British Speedway Forum

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

A good line up this year. It looks like the line-ups were weaker in recent years for one reason and one reason alone. Nobody actually bothered to ask the World stars if they wanted to ride.

Well done Jason. What a great ambassador he is for Somerset Speedway. Bleughhhhh....

That’s one hell of an assumption / accusation. Recall reading several statements from Mr Ackroyd regarding the lack of support from numerous riders for this great cause, during recent seasons. As I see it, anyone that makes such a challenging effort for the benefit of others deserves the utmost respect. 

• Like 1

Good to see top names coming back.... an important meeting that riders should back whole heartedly 

SRBF does a great job.

Not sure but am unaware of any equivalent fund in other countries

The Ben Fund Bonanza organisers are hoping that the fans will be involved to a greater extent than ever before in the tenth Bonanza (Peterborough 18th March, 2pm), without it costing them an excessive amount.

There will be a Pre Meeting Track Walk with one of the Meeting Riders who will talk to you about Track Preparation, Racing Lines, and what they look for during the pre meeting track walk. The cost of being on that walk will be £10 per person.

The souvenir programme will contain a “fence” on one page for which fans will be able to buy a "brick" for £10. Each fictitious "brick" will bear the name of the purchaser in the programme. For these opportunities please email -email- Please reference either Track Walk or Fence

For those with a little bit more money and who are feeling generous there are of course the usual higher levels of backing which can be offered to this great cause. 

Full meeting sponsorships are available at £2,000 and there are also packages for general sponsorship at £300, rider sponsorship also £300, heats at £150 and programme advertising at £100.

For full details check the SRBF.CO.UK website or contact Stephanie Babb on 07901 976912. You can also email -email-to get involved.

Riders announced so far: Kenneth Bjerre, Hans Andersen, Bjarne Pedersen and Niels Kristian Iversen (Denmark), Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls, Ben Barker, Danny King and Steve Worrall (UK), Jason Doyle and Nick Morris (Australia).

http://www.peterboroughpanthers.co/news.php?extend.3294

On 1/26/2018 at 8:23 PM, Hodgy said:

That’s one hell of an assumption / accusation. Recall reading several statements from Mr Ackroyd regarding the lack of support from numerous riders for this great cause, during recent seasons. As I see it, anyone that makes such a challenging effort for the benefit of others deserves the utmost respect. 

Grachan's comment is totally wrong. I can't understand why he would say it. There are numerous examples of big name riders being asked but either saying no (sometimes for some appropriate reason and sometimes not) or simply not giving an answer at all. It was never in anyone's interest to publicise these disappointments.

• Like 1

We thought it might be quite a good way of raising some funds for the Ben Fund by selling sets of the 10 programmes for the meetings we have had since 2009. One drawback - the Rye House meeting of 2009 was a complete sell-out so we only have 9 of them available (at least when the Peterborough issue is produced). Is there any chance that anyone might have a spare copy of the 2010 BFB at Rye House they don't need? If so you could send me a message. Postage would be refunded.

We're staying at the Holiday Inn on the Saturday and Sunday . So if anyone else is and they want to join us for a drink in the pub next door , on the Saturday evening ,the more the merrier . 

• Like 2

FORMER Bradford title-winning team-mates Gary Havelock and Garry Stead will both be back on a bike at the Ben Fund Bonanza showpiece next month.

The two riders who were part of the Dukes’ victorious Elite League squad of 1997 both suffered career-ending and life-changing injuries, but they plan to lap the East of England Arena circuit at Peterborough on March 18.

Havelock, who lost the use of his left arm after a crash in 2012, said: “We’re going to adapt a bike so it will have a little lever under the handlebar, like a quad bike or a jet ski, which acts as a throttle when you press it with your thumb. 

“We’ll put that on the right hand side, and also the clutch lever which I will work with my fingers. We’ll have to find some ingenious way of involving lots of elastic bands and duct tape to fasten my left hand to the handlebars.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to wave at the crowd! But it will be nice to get back on a bike, and good to do it for the Ben Fund which does so much for so many different riders.”

Stead, meanwhile, was paralysed from the waist down in a crash over a decade ago. He said: “Once I’m away it needs to be right, I won’t know where my legs are. It is quite tricky to start with just to make sure everything’s right. It doesn’t need to be too tight on my body as well. It just takes time to do things. 

“I still have kevlars, I have the actual colours I finished with, I’ve got a suit that I never used, that goes back to 2005.

“The Ben Fund Bonanza is a very, very worthwhile event, people put a lot of money in. It’s invaluable to the injured riders.”

• Like 1

Many, many thanks to Paul Ackroyd for the excellent work that he has put in over the years as Ben Fund Secretary. The amount of time and money that he has contributed to the sport is remarkable. Plenty of people have been given honours for less. Good luck in his new role as Chairman, and to the new Secretary Stephanie Babb.

• Like 3

Start time now moved back to half 6

So what happened to the fans must come first?. That didn't last very long. We haven't even started the season and start time changes are already on us, changing dates will follow followed by the normal shoddy organisation of the speedway promoters. When will they ever learn that Sunday nights is not a good night because people who travel have to get up and go to work the next day. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

So what happened to the fans must come first?. That didn't last very long. We haven't even started the season and start time changes are already on us, changing dates will follow followed by the normal shoddy organisation of the speedway promoters. When will they ever learn that Sunday nights is not a good night because people who travel have to get up and go to work the next day. 

Absolutely- 6-30 on a Sunday aweful start time for traveling fans 

8 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

As the Press Release says this is an enforced change - certainly not ‘shoddy organisation of the speedway promoters’.

23 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

As they do for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday meetings...

32 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

As the Press Release says this is an enforced change - certainly not ‘shoddy organisation of the speedway promoters’.

Enforced by who? Anyways Means I'm being enforced to no longer go... along with lots of others no doubt