Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

 

It is not unknown for the showground to give the ok as has happened in this case and then decide another event will  take longer than expected then ask ( demand) that Speedway fits in with this.

Fair enough I'm not in the know how things have to be run at the showground and maybe the speedway have no choice and are totally innocent in this, still makes it look poor though whoevers fault it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PETERBOROUGH co-promoter Ged Rathbone has moved to clarify the circumstances behind the start-time change for the Ben Fund Bonanza later this month.

The club have been forced to switch the meeting at the East of England Arena to a 6.30pm start on Sunday March 18, rather than the initially planned 2pm.

And Rathbone has urged supporters to still get behind the event, which has attracted a high-class field, with all proceeds going directly to the Fund to benefit injured riders.

He said: “We do understand people had made arrangements for a 2pm start, which would have been absolutely fine, and the change disappoints us just as much as the supporters.

“The simple reason is that there is another event going on at the Showground, and due to the size of crowd that is expected for the speedway, it can’t run alongside that other event, so we’ve been asked to move.

“The only realistic option we had was to put the start-time back, and we were actually asked to move it to 7.30pm, but we’ve been able to negotiate the time that we have. The only other option really would have been to cancel the meeting.

“We’re just as gutted from our own point of view as a lot of organisation has already gone into it, and we had a great many things planned for the day which are now going to have to be shelved.

“But we do have to understand how busy the Showground is, and as much as they look after us with the speedway, it’s a business to them and they have major events there.

“As soon as we were informed of the change we’ve gone live with it, and when you don’t own your own stadium and don’t have control of what happens, this is what you have to live with. 

“I can only apologise again, it’s something we are disappointed about as well, but it is outside our control and now is the time to rally round and support the meeting.

“We have to remember what the meeting is for. It’s the Benevolent Fund meeting, and every penny from it goes to injured riders.

“The club, or any individual at the club, doesn’t get anything from it, so it’s a lot of hard work from my team at the stadium, and also a massive amount of time and effort has gone in from Paul (Ackroyd) and his staff in putting the field together that we have.

“We know it could inconvenience people for a few hours, but we beg them to still support it, because it’s for the riders. We still have to get behind it and make it the best possible event, and raise the most money possible.”

Rathbone has confirmed the intention will be to run a rapid meeting with the main event expected to take place within a two-hour window from the 6.30pm start.

He said: “Aside from any unforeseen incidents, there won’t be any meaningful breaks once the meeting starts.

“We have SCB members there who will work with us in the pits, as we’ve done with the Fours, and when one race is on-track the riders for the next will be ready, so we will move on with it.

“With a 6.30pm start we are realistically hoping to get the racing finished by 8.30pm, so people will hopefully be able to get underway for home by 9pm.

“So even if people are travelling a distance and live two or three hours away, we want them to be home by midnight – and I can assure them that I’ll be the last one out of the stadium, I’ll lock the doors and then I have a three hour drive home myself!

“I can only stress from both myself and Paul that so much work and effort has gone into this, with putting together the field we have done, and we really want people to support it.

“I do understand there’s going to be criticism, but there has to be a limit to that. We still want this to be a special meeting, and now it’s time to get behind it.” 

Event organisers also politely remind supporters that if the change of start-time does mean they cannot attend, they can still support the Fund by making a donation at www.srbf.co.uk .
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

PETERBOROUGH co-promoter Ged Rathbone has moved to clarify the circumstances behind the start-time change for the Ben Fund Bonanza later this month.

The club have been forced to switch the meeting at the East of England Arena to a 6.30pm start on Sunday March 18, rather than the initially planned 2pm.

And Rathbone has urged supporters to still get behind the event, which has attracted a high-class field, with all proceeds going directly to the Fund to benefit injured riders.

He said: “We do understand people had made arrangements for a 2pm start, which would have been absolutely fine, and the change disappoints us just as much as the supporters.

“The simple reason is that there is another event going on at the Showground, and due to the size of crowd that is expected for the speedway, it can’t run alongside that other event, so we’ve been asked to move.

“The only realistic option we had was to put the start-time back, and we were actually asked to move it to 7.30pm, but we’ve been able to negotiate the time that we have. The only other option really would have been to cancel the meeting.

“We’re just as gutted from our own point of view as a lot of organisation has already gone into it, and we had a great many things planned for the day which are now going to have to be shelved.

“But we do have to understand how busy the Showground is, and as much as they look after us with the speedway, it’s a business to them and they have major events there.

“As soon as we were informed of the change we’ve gone live with it, and when you don’t own your own stadium and don’t have control of what happens, this is what you have to live with. 

“I can only apologise again, it’s something we are disappointed about as well, but it is outside our control and now is the time to rally round and support the meeting.

“We have to remember what the meeting is for. It’s the Benevolent Fund meeting, and every penny from it goes to injured riders.

“The club, or any individual at the club, doesn’t get anything from it, so it’s a lot of hard work from my team at the stadium, and also a massive amount of time and effort has gone in from Paul (Ackroyd) and his staff in putting the field together that we have.

“We know it could inconvenience people for a few hours, but we beg them to still support it, because it’s for the riders. We still have to get behind it and make it the best possible event, and raise the most money possible.”

Rathbone has confirmed the intention will be to run a rapid meeting with the main event expected to take place within a two-hour window from the 6.30pm start.

He said: “Aside from any unforeseen incidents, there won’t be any meaningful breaks once the meeting starts.

“We have SCB members there who will work with us in the pits, as we’ve done with the Fours, and when one race is on-track the riders for the next will be ready, so we will move on with it.

“With a 6.30pm start we are realistically hoping to get the racing finished by 8.30pm, so people will hopefully be able to get underway for home by 9pm.

“So even if people are travelling a distance and live two or three hours away, we want them to be home by midnight – and I can assure them that I’ll be the last one out of the stadium, I’ll lock the doors and then I have a three hour drive home myself!

“I can only stress from both myself and Paul that so much work and effort has gone into this, with putting together the field we have done, and we really want people to support it.

“I do understand there’s going to be criticism, but there has to be a limit to that. We still want this to be a special meeting, and now it’s time to get behind it.” 

Event organisers also politely remind supporters that if the change of start-time does mean they cannot attend, they can still support the Fund by making a donation at www.srbf.co.uk .
 

Am I reading this right - you are telling us is that the showground have made the decision because they are worried too many people will attend? How very charitable of them! I thought the idea of any charity event was to get as many people to attend as possible?

Ged's been going on about beating the attendance at Rye House since it was announced, wanting 5000+. Seems no one told the showground until now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

PETERBOROUGH co-promoter Ged Rathbone has moved to clarify the circumstances behind the start-time change for the Ben Fund Bonanza later this month.

The club have been forced to switch the meeting at the East of England Arena to a 6.30pm start on Sunday March 18, rather than the initially planned 2pm.

And Rathbone has urged supporters to still get behind the event, which has attracted a high-class field, with all proceeds going directly to the Fund to benefit injured riders.

He said: “We do understand people had made arrangements for a 2pm start, which would have been absolutely fine, and the change disappoints us just as much as the supporters.

“The simple reason is that there is another event going on at the Showground, and due to the size of crowd that is expected for the speedway, it can’t run alongside that other event, so we’ve been asked to move.

“The only realistic option we had was to put the start-time back, and we were actually asked to move it to 7.30pm, but we’ve been able to negotiate the time that we have. The only other option really would have been to cancel the meeting.

“We’re just as gutted from our own point of view as a lot of organisation has already gone into it, and we had a great many things planned for the day which are now going to have to be shelved.

“But we do have to understand how busy the Showground is, and as much as they look after us with the speedway, it’s a business to them and they have major events there.

“As soon as we were informed of the change we’ve gone live with it, and when you don’t own your own stadium and don’t have control of what happens, this is what you have to live with. 

“I can only apologise again, it’s something we are disappointed about as well, but it is outside our control and now is the time to rally round and support the meeting.

“We have to remember what the meeting is for. It’s the Benevolent Fund meeting, and every penny from it goes to injured riders.

“The club, or any individual at the club, doesn’t get anything from it, so it’s a lot of hard work from my team at the stadium, and also a massive amount of time and effort has gone in from Paul (Ackroyd) and his staff in putting the field together that we have.

“We know it could inconvenience people for a few hours, but we beg them to still support it, because it’s for the riders. We still have to get behind it and make it the best possible event, and raise the most money possible.”

Rathbone has confirmed the intention will be to run a rapid meeting with the main event expected to take place within a two-hour window from the 6.30pm start.

He said: “Aside from any unforeseen incidents, there won’t be any meaningful breaks once the meeting starts.

“We have SCB members there who will work with us in the pits, as we’ve done with the Fours, and when one race is on-track the riders for the next will be ready, so we will move on with it.

“With a 6.30pm start we are realistically hoping to get the racing finished by 8.30pm, so people will hopefully be able to get underway for home by 9pm.

“So even if people are travelling a distance and live two or three hours away, we want them to be home by midnight – and I can assure them that I’ll be the last one out of the stadium, I’ll lock the doors and then I have a three hour drive home myself!

“I can only stress from both myself and Paul that so much work and effort has gone into this, with putting together the field we have done, and we really want people to support it.

“I do understand there’s going to be criticism, but there has to be a limit to that. We still want this to be a special meeting, and now it’s time to get behind it.” 

Event organisers also politely remind supporters that if the change of start-time does mean they cannot attend, they can still support the Fund by making a donation at www.srbf.co.uk .
 

No, there is no limit to the level of criticism this situation deserves.  Clearly Peterborough are incapable of hosting an event like this.  The change of time is unforgivable, unprofessional and unacceptable.  I was travelling in a car of 5 on a 5 hour journey to this event with an aim of being home with drop offs by Midnight.  We are now not travelling but will support the SRBF.  We will obviously not benefit from seeing one of the best line ups put together for this event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roguetrader said:

No, there is no limit to the level of criticism this situation deserves.  Clearly Peterborough are incapable of hosting an event like this.  The change of time is unforgivable, unprofessional and unacceptable.  I was travelling in a car of 5 on a 5 hour journey to this event with an aim of being home with drop offs by Midnight.  We are now not travelling but will support the SRBF.  We will obviously not benefit from seeing one of the best line ups put together for this event.

Whilst your situation invokes sympathy again like many others you have no idea   or understanding of the relationship between EOES and Speedway

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes but surely there should be communication between the two, we had a car load going but everyone's not so bothered now

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Whilst your situation invokes sympathy again like many others you have no idea   or understanding of the relationship between EOES and Speedway

I take it from this post that you do have an understanding which is fine.  However, it is quite irrelevant to me and quite clearly the event should never have been given to Peterborough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bruno said:

Yes but surely there should be communication between the two, we had a car load going but everyone's not so bothered now

 

Yes there is, EOES  say the start has to be delayed as Speedway inconveniences another event put up or shut up. I am pissed off and only have an hours drive. Believe me when I say the situation is in no way the making of Peterborough Speedway. EOES did this at least twice last year on one occasion on  the day of the event.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Whilst your situation invokes sympathy again like many others you have no idea   or understanding of the relationship between EOES and Speedway

I must admit that I'm struggling Rodders although I should know better. The news item doesn't really clarify the situation with any clarity. It's better than nothing to be fair and sufficiently worded so as not to upset the landlords. I'd like to know what has suddenly sprung up that wasn't known about beforehand? It's a bit irritating that we give them credit for being a business but they no longer seem to respect that so is Peterborough Speedway which is more important for the city than most of what they put on.

Good to read this: " Rathbone has confirmed the intention will be to run a rapid meeting with the main event expected to take place within a two-hour window from the 6.30pm start. He said: “Aside from any unforeseen incidents, there won’t be any meaningful breaks once the meeting starts."

That should be the standard for all meetings anyway IMO.

Edited by Crump99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

Whilst your situation invokes sympathy again like many others you have no idea   or understanding of the relationship between EOES and Speedway

The relationship between The EOES and Speedway is completely irrelevant to most supporters. The confirmed 2pm kick off, with this line up, would have seen the biggest Ben Fund attendance for years. If the venue date and time wasn’t guaranteed and now a driving school takes precedence over an essential fund raiser - it should never have been awarded. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

I must admit that I'm struggling Rodders although I should know better. The news item doesn't really clarify the situation with any clarity. It's better than nothing to be fair and sufficiently worded so as not to upset the landlords. I'd like to know what has suddenly sprung up that wasn't known about beforehand? It's a bit irritating that we give them credit for being a business but they no longer seem to respect that so is Peterborough Speedway which is more important for the city than most of what they put on.

Good to read this: " Rathbone has confirmed the intention will be to run a rapid meeting with the main event expected to take place within a two-hour window from the 6.30pm start. He said: “Aside from any unforeseen incidents, there won’t be any meaningful breaks once the meeting starts."

That should be the standard for all meetings anyway IMO.

Ged is being very cagey about this and even an e mail to the club produces only an equivocal response. You know and I know this is entirely down to EOES but as has been said before such is the tenuous relationship with the landlord that direct criticism is not an option. With the BSPA baying for blood Ged needed this like a hole in the head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

The relationship between The EOES and Speedway is completely irrelevant to most supporters. The confirmed 2pm kick off, with this line up, would have seen the biggest Ben Fund attendance for years. If the venue date and time wasn’t guaranteed and now a driving school takes precedence over an essential fund raiser - it should never have been awarded. 

I am sure you are right, however you must know as well as anybody that this situation is not down to Peterborough Speedway. Possibly it was naïve to think EOES would not put their oar in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Ged is being very cagey about this and even an e mail to the club produces only an equivocal response. You know and I know this is entirely down to EOES but as has been said before such is the tenuous relationship with the landlord that direct criticism is not an option. With the BSPA baying for blood Ged needed this like a hole in the head.

With the shrinking showground and lack of access routes things only seem to get worse though. That's the way it is, is wearing a bit thin don't you think. Yes they now load the EoES with more guff than ever but they don't seem to make it easy for us in the slightest despite apparently wanting us there for whatever reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So when was the young driver thing set up?  Surely it was always going to last into the afternoon?  Did the showground think they could have both events running alongside each other? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor planning on somebodys part am soz but i wont be coming from workington as its to late back first one have  missed in 3 yrs .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy