British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ipswichwitches

A Very Short Season

England won't be in it for long..so shouldn't be too bad

A good number of speedway/footie fans will still be watching the other best teams

• Like 1

Us Berwick supporters are used to short seasons so no change there :D:D:D

• Like 1

It will soon be a semi professional sport at Championship level,if riders can't get about 3 different leagues to ride in.

It will soon be a semi professional sport at Championship level,if riders can't get about 3 different leagues to ride in.

in truth, it should be semi professional at that level anyway.

Part of the problem the sport has is that too many riders believe that it is a full time occupation when it isn't and, indeed, for most never has been.

Mick Bell was at reserve when Coventry won the British League in 1978 & 79. He commented later that speedway, for him, was little more than a 'good paying hobby'.

Yep, last season the Witches had 23 home meetings, next year we could well only have 14.

It could be that the reduction in meetings is due to the fact that most tracks lose money. More meetings, more losses.

In truth, I am not certain that this is such a bad thing. Tracks could open up in early April, run the League Cup campaign and the first round of the KO Cup fortnightly and then go weekly from mid May until then end of August - about 15 weeks to get in 10 or so fixtures. That means that the season will be run in the height of the summer, when its warmer for fans and there's less chance of rain. Play offs & the KO Cup Final can be completed in early September. The blank weeks allow time for rain offs, absences and tracks running on the same night.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

The smaller number of league fixtures should ensure that clubs run them in summer and theres isnt the traditional cramming of fixtures, which can y be a good thing. However the NL has recently had the same number of fixtures that the Championship has had this coming year and certain clubs repeatedly still have to cram their meetings in the cold Sept/Oct nights. This move will help, but teams still have to be sensible and accommodating when arranging fixtures.

The smaller number of league fixtures should ensure that clubs run them in summer and theres isnt the traditional cramming of fixtures, which can y be a good thing. However the NL has recently had the same number of fixtures that the Championship has had this coming year and certain clubs repeatedly still have to cram their meetings in the cold Sept/Oct nights. This move will help, but teams still have to be sensible and accommodating when arranging fixtures.

Think the BSPA need to clamp down on clubs failing to rearrange fixtures in a certain time frame.
  • Like 3

Think the BSPA need to clamp down on clubs failing to rearrange fixtures in a certain time frame.

They need to clamp down on meeting being postponed for anything but an act of god TBH. And even then if it raining at start time, you can't be allowed to call a meeting off once it started.

Il defend riders most times but the Scunthorpe Workington meeting last year was a shambles with the riders attitude except a couple namely Josh Auty and James Sargeant. What gets me is that the riders tend to say they can't ride because of visibility but I watched a couple of moto gps last season when it bucketed down but they get on with it going at treble the speed at least

One point I would like to make. Surely with less fixtures, and no championship/premiership doubling up issues, should be possible to issue fixtures a lot earlier. Not convinced it will happen though.

They need to clamp down on meeting being postponed for anything but an act of god TBH. And even then if it raining at start time, you can't be allowed to call a meeting off once it started.

I can't agree. Its occasionally the case that there is a hope that the rain will stop and it just gets worse instead.

I think there has to be a realisation as to just how much a rain off with all the spectators in the stadium will cost a promoter, because its thousands even at most NL clubs.

For that reason, it is rare that a meeting is called off in those circumstances unnecessarily.

I can't agree. Its occasionally the case that there is a hope that the rain will stop and it just gets worse instead.

I think there has to be a realisation as to just how much a rain off with all the spectators in the stadium will cost a promoter, because its thousands even at most NL clubs.

For that reason, it is rare that a meeting is called off in those circumstances unnecessarily.

Ive been to too many meetings (more fool me) where it has been drizzling all afternoon, the meeting has started in drizzle and then low and behold you get to heat 8/10/12 (whatever is needed for no money back) and we're told, "Tracks to wet to carry on", well the rain had got no worse and was only doing what was forcast. By doing that, all they do is make people like me refuse to go now if the weather even looks slightly dodgy. They're killing the support by ripping them off.

I remember in times gone by watching racing in the actual rain, not just a wet track. But racing, in the rain!

Ive been to too many meetings (more fool me) where it has been drizzling all afternoon, the meeting has started in drizzle and then low and behold you get to heat 8/10/12 (whatever is needed for no money back) and we're told, "Tracks to wet to carry on", well the rain had got no worse and was only doing what was forcast. By doing that, all they do is make people like me refuse to go now if the weather even looks slightly dodgy. They're killing the support by ripping them off.

I remember in times gone by watching racing in the actual rain, not just a wet track. But racing, in the rain!

Just thinking of the Tomicek this year, raining when we got into stadium, it progressively got worse, yet they still run the meeting till heat 16 at Marketa. They did the same in the 250 world championship only abandoned the final, it was lashing it down. What is it about UK speedway,m 'ITS SPITTING ABANDON THE MEETING'