British Speedway Forum

One thing I would is for clubs to stop playing "The Final Countdown" before heat 15 at every single meeting - I don't like the song one bit, and I swear the only track which doesn't play it is Birmingham.

...remember it being played at Cowley during the Wagstaff years.

I don't think it is relevant as to whether it's old music or new music. More important is that it is relevant to the occasion, and usually more upbeat. Most modern music is not suitable in style and content to excite, so for me it has to be good stuff from all ages. if it means the 60's, 70's whatever, as long as it is upbeat and pleasant to listen so that's the main thing. Usually Ice Hockey has got this angle spot on, but a lot of their classic music is from earlier decades like Blur with Song 2 and Wipeout.

• Like 3

When I first started going to Perry Barr in the early 1950's, the pre-match parade was well worth turning up early to watch. This did not include the riders - just the track staff who were all dressed in spotless white boiler suits and maroon berets,and marched in step to their positions (Les Marshall the then promoter, would only accept ex-servicemen as track staff members).

The stirring march that was played was called "We're on Our Way" and was played by the RAF band. (It is out of production now, but I have been able to get hold of a copy to be played at my funeral!!!) At the interval, and at the end of every meeting, the track staff regrouped and marched back into the pits.

Very much different to the way the track staff shamble out to their places these days.

• Like 2

At Poole the Music man who works hand in glove with the centregreen presenter tries to give each home rider 'his own' recogniseable music track

Wolves did something similar at one time — I can recall Super Trooper (Abba) for Peter Karlsson, Wunderbar (Tenpole Tudor?) for Christian Hefenbrock and, rather spiffingly, the theme from children’s TV programme Ludwig for Lindgren minor.

"Fanfare for the Common Man" is something I remember at Poole from a number of years ago, Also "The Heat is on" was big in the late 80's

Edited by Packerman

I remember during Nigel Wagstaff's tenure at Cowley each rider had a tune/song allocated to them and was played prior to the meeting...never really caught on.

Whereas when he did it at Lynn, they are still remembered today lol

Wipe Out is one tune that is still played at Peterborough when they get a 5-1, still rankles me lol

One I always remember from my first year of speedway was "From New York to LA" by Patsy Gallant, Black is Black, Rocking A Over the World, We are the Champions... loads of great songs from that era 😊

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

Whereas when he did it at Lynn, they are still remembered today lol

Wipe Out is one tune that is still played at Peterborough when they get a 5-1, still rankles me lol

...remember that being played at both Oxford and Cradley when Laurence Rogers was the announcer...got on my nerves too!

Recall with fondness when the riders approached the tapes at White City and Ipswich 'William Tell' being played when John Earrey was the presenter at both.

Knock Three Times on the ceiling if you want me..................................................

Happy days.

When I first started going to Perry Barr in the early 1950's, the pre-match parade was well worth turning up early to watch. This did not include the riders - just the track staff who were all dressed in spotless white boiler suits and maroon berets,and marched in step to their positions (Les Marshall the then promoter, would only accept ex-servicemen as track staff members).

The stirring march that was played was called "We're on Our Way" and was played by the RAF band. (It is out of production now, but I have been able to get hold of a copy to be played at my funeral!!!) At the interval, and at the end of every meeting, the track staff regrouped and marched back into the pits.

Very much different to the way the track staff shamble out to their places these days.

Similar to Owlerton, but the music there was Entry of the Gladiators.

• Like 1

Haha the old marching music, all part of the night out in my early days at Speedway, very much old hat now although some might say, what's wrong with tradition ..... I certainly wasn't into band music when I was 10 but totally accepted it :)

• Like 1

Last sounds to be coming out of Newport speedway was Billy Joel's " I didn't start the fire" but it wasn't Billy singing it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about a playlist for speedways rules? I am thinking...

Billy Bragg and Wilco - the unwelcome guest

R Kelly - double up

Steve Miller Band - the joker

R Kelly - double up

Round and Round - New Order.

R Kelly - double up

One over the eight by Soft Machine.

Killing in the name - Rage against the machine

Closer- nine inch nails

Liven the crowd up a bit

Edited by waihekeaces1