing on Reading winning the 1980 League Championship which accumulated winnings of £50,000 divided amongst the riders...after Dave took the promoters to court as they attempted to with hold his share and won!

I had a £250 bet on Poole winning the league a few years ago at 100/1. Then the bspa changed the rules from 6 in the playoffs to 4.

My bet was refunded by Ladbrokes as the rules had changed but if it had come off I would have been £25,250 better off.

At those odds clearly the bookie had no knowledge of Speedway!

getting large chunks on is hard but it is still perfectly possible...you just have to use your head, there's a few of us in a syndicate that bet heavily during the speedway season.

I remember when bookies first offered odds on league speedway. Every home team was 4/6 off scratch whoever they were against.

You were getting strong sides like Wolves beating the weaklings like Arena by 40 points. It really was easy money.

It didn't take long though until the compilers caught up and started doing handicaps and the like.

I just bet on gp's now.

At those odds clearly the bookie had no knowledge of Speedway!

There was a time the bookies were very naive when it come to speedway. They were offering 300/1 on Coventry to win the league in May 2010 :D