British Speedway Forum

19 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Belle Vue don't seem to be having a problem for Monday, nor was there one in having their press and practice last Wednesday.  

I don't think that in general teams do call meetings off too early.  They usually do so on the day of the match in the face of an adverse weather forecast and given how much a rain off with the riders at the track costs (I have it on good authority that even an NL meeting is thousands) its difficult to argue with that. 

Calling a meeting off 24 hours before hand is exceptional, to the point that it will provoke comment. Doing so 5 days before hand solely because of the weather is, to my knowledge, unheard of and the chaos similar actions would cause during the season doesn't bear thinking about.

This is speedway, so inevitably there will be a suspicion that the unprecedented early call off might be for some reason other than that that we are being told about. 

The call-off wasn’t solely because of the forecast though, it was the forecast in conjunction with the track already being under water, giving no opportunity to erect the air-fence or prepare the racing surface. 

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Two reasons : Its speedway and so early a call off that it is without precedent.

I still think that calling a meeting off 5 days before hand and on the strength of a long range forecast is ridiculous.

As I have said, where would the sport be if that became common practice ? 

You’re completely missing my point regarding this ‘one off’ meeting and it’s meaning. 

Edited by Hodgy

7 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

The call-off wasn’t solely because of the forecast though, it was the forecast in conjunction with the track already being under water, giving no opportunity to erect the air-fence or prepare the racing surface. 

There are two inches of snow on the track at Belle Vue as I type. The meeting tomorrow - at least at present - is still on.

What do they know that Peterborough don't ?

My point still stands : I have never heard of a meeting being called off due to the weather 5 days before hand. 24 hours is exceptional, and actions like this during the season would create chaos.

Put it this way, a club could postpone a meeting 5 days in advance in full knowledge that it would affect their - or another - teams play off chances on the strength of a weather forecast and/or track conditions at the point of postponement. I wonder if questions would be asked if that happened ? 

Weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable for 1 day in advance, never mind 5. 

My criticism here is not in calling a meeting off on the strength of a weather forecast - that is absolutely understandable and a matter of financial expediency.

Its setting a precedent that doing so 5 days before hand is OK that concerns me - and I really don't see that the Ben Fund being a one off makes any difference. 

If it happens at club level during the season then you can ask for the explanation. I really don't see the problem here or that a precedent has been set given the nature of the meeting.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

There are two inches of snow on the track at Belle Vue as I type. The meeting tomorrow - at least at present - is still on.

My point still stands : I have never heard of a meeting being called off due to the weather 5 days before hand. 24 hours is exceptional, and actions like this during the season would create chaos.

Put it this way, a club could postpone a meeting 5 days in advance in full knowledge that it would affect their - or another - teams play off chances on the strength of a weather forecast and/or track conditions at the point of postponement. I wonder if questions would be asked if that happened ? 

Weather forecasts are notoriously unreliable for 1 day in advance, never mind 5. 

My criticism here is not in calling a meeting off on the strength of a weather forecast - that is absolutely understandable and a matter of financial expediency.

Its setting a precedent that doing so 5 days before hand is OK that concerns me - and I really don't see that the Ben Fund being a one off makes any difference. 

Having seen pics of the track on twitter this morning even track staff walking on it would do untold damage. Heaven knows what machinery would do. In principle I agree early call offs are not good but this was an exceptional case and the early call off totally justified.

• Like 3

Frankly 'HalifaxTiger', I'm astonished by your attitude to all this as you're one of the more respected posters on this forum. I'm at the Showground as I type this. There is no question that the meeting could have gone ahead - and that has been the case all week, hence the early postponement. There may be cases where 'fingers crossed and hope for the best' is appropriate, this was not one of them. 

• Like 2

Cycle speedway in Ipswich iced off today and we have got off lightly compared with forecast

IMG-20180318-WA0000.jpg

NEXT WEEK'S opener at Wolves has been cancelled, due to current bad weather cue the usual suspects to moan and groan

league meetings are predominantly local supporters, so calling off a meeting on the day isn't so much of a ball ache as calling off a meeting where supporters are coming in from all over the place.

notice was given that the track won't be ready so people were able to change their plans in advance. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Let's wait until tomorrow and see if it's still on. 

Im sure he will provide a few opportunities during the season to enable people to oblige.....:P

22 minutes ago, brylcream boy said:

Surprised no one has blamed Rob Godfrey.

It goes without saying that it's his fault though, we're just exploring other options.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:32 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Belle Vue don't seem to be having a problem for Monday, nor was there one in having their press and practice last Wednesday.  

I don't think that in general teams do call meetings off too early.  They usually do so on the day of the match in the face of an adverse weather forecast and given how much a rain off with the riders at the track costs (I have it on good authority that even an NL meeting is thousands) its difficult to argue with that. 

Calling a meeting off 24 hours before hand is exceptional, to the point that it will provoke comment. Doing so 5 days before hand solely because of the weather is, to my knowledge, unheard of and the chaos similar actions would cause during the season doesn't bear thinking about.

This is speedway, so inevitably there will be a suspicion that the unprecedented early call off might be for some reason other than that that we are being told about. 

Regards Belle Vue not having a problem,they have been lucky in respect that the cold snap has happened either side of them needing the track.Bloody unusual for Manchester i know.But today down here the temperature hasn't got above freezing and the riders would have needed spikes on their tyres.

31 minutes ago, brylcream boy said:

Surprised no one has blamed Rob Godfrey.

If it he was to blame wouldn't we just be told that  "the actions of Mr Godfrey were accepted as being made at all times with the best intentions, and in consideration of his role within British Speedway". (Borrowed the quote from the SCB)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1