British Speedway Forum
teaboy279

Nl Agm 14th December.

So the date has been set, what are people's hopes?

Personally I d like to see 12 teams

Points limit to increase.

And the NT to be either completed before the league action, or after the league has concluded.

What also like to see the KO Cup fixtures all to be held on the same week, so the competition does not get drawn out.

• Like 3

Guest GiveusaB

I'd like to see the NL given the same consideration and respect that the Championship/Premiership get....same points limit....same match rules etc etc......

The riders/racing may not be as fast/skilled as the 'big' boys, but they're still taking the same risks, without the financial parity!

I would like to see a change in the rules that if a NL rider signs mid-season for a club in a higher league, the NL team gets priory over the rider in fixture clashes.

Do away with playoffs.

And a 30 second back to tapes warning put on in the event of a unsatisfactory start, unless someone has gone down and needs to sort bike out.

• Like 2

Well those last three posts have saved me a lot of typing , all good points and hope they listen to the fans, as unlikely as that seems. ....

Id like a points limit of 40.0 with 12 teams. Hold the first round on the NLKOC in the first week of May so its started early and doesnt end up with fixtures crammed late on. Also get rid of the NT. With 12 teams I dont think extra fixtures are needed, however bring back the Pairs & Fours so theres still more trophies to race for.

10 team league, Belle Vue, Birmingham, Buxton, Cradley, Eastbourne, Isle of Wight, Kent, Mildenhall, Plymouth, Stoke.

Scrap one of the cup competitions on the basis of teams being unable to fulfill league fixtures by the cutoff date, the league must take priority. If the NT stays then two groups of 5 with 4 fixtures, top 2 qualify from each group into a two-legged semi-final. If KOC, first round bye to the top 6 remaining league teams from last season, other 4 compete in a prelim round which gets to 8 teams for the first round.

All league fixtures to be completed by the end of August, speedway in October should be avoided. Each team will have a maximum of 13 home fixtures in keeping the NT as above, 12/13 for the KOC format. More than enough weeks, when they prove they can fit all those fixtures into a league season without double headers, running league fixtures once the playoffs have started and/or late into October, we can go back to two competitions. Either way agree about the "cup window", get it all out of the way in one go.

There must be robust rules in place to prevent anymore Roynon/Hurry/Hall scenarios happening. I'm not sure of what the split is on that between calculating an average and the decision process to apply it, but something has to be done.

This rule about a rider being able to miss a meeting for any reason must be scrapped, if you want to be treated seriously as a league you have to expect your riders to show up all the time. The only exception I would probably make is for 15/16 year olds sitting exams.

Similarly, do away with this ability to just use guest 3 pointers when you find out the one you picked in January isn't very good, either show some faith (it's a development league after all), or do a bit more in depth scouting. If you want to use another 3 pointer then you should have to sign them permanently. That would also prevent the scenarios we get near the end of the season with the likes of JPB, Smith, Brennan, and last year Kemp and Edwards, where they get a bit of testing before the next season whilst keeping a 3 point average, which seems wholly unfair to me when in most of those situations they've already got a team lined up.

No tactical substitutes.

I want the league to be competitive so am edging towards a 40 point limit, but, if there was a reduction to 10 teams then that may freeze a few too many riders out, so not entirely opposed to 42. I would like to see a cap on the number of "overage" riders per team (max of 1 over 30, max of 1 between 25-30), which may lend itself to a 40 point limit.

Think that's it, don't expect the cup one to be popular, but think the rest is reasonable. Expect very little of it to come to fruition.

Edited by CUFC_Brummie
  • Like 1

10 team league, Belle Vue, Birmingham, Buxton, Cradley, Eastbourne, Isle of Wight, Kent, Mildenhall, Plymouth, Stoke.

Scrap one of the cup competitions on the basis of teams being unable to fulfill league fixtures by the cutoff date, the league must take priority. If the NT stays then two groups of 5 with 4 fixtures, top 2 qualify from each group into a two-legged semi-final. If KOC, first round bye to the top 6 remaining league teams from last season, other 4 compete in a prelim round which gets to 8 teams for the first round.

All league fixtures to be completed by the end of August, speedway in October should be avoided. Each team will have a maximum of 13 home fixtures in keeping the NT as above, 12/13 for the KOC format. More than enough weeks, when they prove they can fit all those fixtures into a league season without double headers, running league fixtures once the playoffs have started and/or late into October, we can go back to two competitions. Either way agree about the "cup window", get it all out of the way in one go.

There must be robust rules in place to prevent anymore Roynon/Hurry/Hall scenarios happening. I'm not sure of what the split is on that between calculating an average and the decision process to apply it, but something has to be done.

This rule about a rider being able to miss a meeting for any reason must be scrapped, if you want to be treated seriously as a league you have to expect your riders to show up all the time. The only exception I would probably make is for 15/16 year olds sitting exams.

Similarly, do away with this ability to just use guest 3 pointers when you find out the one you picked in January isn't very good, either show some faith (it's a development league after all), or do a bit more in depth scouting. If you want to use another 3 pointer then you should have to sign them permanently. That would also prevent the scenarios we get near the end of the season with the likes of JPB, Smith, Brennan, and last year Kemp and Edwards, where they get a bit of testing before the next season whilst keeping a 3 point average, which seems wholly unfair to me when in most of those situations they've already got a team lined up.

No tactical substitutes.

I want the league to be competitive so am edging towards a 40 point limit, but, if there was a reduction to 10 teams then that may freeze a few too many riders out, so not entirely opposed to 42. I would like to see a cap on the number of "overage" riders per team (max of 1 over 30, max of 1 between 25-30), which may lend itself to a 40 point limit.

Think that's it, don't expect the cup one to be popular, but think the rest is reasonable. Expect very little of it to come to fruition.

A perfectly sensible and well reasoned post - however, as the last sentence indicates this is speedway, so expect little of it to come to fruition.

Nice to see that the majority are all on the same page (except the ageist idea, riders can compete whatever age if they are good enough).

Sounds like Kings Lynn's participation is unlikely but im hoping for 11 teams with Coventreicester included.

Fixed weeks for KOC are definitely a good idea & if you wish to run the Nat Trophy move it until after all league fixtures have been completed.

Once the cut off date has been reached no more meaningless league matches full of guests & average manipulation as they are insulting to fans.

Limit the number/length of time RR can be used per team per season.

Guest GiveusaB

Nice to see that the majority are all on the same page (except the ageist idea, riders can compete whatever age if they are good enough).

Sounds like Kings Lynn's participation is unlikely but im hoping for 11 teams with Coventreicester included.

Fixed weeks for KOC are definitely a good idea & if you wish to run the Nat Trophy move it until after all league fixtures have been completed.

Once the cut off date has been reached no more meaningless league matches full of guests & average manipulation as they are insulting to fans.

Limit the number/length of time RR can be used per team per season.

Great point about R/R !

How about something really radical?

How about an expectation that by the end of June, a certain number of fixtures have been run, and that by the end of July another number of fixtures have been run, with a penalty of 2 points per fixture not completed in those times?

That'll make some promoters (Stoke, anybody?) sit up and pay attention to track preparation, and fixture organisation, rather than taking the easy option of chucking a postponed fixture in the TBA pile to be sorted out some time before the start of November. It may also give hope to fans that they don't need to go 3 or 4 weeks between meetings and for them to get into a rhythm of attending meetings, which may help keep some fans interested?

• Like 1

I would like to see the National Trophy run at the end of the season. Once all the league matches have finished the top four go into the play offs and the other teams contest the National Trophy. It would mean that tracks would not close early due to lack of success and teams could go for a trophy even though the main part of the season had not gone well.

ALL League matches to be raced by an agreed date which would mean that no league matches would be held after the cut off for the play offs.

• Like 1

No tactical substitutes.

The unattached reserve situation is a good point and a real issue! It was ridiculous watching Kemp, Edwards, Halder etc riding for nearly every team in the league at the end of this season. Eastbourne seemed to get through every number 6 but didnt even track their own!

• Like 1

I doubt whether it is feasible to have more teams AND a higher points limit. It would have to be one or the other - the greater the number of teams in the league, the lower the point limit would have to be.

Apart from this, I think the wishes are pretty universal. Personally, I would like to see all clubs compelled to name nine riders with the numbers 6-9 being inter-changeable at a team manager's discretion, with at least one second half race following the main match to be comprised of these 4 riders. This would provide real competition for the last two team places and would also give a rider who has lost his place in the team,a fair chance of winning it back.

• Like 1

Agreed it would be good if teams showed an interest in developing riders for future seasons. I like the 8&9 idea. Teams have to use one of these riders if a reserve is missing (possibly even extend it to when RR is being used). This would mean teams would need to show an interest in fringe riders sooner rather than later and help develop them in case they are called upon. Although i can't see that many being keen to turn up and take part i a single match race at the end of the night.

I would like to see the points limit the same for all three leagues (42.5) However because the number of clubs in the National League seems to be a different number each season, I would like a points limit to be set at a level which will allow teams to build for the future, perhaps being set for a two year period, to allow clubs to encourage more youngsters, to maybe have a squad system for the reserves, to stop clubs running and using an-attached riders all season, make the using of any regular unattached riders only for a maximum of 3 meetings. I hope to see the points limit raised to 41.

Let's stop the use of R/R for reasons other than injury or if a rider has educational commitments, certainly for a given maximum time, we can't have a system where Eastbourne 2016 (Gary Cottham) Belle Vue 2017 (Lee Payne) use it as for most of the season, there is no excuse to not sign a replacement for a long term injury. I agree with others, League fixtures must be completed by whatever cut off date is agreed upon, and KOC fixtures to be completed by a set date for each round.