British Speedway Forum

Halifax had their own song 'Halifax Dukes Calypso', recorded by some local band way back in the mid sixties.

Wouldn't mind betting I'm the only one who can still remember this.

I swear every stadium gets sent a cd or something with the same cack on it. We are in 2017.Time has moved on and so has the music :)

You really do have an ageism problem. Most of the 60s and 70s music I listen to would not be described as slow-paced. Of course you wouldn't know - it's far too good for the likes of shallow kids like you ;-)

This week Spotify gave me a review of the music I listened to this week. Quite a bit of 70s and 80s stuff (not so ouch 60s stuff). I listen to it myself. BUT its not going to get the kids in. The sport needs to drag itself out of a bygone era.

Tbh, the decade isnt so much the issue. Its more the fact speedway loves playing easy listening, quite, low tempo music. It should be loud, fast and exciting.

At one time, Newport used to play the same Now CD on a loop. Ffs. The music should be picked to set the tone, to get people excited, to keep people excited, to build tension.

Edited by SCB

SCB........... Its more the fact speedway loves playing easy listening, quite, low tempo music. It should be loud, fast and exciting.

I presume you've not been to Peterborough then? Love the music they play there and it's certainly not quiet, low tempo or easy listening. :lol:

• Like 1

And please (please), only play Simply The Best when the team has won something really worthwhile, like winning against the odds a tough close match v local rivals or league leaders; Against All Odds by Phil Collins is also acceptable in that situation. And / or only play We Are The Champions when the team is i.e league champions / KOC winners. The one worthy time I've heard We Are The Champions played at speedway was when Hull won the Premier League in 2004, still sends shivers down my spine....

This week Spotify gave me a review of the music I listened to this week. Quite a bit of 70s and 80s stuff (not so ouch 60s stuff). I listen to it myself. BUT its not going to get the kids in. The sport needs to drag itself out of a bygone era.

Tbh, the decade isnt so much the issue. Its more the fact speedway loves playing easy listening, quite, low tempo music. It should be loud, fast and exciting.

At one time, Newport used to play the same Now CD on a loop. Ffs. The music should be picked to set the tone, to get people excited, to keep people excited, to build tension.

I agree with this. I love old music because I'm, like, old and that. But it's not what is required at speedway. Music can be a major part of the presentation if done well.

Nothing wrong with playing old stuff, as long as it works. For example, there was a guy on Graham Norton recently (I can't for the life of me remember who it was) and when asked if his kids like his music he said that all they listen to is AC/DC "Thunderstruck" because it's in some computer game.

Finger on the pulse, see. That's what it needs.

Just sticking on The Beach Boys or Gerry and the Pacemakers isn't going to work.

• Like 1

One thing I would is for clubs to stop playing "The Final Countdown" before heat 15 at every single meeting - I don't like the song one bit, and I swear the only track which doesn't play it is Birmingham.

The quality of music, certainly at Swindon, is appalling.

Every week, every year the same tiresome songs.

I appreciate the sport is not awash with cash but surely someone can provide a different play list for each week? As SCB alludes to, music in the 60s and70s are fine but there is no place for them at a speedway track.

Another reminder that promotions just do not have their fingers on the pulse...

At Poole the Music man who works hand in glove with the centregreen presenter tries to give each home rider 'his own' recogniseable music track which is played after a win. For the presentation parade of riders, we have a version of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' theme.

On the lap of honour parade for the winners at the end of the meeting 'Celebrate Good Times' is used.

A good mix of older and newer music - somewhat reflecting the mix of fans!!

• Like 1

For some reason I think of Mud when I think of speedway music :P

Roy Wood and Wizzard also spring to mind as well as Alvin Stardust.That sort of thing

Weirdest experience was hearing brass band music being played during the track prep breaks at Scheeßel longtrack meeting!!!! :o:nono:

I also remember hearing this once at Holsted!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDseFEOwAo

Edited by iris123

One thing I would is for clubs to stop playing "The Final Countdown" before heat 15 at every single meeting.

Or the theme from Star Wars, which I do like BTW....

• Like 1