British Speedway Forum
teaboy279

Nl Agm 14th December.

I know there's no real answer to a dying sport in a dodgy economic climate, but if it did go that way, there will only be a few tracks left open throughout the country, the few riders left who fancy an adrenaline rush will be paying for an afternoon riding, and no paying public at all.

Just have a horrible feeling that's the way it will go.

I assume Steve Rees, who is a very pro active promoter, and reaps the rewards of some very big meetings.

10 team league, Belle Vue, Birmingham, Buxton, Cradley, Eastbourne, Isle of Wight, Kent, Mildenhall, Plymouth, Stoke.

I like the sound of that league because it doesn't include Coventry riding at Leicester. I might be alone in thinking this but I'd much rather keep the happy memories I have of the Bees, especially in the Sandhu years and prior to that with Charles Ochiltree, than see a disasterous outcome in the National League at Beaumont Park.

Edited by Gemini

I like the sound of that league because it doesn't include Coventry riding at Leicester. I might be alone in thinking this but I'd much rather keep the happy memories I have of the Bees, especially in the Sandhu years and prior to that with Charles Ochiltree, than see a disasterous outcome in the National League at Beaumont Park.

That's about it.

Blot out the last five seasons and remember the bees for the great club it was, whilst keeping fingers crossed for something better to come from the Save coventry Group.

Yeah forget earning anything, even at 30/40 quid a point you aren't going to even break even (without sponsorship) if you look after your machinery properly.

Why should NL riders make money? None of my hobbies make me money. Very few people have hobbies that make money. Why do speedway riders at amateur level think they should make money? Look at the cost of a car to go autograss racing and then look at the money that is made doing autograss racing and then tell me that NL riders are being hard done by if they're made to ride for £20 a point!

I assume Steve Rees, who is a very pro active promoter, and reaps the rewards of some very big meetings.

If you're referring to my posting no. This was down in the west country and a man who had promoted domestic speedway at the very highest level.

Edited by Rob McCaffery

......SCB..............Why should NL riders make money? None of my hobbies make me money. Very few people have hobbies that make money.

Of course they should make money. All Speedway riders should because they ride for our entertainment you know so deserve to be well paid. ;)

If you're referring to my posting no. This was down in the west country and a man who had promoted domestic speedway at the very highest level.

The great TR I presume

Of course they should make money. All Speedway riders should because they ride for our entertainment you know so deserve to be well paid. ;)

As I often say, theres a few who should retire then as they're not very entertaining. Who do I send the list to so they give up? ;)

When I started watching  Speedway only the top riders were " professionals"

The rest had jobs and took days off  their holidays to go to away matches !!!!

There is room in the Sport for both

• Like 2

Cricket clubs below county level have a single professional - perhaps this is the way forward, especially when old hands drop down

Have not posted for a while as my computer went on the blink.  The points limit for every level should be the mean average

of points available which is 42.5.  If the level is set below this, any team wishing to improve during the season is unable to

do so because, as soon as racing begins, the number of points available averages out at 42.5....so, if the limit is, say 39, a team

re-declaring their team for improvement can only hit 39 while all the others are running at 42.5.  The number of teams in the

league does not affect this truth.    In the past, the use of low limits has been used as a means of saving money, but it doesn't

work.  All that happens is that riders with lower ability get more points than they should and then demand higher pay.                                                                                                                                         In the National League, it is most likely that nearly all riders are semi-professional and hold down outside jobs.  Since they have to be committed to travelling all over the country and risking their lives to entertain us, I cannot believe that there are some who post on this forum who consider that they should go unpaid !

• Like 3

Totally agree speedway riders should be paid.  Only the top ones make a living out of it but it helps with expenses.

• Like 1

The three league system should be aspirational...

One rider riding at No1 in two seperate levels is ludicrous...

NL should be for development for riders who are dreaming of becoming a  Speedway rider and old hands wanting to keep having fun on a bike a couple of times a week. Payment? Expenses only covering maybe travel, and machine fuel...

Championship should be semi pro, for riders too good for NL and now dreaming of making a full time living out of the Sport, and ex top division old hands who still want to earn money out of the sport but dont want to commit full time to it anymore. Income supplemented by a full or part time job or if wanting to move up the ladder then a sponsor supports them or simply 'tough it out to deliver their dream' like so many other Sports' competitors do..

Premiership should be for full time, international level riders (or max a rung or two below that level). Riders who truly are 'Professional Speedway Riders' travelling the globe for their money. 

Put five man teams in at Prem and Champ level like Denmark and six man teams at NL level..

Salary cap of £7000 a night at Prem level depending on position in team, £1800, £1600, £1400, £1200 £1000.

£2500 a night at Champ level. £700, £600, £500, £400, £300...

£600 a night max expenses paid between six riders in the NL meaning £100 each..

Ride twice a week and a good few quid to be earned at Prem and Champ level, with less riders per team meaning competition for places and cover for injuries instead of guests..

With the next rung on the ladder meaning more money...

As it should be...

48 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The three league system should be aspirational...

One rider riding at No1 in two seperate levels is ludicrous...

NL should be for development for riders who are dreaming of becoming a  Speedway rider and old hands wanting to keep having fun on a bike a couple of times a week. Payment? Expenses only covering maybe travel, and machine fuel...

Championship should be semi pro, for riders too good for NL and now dreaming of making a full time living out of the Sport, and ex top division old hands who still want to earn money out of the sport but dont want to commit full time to it anymore. Income supplemented by a full or part time job or if wanting to move up the ladder then a sponsor supports them or simply 'tough it out to deliver their dream' like so many other Sports' competitors do..

Premiership should be for full time, international level riders (or max a rung or two below that level). Riders who truly are 'Professional Speedway Riders' travelling the globe for their money. 

Put five man teams in at Prem and Champ level like Denmark and six man teams at NL level..

Salary cap of £7000 a night at Prem level depending on position in team, £1800, £1600, £1400, £1200 £1000.

£2500 a night at Champ level. £700, £600, £500, £400, £300...

£600 a night max expenses paid between six riders in the NL meaning £100 each..

Ride twice a week and a good few quid to be earned at Prem and Champ level, with less riders per team meaning competition for places and cover for injuries instead of guests..

With the next rung on the ladder meaning more money...

As it should be...

If you witnessed the pathetic effort by Kevin Doolan, when he guested for Peterborough last year, when he was on a guaranteed amount, you wouldn't want any rider getting a set amount to just turn up. Pay them per point, & make them earn their money.

• Like 1