British Speedway Forum

How about a playlist for speedways rules? I am thinking...

Billy Bragg and Wilco - the unwelcome guest

R Kelly - double up

Steve Miller Band - the joker

Anything by Level 42 (point limit). I'll get my coat....

• Like 3

Ring(ers) Ring(ers) - ABBA

To be played at Wimborne Road every race night.

The most disgusting record played by a track when a rider is lying injured on track and the another one bits the dust blares out.

Haha the old marching music, all part of the night out in my early days at Speedway, very much old hat now although some might say, what's wrong with tradition ..... I certainly wasn't into band music when I was 10 but totally accepted it :)

Is that the one that the track rakers came out first to,then the riders if i remember it correctly.

• Like 1

Killing in the name - Rage against the machine

Closer- nine inch nails

Liven the crowd up a bit

Give most of them a cardiac arrest, more like...

Sums up speedway. You're on here wanting for some marching music.

Watch how ice hockey does it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_h0kMa5MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3o-gmEMPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpYHF684dbs

Yet speedway thinking marching out the track staff to marching music and bringing the rider around in front of the main stand to wave at the crowd is the way forward :oops:

Ive said it before and its worth repeating. Ive been in a TV studio when the Pointless tower has dropped (many times!) and it does nothing, sure it looks OK but no excitement. Ive been in there with lighting working and its alright,Ive been in their with just sound and pretty good. Now put the tower dropping on graphics, put the light on and the sound, then throw in the audience and suddenly that quite an experience. Now they didn't randomly pick some music for the tower, the lights don't flash ad-hoc etc. It's all built to work together. Speedway just doesn't get this. We have a show coming up in early summer that is basically the contestant stood in what I can best describe as a big roulette wheel (think wall of death split into segments) and when the lighting, sound and graphics all work it's bloody amazing! Speedway would think some graphics alone works.

When people are coming in and before the meeting the music should be a bit jolly and nice (not Procol Harum a whiter shade of pale which seems to be a favourite of speedway tracks! - despite being a good song IMO) but things like Shine by Take That. Then the intro should start with the lights going down and the music building up to something jumping, loud and with a good beat (not Rocking Robin or the Boys are back in town) and FFS don't stop the truck to get the riders to wave at the crowd on the home straight. And once it's over don't wait 10 minute for the first race. The riders for heat 1 should have their bikes parked up by the start gate so having just worked everyone up you get on with heat 1. As soon as the ehat is over start smashing out a song that encourages people to clap, cheer and move rather than calmly fill in their bloody programme! (on that note. scrap programmes and in stead have the score updated in real time on an app on people phone and have a score board)

But no, keep playing bland, boring songs that rather than whipping people up into a frenzy remind people of the nice times and make them want to go to sleep or cry :rofl:

Yet speedway thinking marching out the track staff to marching music and bringing the rider around in front of the main stand to wave at the crowd is the way forward :oops:

Ive said it before and its worth repeating. Ive been in a TV studio when the Pointless tower has dropped (many times!) and it does nothing, sure it looks OK but no excitement. Ive been in there with lighting working and its alright,Ive been in their with just sound and pretty good. Now put the tower dropping on graphics, put the light on and the sound, then throw in the audience and suddenly that quite an experience. Now they didn't randomly pick some music for the tower, the lights don't flash ad-hoc etc. It's all built to work together. Speedway just doesn't get this. We have a show coming up in early summer that is basically the contestant stood in what I can best describe as a big roulette wheel (think wall of death split into segments) and when the lighting, sound and graphics all work it's bloody amazing! Speedway would think some graphics alone works.

When people are coming in and before the meeting the music should be a bit jolly and nice (not Procol Harum a whiter shade of pale which seems to be a favourite of speedway tracks! - despite being a good song IMO) but things like Shine by Take That. Then the intro should start with the lights going down and the music building up to something jumping, loud and with a good beat (not Rocking Robin or the Boys are back in town) and FFS don't stop the truck to get the riders to wave at the crowd on the home straight. And once it's over don't wait 10 minute for the first race. The riders for heat 1 should have their bikes parked up by the start gate so having just worked everyone up you get on with heat 1. As soon as the ehat is over start smashing out a song that encourages people to clap, cheer and move rather than calmly fill in their bloody programme! (on that note. scrap programmes and in stead have the score updated in real time on an app on people phone and have a score board)

But no, keep playing bland, boring songs that rather than whipping people up into a frenzy remind people of the nice times and make them want to go to sleep or cry :rofl:

I don't think band music is being suggested for these days but it had it's place years ago.... 100% promoters need to think about the sounds they are using during race night... you could say just as the promoters did years ago....

Agree 100% on having a scoreboard. A major mistake at most tracks. The score of the meeting is the most important thing after all. This is a major mistake. The score should be constantly on display.

I remember at Swindon, years back, they used to bring the riders out to Jean Micheal Jarre, with blue lights flashing. It worked really well.

Then, suddenly, without warning, they stopped it and they all started marching out to some horrific marching music.

I wrote a letter to Speedway Star to complain! The following week,David Smart was quoted in the Swindon article agreeing with me.

The week after that, the Swindon promoter (I can't actually remember who it was) said that they though it would be great to bring the team's out to what he called "a stirring march", and the good presentation they had was gone forever.

Edited by grachan

On 12/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, Diamondlil said:

The most disgusting record played by a track when a rider is lying injured on track and the another one bits the dust blares out.

While Peter Prinsloo was lying injured on the track at Poole they kept playing ABBA's "One of US". This included the lyrics "One of us is Dying"

12 minutes ago, packerman said:

While Peter Prinsloo was lying injured on the track at Poole they kept playing ABBA's "One of US". This included the lyrics "One of us is Dying"

That seems pretty tasteless.

I remember that ^^, but not May Each Day,.  Was either prob already in the bar (under age tut, tut ;)) or made fast getaway for the supporters coach home, depending on time.   The racing wasn't the greatest at Brandon in those but what a slick, professional show in a clean stadium....

Personally music never really bothered me as I was always too busy chatting to people between races. A good anthem prior to the meeting starting, however, I felt was important to get the enthusiasm going and helping build up an atmosphere but music between races didn't bother me. In my formative and later years as it was more often than not chart music that dominated but personally I didn't take much notice.

45 minutes ago, adonis said:

what wipeout or Laurence Rogers ?

Both!

Ready Steady Go by Paul Oakenfold

Highway to the dangerzone - Kenny Loggins - Both remind me of the mid 00's around Kings Lynn.