British Speedway Forum

From SpeedwayGB Facebook page posted by Ged this morning:

Just to clarify the east of England arena is under water 
We cannot get tractors on the track to prepare a race meeting all land maintenance on the arena is on hold as the last few weeks weather conditions have left the entire grass land and track underwater 
Please remember my team and Paul have worked tirelessly putting this meeting together and we are as saddened as everyone else
What we didnt want was a large crowd and very poor race conditions and the track ruined for the first half of the season 
We’ve called the meeting off early so people don’t travel and can cancel hotels 
We look forward to re-staging the meeting and hope supporters understand the joint decision that myself Paul and the grounds work team at the east of England arena made together

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Met Office has been pretty pants lately if that's their only source.

Edited by Crump99

31 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

From SpeedwayGB Facebook page posted by Ged this morning:

Just to clarify the east of England arena is under water 
We cannot get tractors on the track to prepare a race meeting all land maintenance on the arena is on hold as the last few weeks weather conditions have left the entire grass land and track underwater 
Please remember my team and Paul have worked tirelessly putting this meeting together and we are as saddened as everyone else
What we didnt want was a large crowd and very poor race conditions and the track ruined for the first half of the season 
We’ve called the meeting off early so people don’t travel and can cancel hotels 
We look forward to re-staging the meeting and hope supporters understand the joint decision that myself Paul and the grounds work team at the east of England arena made together

Thanks Neil , I am sure however that there are some on here who will still not believe

20 hours ago, stevebrum said:

My whole point is that meetings are called off early due to long term weather predictions yet have seen on several occasions the day of the meeting being absolutely fine.

I know we have had a poor run with weather that was going to make any meeting suspect at the moment (I know in cycle speedway no meetings have taken place yet due to poor weather causing tracks not fit for racing on, however we aren't allowed to call matches off until 48 hrs before!) however we neither have the expertise or equipment to get a meeting on at short notice like they do in Sweden and Poland either. 

Brum

The track is currently underwater, staff walking on it yesterday sunk into it up to their ankles.

In all honesty unless we get some decent weather in the meantime ( and the forecast isn’t good) we will do well to get next weeks match on

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Brum

The track is currently underwater, staff walking on it yesterday sunk into it up to their ankles.

In all honesty unless we get some decent weather in the meantime ( and the forecast isn’t good) we will do well to get next weeks match on

We don't often agree bcd, however here in Ipswich no practise today, we too have had awful weather, so am not surprised re the call off, frankly should think several meetings might be in doubt in the near future, without some dry spells of weather, with or without the dreadful weekend forecast.

relax people . all is not lost if you want to support the ben fund in a different way .

workington speedway are having the Cumberland Classic on the 31ts march (Saturday ) and away fans with season tickets from their club can come along and watch  the classic for a £10 entrance fee. £5 of which goes directly towards the ben fund , fund . so you are getting in for 5 squid .

please see the official comets  site for details of riders start times etc .

collection points will be around the stadium for locals and other fans to show their appreciation of what the ben fund does for riders .

as long as you have a current 2018 season ticket , you will be allowed the discount .

dont know if that applies to the wucky lot . but we dont mind putting our short arms/hands into our deep pockets .lol.

SO ITS SATURDAY , 31ST MARCH. THINK ITS 7PM START . 

please try and make this wonderful gesture by the promotion a success .

THANK YOU . 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Brum

As I've said I get most tracks will struggle to get racing on at the moment. 

My only point is that we are admitting defeat way too early these days. It may well prove to be the right thing. However the weather has a funny habit of changing as and when it suits. 

I think arranging these kind of high profile, big named line ups are a waste of time this early in the season anyway. They are often doomed to failure. 

8 hours ago, stevebrum said:

As I've said I get most tracks will struggle to get racing on at the moment. 

My only point is that we are admitting defeat way too early these days. It may well prove to be the right thing. However the weather has a funny habit of changing as and when it suits. 

I think arranging these kind of high profile, big named line ups are a waste of time this early in the season anyway. They are often doomed to failure. 

Well it’s pouring here in Peterborough this morning and has been for a while so the forecast was right for today

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Well it’s pouring here in Peterborough this morning and has been for a while so the forecast was right for today

Let's hope it's the same the rest of the weekend as well. 

1 minute ago, stevebrum said:

It will be worse - temps will not rise above freezing at any point during the day

Amber warning from met office for ice and snow in the east

As a footnote - when Im defending Peterborough you know they must be right :lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Doesn't matter now what the weather does for the next 3 days, the track will not dry enough. It will be cold and cloudy.

The only thing that could of saved the meeting was 3 or 4 days of sunshine/wind and a temperature about 25 to 30 degrees higher than its going to be!! 

The management have done the right thing as the weather has been very wet and it's forecast to be even worse with snow and ice from Saturday.       It will save riders a lot of trouble to know now it's off.

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It will be worse - temps will not rise above freezing at any point during the day

As a footnote - when Im defending Peterborough you know they must be right :lol:

same here ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was me wondering what to do for laughs now Dodd and Bowen have passed when up pops 99 to remind me he is still here for me ;)

5 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Is this some sort of New Year Resolution, or will normal service be resumed soon? ;)

But yes, it's blatantly obvious that the Ben Fund and Peterborough Speedway made completely the right decision - there's no way a speedway meeting could have taken place this coming Sunday.

• Like 1