British Speedway Forum

Bbc.co.uk/weather shows a good weekend for peterborough, but quite cold - not awful as some have said. Makes me wonder how many will be called off at the showground this year.  Still, it's better than riders refusing to ride on the day with the crowd restless!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

Doesn’t pay the train or hotel , ill imformed rant 

Yes it is an ill informed rant, regardless of your you're financial losses re hotel and train , to blame the Peterborough promotion for having to cancel the meeting because of an unfit track and adverse conditions forecast for this weekend is disgraceful , perhaps you would have rather they called the meeting off after you're arrival or worst still to expect the riders to put on a display on a unfit track surface thus putting themselves open to serious injury in a benefit meeting to fund riders with serious injuries whilst trying to entertain fans is nothing short of laughable.

11 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Bbc.co.uk/weather shows a good weekend for peterborough, but quite cold - not awful as some have said. Makes me wonder how many will be called off at the showground this year.  Still, it's better than riders refusing to ride on the day with the crowd restless!!!!!!

Countryfile weather 3 days ago forecast a warm and dry weekend but now it's unsettled and -4 so who knows what the forecast will be by Friday. I don't usually take much notice of Dick's track news but having been to a saturated central park in Peterborough this morning with my dog, I can say that that's usually a decent indicator that the EoES is the same so I'd say that he's correct with the state of the track. It's not drying weather either so a decision had to be made and it has, and I'd say the correct one. Problem with Peterborough these days is that it needs to run like clockwork because the knives are out from all sides but unfortunately this has turned into a dogs'!

Always up against it once the start time was changed - the one thing to be learned from this is if s club can’t start the meeting at 2 pm the meeting goes to another club who can this meeting should never have been allocated to Pboro in the first place . 

• Like 2

Having looked at 4 weather websites, its difficult to be precise of Sundays weather.   2 give dry and cloudy, and the other 2 say cold with showers.    To call a meeting off  5 days prior because for the weather forecast is asking for problems.   Before long we will be calling off next weeks meetings  in case it might rain,,...

The track may be wet,  but surely it doesn't take  that long to scrape the top off  and lay some new stuff...      Like I said,  seems to me they took the easy option and used the 'Get out of Jail'  card.          

Real shame really, this was to be the first meeting of the season,  and imagine there would have been a good turnout.....   Feel sorry for the people who have shelled out money already...

With far fewer fixtures this year, I was hoping there wouldn't be any racing until April, it'll be the same at the end of the season, with clubs struggling to complete things in October. Very disappointing!

• Like 2

I am sure this decision gives no pleasure to anybody including the organizers who have suffered enough flack already. There is likely more to this than meets the eye and my own view would be that the EOES having forced a change of start time have refused  Speedway sufficient access to the track for adequate preparation . As EOES hold all the cards and have already threatened to take their ball home the Speedway organizers are scared of upsetting their landlords

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Always up against it once the start time was changed - the one thing to be learned from this is if s club can’t start the meeting at 2 pm the meeting goes to another club who can this meeting should never have been allocated to Pboro in the first place . 

Why shouldn't it have been allocated to Peterborough? If it had run as planned then it would have been a roaring success. Only those inside know why and where it's all gone pear shaped. I would agree that in future for any such meetings there is a reserve track in place and the meeting runs as first publicised or is immediately moved. For this meeting though I'd guess that with the drivers event putting a spanner in the works then speedway parking would be on the already waterlogged grassed areas. That'd be a big no no for the EoES so an early decision was probably taken out of the club's hands anyway.

14 hours ago, Paulco said:

Gutted , i suppose train tickets are non refundable 

Recently had to cancel a trip. South Western Railways gave me a full refund, just took them to Christchurch station told the ticket office I wasn’t going to use them, no quibble refund back to the debit card that paid for them.The tickets were returned before the day of travel.

I'll give it a try at Paisley Gilmour Street later Nick 

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Why shouldn't it have been allocated to Peterborough? If it had run as planned then it would have been a roaring success. Only those inside know why and where it's all gone pear shaped. I would agree that in future for any such meetings there is a reserve track in place and the meeting runs as first publicised or is immediately moved. For this meeting though I'd guess that with the drivers event putting a spanner in the works then speedway parking would be on the already waterlogged grassed areas. That'd be a big no no for the EoES so an early decision was probably taken out of the club's hands anyway.

Once the 2pm start time was lost this meeting should have been switched to another club straight away . 

depending how hotel bookings were done, ie online, there is an option to get a room with free cancellation, costs about a tenner more but gives you piece of mind

Booked my hotel with cancellation option firstly for Saturday night, cancelled that after start time change and rebooked  for Sunday night and just cancelled that booking.  My opinion is for speedway meetings I always choose bookings with cancellation options even if it might cost me more as nowadays rain offs etc are becoming more frequent. I hope everyone who booked in advance for this meeting manages to get refunds.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Haza said:

Once the 2pm start time was lost this meeting should have been switched to another club straight away . 

And how would that of helped all those that had train and hotels booked as it looks like most were booked well in advance of the meeting date.