British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

...because it was illogical not illegal until now.

illogical is commonplace, its speedway.

If Max Fricke and Hans Andersen double up there would be little or no difference between the leagues ( not that there is now - except for when the Sheffield V Leicester result was rigged ). No need for one Big League as there will be two cloned ones in 2018. And no doubt if any Superstars are somehow attracted back, they will be give permission to double up as & when necessary ( cup ties etc ). All very It's a Knockout. In the best possible taste of course.

I thought the bspa was looking at the rule again on Tuesday of this week seen it in the speedway star yesterday if changed more riders would be able to double up including Hans andersen and max fricke not sure how it works though

rayc, you are correct. The lead article in the SS says that 'after several protests from clubs' the MC is to recommend that the rule be squashed - but it may need a vote from all clubs, which presumably means it may take a while to achieve and announce (what with modern media and communication being what it is??!!!!!! :wink::wink: ). Apparently Lakeside approached both Nicholls and Kennett but were informed they couldn't be signed!! Lakeside knew nothing about the 'ruling'!!

This is presumably one of those 'rules' that the MC cannot overturn at the drop of a hat - unlike so many others 'in the best interest of speedway!!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I won't say clarification cos it still seems as clear as mud to me.

It's ridiculous when two loyal BRITISH riders are denied the chance to earnr money in their own country but every Johnny Foreigner and his brother can do so.

What a load of crap!!!

Exactly! Doubling up should be for Brits only.

• Like 6

In an ideal world, I would simply scrap the 'doubling up' rule except for British riders under 21, but to do so it needs a larger rider pool than exists at the moment.

To avoid the Kennett and Nicholls scenario, it would make more sense in the short-term to allow British riders to double up, but riders from other countries to be barred from doing so.

• Like 2

I would accept that those riders from the commonwealth should be able to double up, we will rely on our commonwealth brothers once brexit is complete

Should still allow a good pool but we desperately need more young riders coming through which is why I was so disappointed that the championship team building averages were not set at 38

I would accept that those riders from the commonwealth should be able to double up, we will rely on our commonwealth brothers once brexit is complete

Should still allow a good pool but we desperately need more young riders coming through which is why I was so disappointed that the championship team building averages were not set at 38

Why will Brexit change things, at worst, European riders might need a visa or work permit, they wont be banned.

• Like 1

In an ideal world, I would simply scrap the 'doubling up' rule except for British riders under 21, but to do so it needs a larger rider pool than exists at the moment.

To avoid the Kennett and Nicholls scenario, it would make more sense in the short-term to allow British riders to double up, but riders from other countries to be barred from doing so.

I'd probably go with allow any riders to double up/down if Britain is the only country they ride in. This would protect riders like Doolan etc. who are loyal to British speedway but don't ride in foreign leagues. British riders could ride in both leagues if they wish even if they take part in foreign leagues.

• Like 1

Yet another rule that beggars belief. I sure they make these rules up just to P**s people off. This rule does nothing to enhance our sport or reputation...

No doubt a few promoters got together over a session of back scratching and came up with a stupid rule that would benefit their team......

You couldn't make this up........

• Like 2

British League

Development League

No need for doubling up/down or "set nights"

Why will Brexit change things, at worst, European riders might need a visa or work permit, they wont be banned.

Once we have left the EU riders will have to have a visa which can be used to stop any overseas rider taking the place of a British rider if one is available. If not a visa will be issued

Once we have left the EU riders will have to have a visa which can be used to stop any overseas rider taking the place of a British rider if one is available. If not a visa will be issued

Is that what happens with Aussies at the moment then?

• Like 1

It's ridiculous allowing the likes of Cook (GP rider-British Champion-World Cup rider et)c to ride in Division 2 but not allow Scott Nicholls to do so also even though his average in Division 1 is lower that Cook's. Nick Morris is also allowed to ride in Division 2 who also has an average higher that Scott's. Scott Nicholls would be within his rights to consider taking this matter to a higher authority than The BSPA. Incidentally both Chris Harris & Rory Schlein averaged more than him also and they are allowed to continue to ride in Division 2.

Perhaps Scott Nicholls and Edward Kennett should take the matter up with the ACU.

Yet another rule that beggars belief. I sure they make these rules up just to P**s people off. This rule does nothing to enhance our sport or reputation...

No doubt a few promoters got together over a session of back scratching and came up with a stupid rule that would benefit their team......

You couldn't make this up........

It’s obviously the rule is in place to shaft the building plans of sone of the teams, it’s nothing new to be fair, they play this stupid game every year.

As Scott was allowed to be a guest last season, can he be a guest this season? If he can still be a guest, what is there to stop a Team using him for every one of their meetings.