British Speedway Forum

Absolute correct decision. The delayed start time and very poor weather forecast (irrelevant how accurate) would have had a significant impact on the attendance for this vital fund raiser. The Ben Fund would have been the biggest loser. 

• Like 2

What's the weather been like in Peterborough the past few days?

48 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

A mixture, some sunshine, some rain and some cloud.

Bloody freezing now with some snow this morning.

49 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

TURN ROUND BRUM, ITS OFF...

Image result for polar bear

• Haha 7

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:42 PM, stevebrum said:

As I've said I get most tracks will struggle to get racing on at the moment. 

My only point is that we are admitting defeat way too early these days. It may well prove to be the right thing. However the weather has a funny habit of changing as and when it suits. 

I think arranging these kind of high profile, big named line ups are a waste of time this early in the season anyway. They are often doomed to failure. 

Belle Vue don't seem to be having a problem for Monday, nor was there one in having their press and practice last Wednesday.  

I don't think that in general teams do call meetings off too early.  They usually do so on the day of the match in the face of an adverse weather forecast and given how much a rain off with the riders at the track costs (I have it on good authority that even an NL meeting is thousands) its difficult to argue with that. 

Calling a meeting off 24 hours before hand is exceptional, to the point that it will provoke comment. Doing so 5 days before hand solely because of the weather is, to my knowledge, unheard of and the chaos similar actions would cause during the season doesn't bear thinking about.

This is speedway, so inevitably there will be a suspicion that the unprecedented early call off might be for some reason other than that that we are being told about. 

4 hours ago, blupanther said:

TURN ROUND BRUM, ITS OFF...

Image result for polar bear

:lol:

That made me chuckle. Just politely asking if the area is still bad as this predicted bad weather hasn't hit everywhere.

5 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Belle Vue don't seem to be having a problem for Monday, nor was there one in having their press and practice last Wednesday.  

I don't think that in general teams do call meetings off too early.  They usually do so on the day of the match in the face of an adverse weather forecast and given how much a rain off with the riders at the track costs (I have it on good authority that even an NL meeting is thousands) its difficult to argue with that. 

Calling a meeting off 24 hours before hand is exceptional, to the point that it will provoke comment. Doing so 5 days before hand solely because of the weather is, to my knowledge, unheard of and the chaos similar actions would cause during the season doesn't bear thinking about.

This is speedway, so inevitably there will be a suspicion that the unprecedented early call off might be for some reason other than that that we are being told about. 

Really don’t understand the conspiracy theories. The Ben Fund is a one off season meeting that survives on maximising essential fund raising opportunities. As previously stated, the delayed start time and severe weather forecast would have a significant negative impact on the attendance and funds raised. The place is flooded with -7 wind chill temperatures. 

In my opinion definitely the right call. Sadly the dog with the bone is gagging for the “told you so” moment. Without consideration regarding the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Really don’t understand the conspiracy theories. The Ben Fund is a one off season meeting that survives on maximising essential fund raising opportunities. As previously stated, the delayed start time and severe weather forecast would have a significant negative impact on the attendance and funds raised. The place is flooded with -7 wind chill temperatures. 

In my opinion definitely the right call. Sadly the dog with the bone is gagging for the “told you so” moment. Without consideration regarding the bigger picture. 

Two reasons : Its speedway and so early a call off that it is without precedent.

I still think that calling a meeting off 5 days before hand and on the strength of a long range forecast is ridiculous.

As I have said, where would the sport be if that became common practice ? 

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Two reasons : Its speedway and so early a call off that it is without precedent.

I still think that calling a meeting off 5 days before hand and on the strength of a long range forecast is ridiculous.

As I have said, where would the sport be if that became common practice ? 

5 days is not a long range forecast, and temps of -8 with snow falling on an already flooded track is hardly likely to become common is it :rolleyes:

• Like 6

There was one solution that couldve ensured the meeting went ahead.....

Book the Ice Gladiators to ride ;)

• Haha 1

Looking out of the window this morning, the call off decision is more than vindicated.

Will we hear apologies from all those that said it was the wrong decision?

In this particular case and taking all factors into account I don't think any other decision could have been made.

• Like 2

Promoters cant do right for doing wrong, call it off early and they get pelters, leave it until the day of the meeting people are then saying why wasn't it called off earlier because ive booked a days holiday, hotel room etc. Ive just dug the car out so hoping for the best tomorrow:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Star Lady said:

Looking out of the window this morning, the call off decision is more than vindicated.

Will we hear apologies from all those that said it was the wrong decision?

Now your being silly. I expected better from you :P