British Speedway Forum

I've said it before and I'll say it again... If you're going to cancel meetings based on a weather forecast you may as well give up speedway promotion now! Tbf though they do say the track is currently in no fit state for racing, but having attended a couple of fiascos at Peterborough last season I wonder if it ever is

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

And how would that of helped all those that had train and hotels booked as it looks like most were booked well in advance of the meeting date.

A 100% set in stone 2pm start time should a condition of being awarded the meeting -  Granted the weather comes into play were ever it’s held in this country 

Shame that the cancellation has happened but most probably a wise decision.

Hope the field of riders can be maintained for the new date

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again... If you're going to cancel meetings based on a weather forecast you may as well give up speedway promotion now! Tbf though they do say the track is currently in no fit state for racing, but having attended a couple of fiascos at Peterborough last season I wonder if it ever is

Speedway meetings have always been at the mercy of weather, that will never change unless you put a roof on. Early cancellations are common sense, and anyone that doesn't understand why is obviously ignorant of logistics ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blupanther said:

Speedway meetings have always been at the mercy of weather, that will never change unless you put a roof on. Early cancellations are common sense, and anyone that doesn't understand why is obviously ignorant of logistics ...

What do you suggest hire Cardiff for the day!!     at Swindon i believe there is a cut off time to  postspone if not they still have to pay rental.? Even in our good old British summer time there are cancellations and how many times are the weather forecasts wrong anyway sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Just to clarify, that the current state of the Peterborough track has as much to do with any postponement as the forecast.  It's very soft and there's no way it could recover in time for Sunday.  It's unavoidable, given recent weather.  If you notice, any tracks holding amateur meetings this winter have seen their programme decimated.

Id be surprised if any track in Britain is currently in a position that would get a meeting on for this coming weekend 

10 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Id be surprised if any track in Britain is currently in a position that would get a meeting on for this coming weekend 

Belle vue have there press and practice today. Track fine. And first meeting on Monday is all set 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Belle vue have there press and practice today. Track fine. And first meeting on Monday is all set 

The exception to prove the rule!!

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

What do you suggest hire Cardiff for the day!!     at Swindon i believe there is a cut off time to  postspone if not they still have to pay rental.? Even in our good old British summer time there are cancellations and how many times are the weather forecasts wrong anyway sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Obviously there is 'no chance' of getting the track race able for Sunday, and the press and practice day on Saturday has also been postponed ....

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Pity that wasnt the case on grand opening night.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blupanther said:

Obviously there is 'no chance' of getting the track race able for Sunday, and the press and practice day on Saturday has also been postponed ....

Expect that some will want Peterboroughs P&P moved to another track now then 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have paid for hotel, all booked with the original start time & now I won't get any money back! gutted? yes.

Is it the right decision to call this meeting off early........... DEFINITELY YES 100%

As stated previously I hope riders will support a new date when announced showing their support for fellow riders. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Think that Peterborough had or has a lunch time cut off for rental charges? You don't have to take a chance. If you're local it's quite easy to tell when it will or will not run. In the last 5 years I've probably called it wrong twice despite whatever official message is given

Edited by Crump99