British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ipswichwitches

A Very Short Season

This season looks like being an extremely short season unless there's something I've missed. As as Ipswich fan, at home we'll have (guaranteed):

10 League Matches

2 League Cup Matches

1 KOC Match

1 'Other' Match

That's just 14 home meetings this year. So racing every week from mid March, the season could be complete by the end of June. Don't know what we'll do for the other 4 months of the season. 2017 was a guarantee of 19 home meetings.

So, why no 2 Home & 2 Away this year? Can't be because we've got one extra side in the league this year. Perhaps all fixtures will be every other week for all clubs to make the season last.

• Like 1

You could add a 2nd set of fixtures meaning a guarantee if 24

But what then when you have a semi and final for LC KOC and playoffs

That could be 6 more and just would not fit - and thats without any rain offs or gaps for any other reasons

This season looks like being an extremely short season unless there's something I've missed. As as Ipswich fan, at home we'll have (guaranteed):

10 League Matches

2 League Cup Matches

1 KOC Match

1 'Other' Match

That's just 14 home meetings this year. So racing every week from mid March, the season could be complete by the end of June. Don't know what we'll do for the other 4 months of the season. 2017 was a guarantee of 19 home meetings.

So, why no 2 Home & 2 Away this year? Can't be because we've got one extra side in the league this year. Perhaps all fixtures will be every other week for all clubs to make the season last.

Glad to see the penny is beginning to drop in the SGBC.

You could add a 2nd set of fixtures meaning a guarantee if 24

But what then when you have a semi and final for LC KOC and playoffs

That could be 6 more and just would not fit - and thats without any rain offs or gaps for any other reasons

With 2H & 2A you wouldn't need the LC, making 21 home meetings, 2 more than last season. Mid March to end October is approx. 30 weeks. Or maybe the LC should have been a bigger competition.

With so few meetings, I can't see them being every week otherwise we'll all be brushing up on our tans during summer.

With 2H & 2A you wouldn't need the LC, making 21 home meetings, 2 more than last season. Mid March to end October is approx. 30 weeks. Or maybe the LC should have been a bigger competition.

With so few meetings, I can't see them being every week otherwise we'll all be brushing up on our tans during summer.

After the rush to cram fixtures in at the end of last season , surely this must be the correct way to go and gives promoters the chance to show what they are really there by organising attractive fill in matches.

After the rush to cram fixtures in at the end of last season , surely this must be the correct way to go and gives promoters the chance to show what they are really there by organising attractive fill in matches.

No one seems bothered with fill in matches anymore, attractive or not.

Still should save me some money

Less is more.

That's what I tell my girlfriend.

youre like a jackawawa , (a small female magnet ) stay clear of the hand pump , its no good for ya !

you got a new chi ,, err doll mate ?

given the reported weekly losses per track it is a financial masterstroke

• Like 2

This presents the opportunity to not race when it is still cold at the end of March, the reluctance to organise meetings due to the Pairs, GP & Fours(no World Team Cup this year but a new Nation Cup to be sorted) & no cramming in of meetings due to positions for play offs.

We moan when there are too many & now, when there are, possibly, too few!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Perhaps we should just run about half a dozen matches a yewar?

I thought you people called yourself fans of the sport. I can imagine the reaction from most team sports' supporters if you suggested cutting their seasons down to twelve weeks!

Short season that's the usual in Poland, Sweden etc and the less meetings less chance of having to freeze your crown jewels off in March and October

• Like 1

Speedway will suffer with lack of continuity with present number of fixtures,it should be a regular weekly event at each track,if not fans just seem to get out of the habit otherwise IMO.Either that or shorten the season accordingly allowing a couple of weeks for rain offs etc.April- Sept should be the season now.That allows leeway is things go wrong.

• Like 5