British Speedway Forum

28 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Sensible decision given the recent conditions and the truly awful forecast for the weekend.

May in the end work out for the best for event if the right replacement date can be found.

Really feel for the likes of Paulco and Willie with pre booked travel and hotel - hope you manage to get refunds fellas.

Yeah it's gutting for such as Paulco and Willie, but I think it's the only decision that could be made.  Forecast for Sunday is wet, cold and icy, even possibly snow.

I cant help thinking the weather has been used as a 'get out of Jail Card' here.   They also mention the track is not fit to race yet, but it could have been, these past two days we have had decent weather compared with some we've had.   i know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but thinking back , probably it ought to have been called off for  a more fitting date,  when they put the start time back..     

After a long off season, the first meeting always creates a lot of interest.      Yes!  no doubt many would have made plans to travel and stay over,   and it is these people I feel for.      Surely, if these people can prove they have already paid out and are out of pocket, the Promoters should be made to foot their expenses.....     

• Like 1

The track is a complete quagmire due to recent weather and rain for about the last 24 hours.

Tell me a track thats not the same , its got to be the worst winter as in wet frost snow. 

36 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

You say you know the long term forecast is poor, but still moan it's called off early. Had it not been called off until 10.00am Sunday, you would have moaned that they knew all week what the weather was likely to be like. Just no pleasing some.  P.S.  I know there are some who have been inconvenienced, but hundreds of others haven't.

My whole point is that meetings are called off early due to long term weather predictions yet have seen on several occasions the day of the meeting being absolutely fine.

I know we have had a poor run with weather that was going to make any meeting suspect at the moment (I know in cycle speedway no meetings have taken place yet due to poor weather causing tracks not fit for racing on, however we aren't allowed to call matches off until 48 hrs before!) however we neither have the expertise or equipment to get a meeting on at short notice like they do in Sweden and Poland either. 

• Like 1

It is to be expected given the time of year but the way the sport is at present this will only fuel all sorts of conspiracy theories. With the speedway of nations (or World Cup as it used to be called) being a block on most fixtures, why not hold it the same week and possibly a pre-cursor to the Belle Vue meeting which may attract even more spectators and fill the coffers of the Ben Fund a bit better than a March meeting on a Sunday evening when the travelling supporters will think twice about attending. Make it a Saturday or early Sunday afternoon then you will more than likely get a better turn out. The down side is the supporters don’t count so is it any wonder these type of individual meetings do not get the support they deserve.  

I can understand i being called off.It maybe fine on the day but it's not summer temperatures and track conditions wouldn't dry out with the temperatures we are having.Especially with temperatures about to get a lot colder again.Today it seems is the only dry day we have had in a while but then again it rained overnight.

52 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Will the train even run on Sunday?  If not, then there certainly will be refundable. 

No way--you'll get a credit for a future journey.

41 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

The track is a complete quagmire due to recent weather and rain for about the last 24 hours.

I don't doubt your word, but its unusual that a meeting is called off the day before hand never mind 5 days before on the basis of a long term forecast - a forecast that becomes more unreliable the further it is in the future.

Where would we be if that became common practice ? 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Paulco said:

Gutted , i suppose train tickets are non refundable 

Hold onto them and travel to Peterborough on June 2nd mega pop group Steps are rocking the football ground that day,  bring Willie as well you will have the time of your life and speedway will be a long forgotten past time.

9 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Hold onto them and travel to Peterborough on June 2nd mega pop group Steps are rocking the football ground that day,  bring Willie as well you will have the time of your life and speedway will be a long forgotten past time.

Steps and rocking :D

19 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

When watching Steps replaces  speedway then you know your life is as good as over. :D

Steps are to rock what Micheal Jepsen Jepsen is to GP speedway. :P

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 1

The only surprise is it’s the 1st time in the history of the event it’s been cancelled, It must be a Peterborough thing there current Promoters seem to be cursed nothing seems to be straight forward 

I have booked train tickets and hotel would love to see was this really booked in by the Peterborough promotion, pissed off and out of pocket an under statement . Would love a sensible reply to a disgruntled fan . Fact I won’t ever put a penny in to toe Peterborough promotion but there again they will get money for letting Plalm Toft race in Poland for a fee I think not . This is why attendances are falling Joke club joke promotion end of

6 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

6 minutes ago, Tosh1218 said:

I have booked train tickets and hotel would love to see was this really booked in by the Peterborough promotion, pissed off and out of pocket an under statement . Would love a sensible reply to a disgruntled fan . Fact I won’t ever put a penny in to toe Peterborough promotion but there again they will get money for letting Plalm Toft race in Poland for a fee I think not . This is why attendances are falling Joke club joke promotion end of

Ill informed rant forgivable under the circumstances!!!!