British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

Read lots of comments on social media about Scott & Ed being unable to double up but I haven't actually seen the rule it refers to. Can anyone tell me exactly what it says please?

Star Lady, on 08 Dec 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

Read lots of comments on social media about Scott & Ed being unable to double up but I haven't actually seen the rule it refers to. Can anyone tell me exactly what it says please?

You don't actually think they write the rules down do you ? Our sport has been run for many seasons now by the Back Scratchers Rules .. If we let you do this , we will allow you to do that ! ................Some Promoters just have to hope they done upset anyone & get refused !

• Like 3

You don't actually think they write the rules down do you ? Our sport has been run for many seasons now by the Back Scratchers Rules .. If we let you do this , we will allow you to do that ! ................Some Promoters just have to hope they done upset anyone & get refused !

If it is not written down, when they realise the rule is a complete co#k up and not thought through properly they can deny it existed.

• Like 2

It's ridiculous allowing the likes of Cook (GP rider-British Champion-World Cup rider et)c to ride in Division 2 but not allow Scott Nicholls to do so also even though his average in Division 1 is lower that Cook's. Nick Morris is also allowed to ride in Division 2 who also has an average higher that Scott's. Scott Nicholls would be within his rights to consider taking this matter to a higher authority than The BSPA. Incidentally both Chris Harris & Rory Schlein averaged more than him also and they are allowed to continue to ride in Division 2.

Edited by Barrow Boy 2
  • Like 6

It's a decision which beggars belief, excluding two British riders who would enhance the second division and put bums on seats. Would love to hear the BSPA's reasoning.

• Like 6

It's basically the rule that's been in operation for years. Remember the Joe Screen average reducing furore, and 1 or 2 others? It used to be that a 1st division rider with an average of 8 or above couldn't drop down to the 2nd division. It was later reduced to 6 until this year when it was dropped to open the flood gates to doubling up. They've decided to bring it back for next season with the addition that it only applies to riders without a CL average from this season.

Edited by Alan Jones

It's a decision which beggars belief, excluding two British riders who would enhance the second division and put bums on seats. Would love to hear the BSPA's reasoning.

It's a perfectly good decision. The problem is they relaxed it last year so now, in order to bring it back, you get inequality.

They should never have allowed riders below 6 to drop down in the first place. Then everyone would know where they are and there would be no issue.

Now we have riders like Harris free to ride in the lower tier whereas Nicholls isn't. Harris should never have been allowed there in the first place.

I'm not sure riders like Nick Morris should still be in the lower tier either.

• Like 5

I think that riders of that ilk enhance the second division personally. But as you say it's silly to just exclude two riders, British ones at that.

Morris puzzles me a bit as you'd have thought he would want to be riding regularly in Europe to speed up his development and regular Championship speedway doesn't lend itself to that. But riders like Harris, Nicholls, Kennett etc are past their best and as Brits should be able to double up if they so wish.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 4

Why Nichols and Kennet, but not Morris who coincidentally has a higher average in the Prem than both Nichols and Kennet

• Like 1

Why Nichols and Kennet, but not Morris who coincidentally has a higher average in the Prem than both Nichols and Kennet

Because he's got an average from this year and they haven't.

• Like 1

It's a rule that didn't need to be made as only two riders are affected by it. This is the BSPA shooting itself in the foot, again.

• Like 3

Arbitrary.

If Nicholls’ PL average converts to less than 12 for the CL, what’s the problem? Common sense tells there’s no difference between Harris and Nicholls.

They should've doubled up last season to get the CL ave.

but, apart from that,,, why was Nicholls allowed to guest (as an illegal rider),,, all those results should be overturned.

• Like 1

They should've doubled up last season to get the CL ave.

but, apart from that,,, why was Nicholls allowed to guest (as an illegal rider),,, all those results should be overturned.

...because it was illogical not illegal until now.

I thought the bspa was looking at the rule again on Tuesday of this week seen it in the speedway star yesterday if changed more riders would be able to double up including Hans andersen and max fricke not sure how it works though

• Like 1