British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Best Ever Norwegian Rider?

Think his record talks for itself.4 times Norwegian champ,Nordic champ I think twice and even Polish champ twice,plus as I said a couple of GP wins.Ok you might say he changed nationality,but how do you judge Kylmäkorpi?He was Swedish U21 champ and world longtrack champ a number of time,but never Finnish champ as far as I know.Which shows up the trouble of saying rider x was the best Norwegian because he won the most national titles etc..Kylmäkorpi was far better than Timo Lahti of Kauko Nieminen,but they have senior national titles to their name

Joonas Kylmakorpi rarely rode in the Finnish Championship. I think his best placing may have been third - no doubt FSP could correct me on that.

Perhaps it is worthy of a separate thread on best Finnish rider seen?

Rune Holta is the top man in my supporting time (from 1968 onwards). His move to represent Poland internationally enables him to add a couple of World Team Cup medals to his CV not to mention a fourth in the world spot.

As far as I recall his Polish citizenship was encouraged by his Polish club, but he also felt it allowed him to ride in the WTC and keep his profile high. Still riding at a high level as well.

Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times whilst in Prague for a GP and he was an absolute gentleman.

• Like 1

I know Cook isn't as good as PC, but that's a little disrespectful isn't it? :lol:

Ruddy auto-correct! So sorry...

Steve

Joonas Kylmakorpi rarely rode in the Finnish Championship. I think his best placing may have been third - no doubt FSP could correct me on that.

Perhaps it is worthy of a separate thread on best Finnish rider seen?

...Kai Niemi.

Rune Holta is the top man in my supporting time (from 1968 onwards). His move to represent Poland internationally enables him to add a couple of World Team Cup medals to his CV not to mention a fourth in the world spot.

As far as I recall his Polish citizenship was encouraged by his Polish club, but he also felt it allowed him to ride in the WTC and keep his profile high. Still riding at a high level as well.

Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times whilst in Prague for a GP and he was an absolute gentleman.

Talked to him once in Vojens and came to the same conclusion.Very nice guy

• Like 1

Bobbath, there is nothing on Wikipedia re Sverre Harrfeldt,, that doesn’t seem right. Why don’t you start something off, you must know more then a bit about him.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, I am a technopeasant and don't know how to start something on Wikipedia, you can see dstuff about Sverre on John Skinner's excellent website A to Z of Defunct Speedway Sites and also any of the websites dealing with West Ham speedway. THink his best years were mid sixties-finished second in World Final on 14 points behind Briggo-had a terrible accident in 1969 I think and was never the same after that.

• Like 1

Talked to him once in Vojens and came to the same conclusion.Very nice guy

Holta is a good guy. No sign of arrogance and has the time for you, unless you self are a dick. :lol:

Edited by f-s-p

Bobbath, there is nothing on Wikipedia re Sverre Harrfeldt,, that doesn’t seem right. Why don’t you start something off, you must know more then a bit about him.

Actually, there is, but only on the Polish Wikipedia site! It's not much, I know, and of course, it is in Polish, but Google translate will at least make it understandable. It is sad that there isn't much info available online about him.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverre_Harrfeldt

My dad became good friends with Sverre when he came to Plough Lane, and used to help him out quite a bit. When he had to return to Norway for a few days, my dad would ferry him back and forth to the airport, and would use Sverre's car in the meantime!

As has been said, he was never the same after his crash (in the 1968 European Final) at Wroclaw. He struggled on his return to England in 1970, although he was just starting to find his feet when he broke his arm against Wimbledon (I was at Custom House that night). However, while not the Sverre of old, he managed to get his average back up to nearly 8 when riding for Wembley the following year.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Actually, there is, but only on the Polish Wikipedia site! It's not much, I know, and of course, it is in Polish, but Google translate will at least make it understandable. It is sad that there isn't much info available online about him.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverre_Harrfeldt

My dad became good friends with Sverre when he came to Plough Lane, and used to help him out quite a bit. When he had to return to Norway for a few days, my dad would ferry him back and forth to the airport, and would use Sverre's car in the meantime!

As has been said, he was never the same after his crash (in the 1968 European Final) at Wroclaw. He struggled on his return to England in 1970, although he was just starting to find his feet when he broke his arm against Wimbledon (I was at Custom House that night). However, while not the Sverre of old, he managed to get his average back up to nearly 8 when riding for Wembley the following year.

Steve

There was talk that he considered joining 'The Rebels' in 1972 but personally I felt it was a Dave Lanning inspired story!

Sverre Harrfeldt was a very good rider, had he won a world championship I am sure he would have stepped up a gear to become a great.

I never saw harrfeldt ride prior to his big crash in 1968. He struggled at West ham in 1970, but was decent for Wembley in 71.

A rider with a great style was Einar Kyllingstad. Never really excelled in Britain but I was at Swindon the afternoon he rode to an immaculate 15 point maximum!

​Aage Hansen won five Norwegian speedway championships between 1958 and 1961. Offhand, I seem to recall he was also a consistent performer in the UK for Oxford and Ipswich.

Edited by Guest