British Speedway Forum

Great start to season lol

Rossiter said in 2011 that the season shouldn't start at least until British Summer Time starts but speedway prefers the cold, dark and wet for some reason. Yes they can get lucky with the weather but chances are it'll be as it is.

Edited by Crump99

9 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Oh hell wait for the fun to begin now

With temps feeling like -5* on Sunday it wouldn't have felt much like fun  :D

7 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Rossiter said in 2011 that the season shouldn't start at least until British Summer Time starts but speedway never learns!

Yet when you run later in the year against the World/Cup/ Euros etc) the gates are less and do any of us know what the weather will be in the future near impossible.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yet when you run later in the year against the World/Cup/ Euros etc) the gates are less and do any of us know what the weather will be in the future near impossible.

We know that it's a summer sport and the weather should be better in the summer months whereas March is more than likely to be rubbish. I doubt that other events generally cause too many problems but that's something that goes with the territory and needs to be worked around.

11 minutes ago, blupanther said:

With temps feeling like -5* on Sunday it wouldn't have felt much like fun  :D

Especially as they are forecasting snow now.for Sunday.

Fair play, I wonder if the number of people unable to attend due to the late start time helped make this decision easier.

Hopefully most of the line up can be retained for the restaging and that it goes back to an afternoon start time.

22 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

We know that it's a summer sport and the weather should be better in the summer months whereas March is more than likely to be rubbish. I doubt that other events generally cause too many problems but that's something that goes with the territory and needs to be worked around.

Yet late March was always the point for me that speedway got started  for me anyway you are right Crump99  you have to be realistic.Speedway it is so tough now you  have the World Cup/ euros to compete against in the summer some forward thinking and planning needs to happen interesting to see if it does.?

Gutted , i suppose train tickets are non refundable 

4 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Ring the train company they might be refundable if not keep hold of them because of the snow is bad the train might not run anyway on which case you may be able to get a refund.  

It's no wonder the sport is hemorrhaging supporters on a yearly basis with calamity cases like this. First the time change now cancelling 5 days before the event.

I get it's a risk for the promotion by losing money however for those who have booked accommodation and no refund policy?? As usual it's the supporters that get treated like 2nd class citizens.

Long term forecast is poor, I get that too. And what If forecast improves later in week??

I'm struggling to get excited about our great sport these days as it's obvious each year is going to be another one that alienates supporters further.

We should all be excited about the start of a new season with some great line ups for individual meetings but I can't see many taking place whilst promoters won't take any risk running a meeting these days. 

I'll be saving my money for something that I know won't waste my money.

Disappointing and predictable outcome. 

• Like 4

Sensible decision given the recent conditions and the truly awful forecast for the weekend.

May in the end work out for the best for event if the right replacement date can be found.

Really feel for the likes of Paulco and Willie with pre booked travel and hotel - hope you manage to get refunds fellas.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

It's no wonder the sport is hemorrhaging supporters on a yearly basis with calamity cases like this. First the time change now cancelling 5 days before the event.

I get it's a risk for the promotion by losing money however for those who have booked accommodation and no refund policy?? As usual it's the supporters that get treated like 2nd class citizens.

Long term forecast is poor, I get that too. And what If forecast improves later in week??

I'm struggling to get excited about our great sport these days as it's obvious each year is going to be another one that alienates supporters further.

We should all be excited about the start of a new season with some great line ups for individual meetings but I can't see many taking place whilst promoters won't take any risk running a meeting these days. 

I'll be saving my money for something that I know won't waste my money.

Disappointing and predictable outcome. 

You say you know the long term forecast is poor, but still moan it's called off early. Had it not been called off until 10.00am Sunday, you would have moaned that they knew all week what the weather was likely to be like. Just no pleasing some.  P.S.  I know there are some who have been inconvenienced, but hundreds of others haven't.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Will the train even run on Sunday?  If not, then there certainly will be refundable.