British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

As Scott was allowed to be a guest last season, can he be a guest this season? If he can still be a guest, what is there to stop a Team using him for every one of their meetings.

He was allowed to guest last season because he was allowed to ride in the CL. If the rule eventually stands then he won't be able to.

Strange how its not affected James Shanes, who only rode SGBP for Poole in 2017 apart from (like Scotty) a few end-of-season guest bookings in the SGBC!!?

James has been allowed to sign for Sheffield - not sure yet if he will be doubling up/down or not?!  Must be an 'age' thing or the fact that the Sheffield promoter is now on the MC???!

Just now, Skidder1 said:

Strange how its not affected James Shanes, who only rode SGBP for Poole in 2017 apart from (like Scotty) a few end-of-season guest bookings in the SGBC!!?

James has been allowed to sign for Sheffield - not sure yet if he will be doubling up/down or not?!  Must be an 'age' thing or the fact that the Sheffield promoter is now on the MC???!

It only affects riders with a top flight average of 6 and over Skidder1. 

39 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

No, it's because it only applies to those with a PL average over 6.

i see in the speedy star this week   looking at the situation again which hopefully it allows  scot and eddie to double down

Edited by ray c

20 minutes ago, ray c said:

i see in the speedy star this week   looking at the situation again which hopefully it allows  scot and eddie to double down

A bit unfair on Lakeside if they do - as they were planning to use both!

25 minutes ago, ray c said:

I think Peterborough were after Scott.

4 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

A bit unfair on Lakeside if they do - as they were planning to use both!

Which then had a domino effect on Sheffield and Berwick it seems

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I think Peterborough were after Scott.

not just were....

• Like 1

On 15/12/2017 at 2:07 PM, Alan_Jones said:

No, it's because it only applies to those with a PL average over 6.

its something to do with average above a 6 in pl and didnt ride in championship to gain a average last year

harris can ride in both because he rode last year in championship

something like that anyway

BRITISH Speedway bosses have moved to clarify the decisions over two well documented issues.

Firstly, at a meeting of the British Speedway Promoters’ Association General Council, a review took place of the decision to prevent Premiership riders with an average of six or above also riding in the Championship.

This rule was introduced for those riders who didn’t double-up last season and was seen as the first step towards reducing doubling-up in the sport.

Unfortunately, and regrettably, Scott Nicholls and Edward Kennett – two fine servants of British Speedway – were caught up in this.

General Council members have now voted to keep the regulation in place in order to gain more control of the doubling-up situation and begin steps to reduce the prospect of Premiership and Championship clubs looking too similar.

Stupid decision by BSPA to uphold a rule that only affects 2 riders.  I totally get the reason for bringing in a rule of this nature in the first place as doubling up caused too many problems and supporters didnt like it but surely when many riders that are doubling up this year have higher averages than Nicholls and Kennett the only thing this rule appears to achieved is to discriminate against these two.  Nicholls and Kennett both ride for Rye alongside Chris Harris who I think has a higher average than both but he doubles up because he did last year.  If a new rule is brought in it should be the same for everyone 6 average or above no doubling up.   Does this mean riders with high averages at the end of the 2018 season and who doubled up can still double up in 2019 if so will riders who don't double up this year but want to in future try to keep their average low to enable them to.  At the end of the day who benefits - certainly not Speedway that's for sure - no wonder it' in decline.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Stupid decision by BSPA to uphold a rule that only affects 2 riders.  I totally get the reason for bringing in a rule of this nature in the first place as doubling up caused too many problems and supporters didnt like it but surely when many riders that are doubling up this year have higher averages than Nicholls and Kennett the only thing this rule appears to achieved is to discriminate against these two.  Nicholls and Kennett both ride for Rye alongside Chris Harris who I think has a higher average than both but he doubles up because he did last year.  If a new rule is brought in it should be the same for everyone 6 average or above no doubling up.   Does this mean riders with high averages at the end of the 2018 season and who doubled up can still double up in 2019 if so will riders who don't double up this year but want to in future try to keep their average low to enable them to.  At the end of the day who benefits - certainly not Speedway that's for sure - no wonder it' in decline.

I thought it actually affected more, what about Tungate etc? The two names were prominent because they are British and this is supposed to be British Speedway (although you wouldn't think so looking at some of the Championship line-ups).

Just playing devils advocate but does the current ruling prohibit Kennett / Nicholls or any other affected withdrawing from their Premiership sides & signing for a Championship side at the start of the season thus attaining a Championship average and then picking up a Premiership place as the season goes along?

Obviously morally there are issues but would anything in the rules prevent it? 

• Like 1