British Speedway Forum
teaboy279

Nl Agm 14th December.

Yeah forget earning anything, even at 30/40 quid a point you aren't going to even break even (without sponsorship) if you look after your machinery properly.

absolute rubbish
  • Like 1

absolute rubbish

Not rubbish at all... A 15 pt max on £40 a point would only give you £600 a meeting. Take running costs out of that you wont be left with much. Obviously no riders will get 15pt max's every meeting. So what teaboy is saying is correct..

Not rubbish at all... A 15 pt max on £40 a point would only give you £600 a meeting. Take running costs out of that you wont be left with much. Obviously no riders will get 15pt max's every meeting. So what teaboy is saying is correct..

Perhaps you should talk to a former rider ;-)

Oh.....

• Like 1

Yeah forget earning anything, even at 30/40 quid a point you aren't going to even break even (without sponsorship) if you look after your machinery properly.

The point is that the NL is not meant to be a job. It was set up to provide a competitive environment for riders to learn and improve in the sport and go on to Championship and Premiership racing where they should then be earning money. All Motorsport is expensive and at this level most pay to compete in it with the exception of speedway.

• Like 8

The point is that the NL is not meant to be a job. It was set up to provide a competitive environment for riders to learn and improve in the sport and go on to Championship and Premiership racing where they should then be earning money. All Motorsport is expensive and at this level most pay to compete in it with the exception of speedway.

Speedway needs to get back at all levels in UK to a position where riders do not regard it as a job.

The attendances do not warrant it.

• Like 3

I dont like to name drop but This is a quote from someone well respected in speedway and has had some input in training young riders , when you hear some of the deals these national league riders ask for it really makes my blood boil , half of them struggle to string 4 decent laps together, they should be greatful there is a league for them to ride in . I totally agree with him

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

I dont like to name drop but This is a quote from someone well respected in speedway and has had some input in training young riders , when you hear some of the deals these national league riders ask for it really makes my blood boil , half of them struggle to string 4 decent laps together, they should be greatful there is a league for them to ride in . I totally agree with him

HAHAHA you dont come across bitter at all..

i dont care how I come across , all I care about is the future of our sport and at the moment we are driving it in to the ground and quite frankly some the national league riders are the worst for adding to it , until we get real about the problem there is no recovery to the problem , I dont like to name drop because some people dont make their feelings known but if you are a Birmingham supporter you should look closer to home for people who share my views Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

i dont care how I come across , all I care about is the future of our sport and at the moment we are driving it in to the ground and quite frankly some the national league riders are the worst for adding to it , until we get real about the problem there is no recovery to the problem , I dont like to name drop because some people dont make their feelings known but if you are a Birmingham supporter you should look closer to home for people who share my views

Haha i dont like to name drop but i know there are people at Birmingham that think you talk through your hat

Edited by redandyellow

Haha i dont like to name drop but i know there are people at Birmingham that think you talk through your hat

but I dont hide behind it

No because your in the know arent you

am I ,What am I in the know of ? Not sure what that to do with hiding who I am behind my hat Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Does anyone know if David Mason as had his interview to become a Promoter yet, If not who will represent Birmingham at the AGM,or will they not be represented,

Not bitter at all, just realistic.

Speedway (with the exception of the top boys) is not and never has been a full time occupation even during the season. One of speedway's most intractable yet vitally important questions is how to make some see that.

Attendances and income at NL dictate that it must largely self funded, although Dean has said in the past that even at that level you can at least breakeven if you do everything yourself.

No because your in the know arent you

He's a former speedway rider who competed at NL level for many years. That means he knows about the income and expenditure.

For that reason alone, he's worth listening to.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

Not bitter at all, just realistic.

Speedway (with the exception of the top boys) is not and never has been a full time occupation even during the season. One of speedway's most intractable yet vitally important questions is how to make some see that.

Attendances and income at NL dictate that it must largely self funded, although Dean has said in the past that even at that level you can at least breakeven if you do everything yourself.

He's a former speedway rider who competed at NL level for many years. That means he knows about the income and expenditure.

For that reason alone, he's worth listening to.

I've worked in other branches of lower level motor sport and they found it laughable that speedway riders expected to make a living from it. A former speedway promoter who had switched top stock cars only invited me into his office after a meeting which had attracted a crowd that would have been the envy of any speedway promoter.

There was a queue of drivers, many of whom had spent several thousand pounds on their cars (we're not talking bangers here). Each in turn took a few pounds off the promoter. Occasionally one would get a few pounds more if they had won a race.

At the end the promoter showed me the money left over and said "THAT'S why I gave up speedway".

Only at the top levels of motorsport where there are very lucrative TV and sponsorship deals do racers make a living and then it usually comes from a sponsor.

Over the past near half century I have witnessed a sport whose competitors seem to increasingly want a Formula 1 lifestyle without realising that the money's just not there. If they want the champagne lifestyle or just to draw a full-time wage they need to be in a sport that attracts more than a few hundred people, has not blown its TV deals and whose sponsorship is not generally based on charity from those who love it.

Expectations must change.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 5