British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

7 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I thought it actually affected more, what about Tungate etc? The two names were prominent because they are British and this is supposed to be British Speedway (although you wouldn't think so looking at some of the Championship line-ups).

I quite agree with you, your point makes it even more discriminatory against Nicholls and Kennett.  Also this year you have Craig Cook riding for Premiership, Championship and he's a GP rider the rules should be the same for all (I have nothing against Cookie just using it as an example).  To get even sillier when all the British riders doubling up get their new averages after a month will those who are doubling down to Championship but their Premiership averages increase to above 6 lose their Championship place - of course they won't.  If I was Nicholls and Kennett I'd be furious at this discrimination let's hope they don't decide to retire Rye House will be in dire straights then as their 7th rider has yet to be named (KK?)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Just playing devils advocate but does the current ruling prohibit Kennett / Nicholls or any other affected withdrawing from their Premiership sides & signing for a Championship side at the start of the season thus attaining a Championship average and then picking up a Premiership place as the season goes along?

Obviously morally there are issues but would anything in the rules prevent it? 

Interesting point Sings4Speedway I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

Stupid ruling by BSPA - if this rule is still in place for 2019 ( and this should be clarified now ) Nichols and Kennett will need to keep their averages below 6 this season to enable them to double up in 2019. Riders can not afford to ride just one UK league if only doing UK. Scotty is at the end of his career, I wonder if he may call it a day if this ruling is not overturned. This would be a big thank you from the BSPA to the multi British Champion. What a terrible way to bow out. But British speedway is hell bent on burying itself. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DWP said:

Stupid ruling by BSPA - if this rule is still in place for 2019 ( and this should be clarified now ) Nichols and Kennett will need to keep their averages below 6 this season to enable them to double up in 2019. Riders can not afford to ride just one UK league if only doing UK. Scotty is at the end of his career, I wonder if he may call it a day if this ruling is not overturned. This would be a big thank you from the BSPA to the multi British Champion. What a terrible way to bow out. But British speedway is hell bent on burying itself. 

And if they keep their averages down (could we blame them) the whole team suffers as well as the fans, the promoters, their sponsors and then another nail in the speedway coffin.

• Like 1

If they keep there averages down just until the first lot come out can they then join a CL team?

56 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

I quite agree with you, your point makes it even more discriminatory against Nicholls and Kennett.  Also this year you have Craig Cook riding for Premiership, Championship and he's a GP rider the rules should be the same for all (I have nothing against Cookie just using it as an example).  To get even sillier when all the British riders doubling up get their new averages after a month will those who are doubling down to Championship but their Premiership averages increase to above 6 lose their Championship place - of course they won't.  If I was Nicholls and Kennett I'd be furious at this discrimination let's hope they don't decide to retire Rye House will be in dire straights then as their 7th rider has yet to be named (KK?)

Who is Craig Cook riding for in  the BCL. His name does not appear in any of the teams yet.

55 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Cook isn't riding in the Championship in 2018.

Newcastle will now have difficulty getting a no 1 as will Peterborough.

BSPA....swallow  your pride if you have any...change the decision

Edited by Gunner85
  • Like 2

The rule will be changed next winter no doubt. The overall feeling on here and social media is that the ruling is unfair, what do the BSPA gain by not letting these people earn a living?

It just puts further distance between the fans and the men that are destroying speedway. Scott is pushing 40 and can pass on vital experience to the riders in his team, nothing at all makes sense from this and I hope all effected take it as far as they can. Rules for rules it seems.

Rule 15.3.2.1.1.1.3  BRITISH SPEEDWAY !! GET A EFFING GRIP...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aces High said:

Cook isn't riding in the Championship in 2018.

But he could if he wanted to.

• Thanks 1

We are still going through a transition period because of the racing format in the old EL which gave averages out of proportion to their abilities, where team leaders rode against fellow team leaders numerous times giving them a lower than normal average. Similarly, but to the other extreme, reserves rode against fellow reserves & had inflated averages, almost at team leader levels. Some riders gained from their lower than normal average enabling them to be offered a place in the CL in 2017. Limits have to be set as applied in the rule where if you have an average over 4 in the CL, you are not allowed to ride in the NL. This rule is obvious in Bewley's case but has stopped Williamson who, at the moment, is only riding in 1 league.

There has been some strange rule changes this year, whether good or bad, that have been discussed on this forum.

One rider over 8 in the Premiership was, in my mind, strange as I thought the intention was to bring over the better riders. 

Having fixed race nights should minimize the amount of guests used when riders who double up clash. This should not be evident early season but wait while later when the Premiership have rain offs & need to squeeze meetings in. The Championship have plenty of spare days as they will only be racing at home 14 - 18 times.

Why was the rule dropped where teams must have at least 2 British developed riders. This has allowed more Europeans to come in on lower assessed averages meaning more British riders not getting team spots, again.

The new starting procedures???????????????? We know there are going to be changes to minimize re-runs where rolling will be allowed.

Solution to doubling up.  2 leagues only,  a junior league/national league with their best riders allowed to progress to the higher league reserve positions.  Put all the premiership and championship teams in the same league,  the fans would then have their team/riders to support, more local derbys which usually generate bigger crowds, proper knock out cup competition ie put all the teams names in a hat and draw them out so that they don't get the same first round team year after year.  While I'm putting speedway to rights how about the British Final on at the  weekend so that more fans can attend - still dreaming I'll wake up in a minute !!

23 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Newcastle will now have difficulty getting a no 1 as will Peterborough.

BSPA....swallow  your pride if you have any...change the decision

I have posted, previously, about this but I stand by the decision where all teams have put their teams together using the current rules. IF they change the decision, it should apply only when team changes are available later in the season. Other teams could have chosen any available rider if the rule was still in place from 2017 & we know Lakeside were told that they could not use Nichols and/or Kennett & that is why they went for Lawson & Morris.

Regarding the number of riders doubling up, at the declaration stage in 2017, there were about 28 riders doing 2 leagues. With places still to be filled, we are about 22 for 2018.