British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Just playing devils advocate but does the current ruling prohibit Kennett / Nicholls or any other affected withdrawing from their Premiership sides & signing for a Championship side at the start of the season thus attaining a Championship average and then picking up a Premiership place as the season goes along?

Obviously morally there are issues but would anything in the rules prevent it? 

If they withdraw from the PL they still have a PL average over 6 so wouldn't be allowed to join a CL team.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TYPICAL of the BSPA not to think through the consequences of a decision or new rule. Had they done so and realised that two British riders who have given long, loyal and distinguished service were going to be caught in the net they should at least have deferred it for a year.

It was suspending the long standing rule for last season that has caused the issue. If they were really serious about doubling up, as the recent statement says, they'd reinstate the original rule fully and apply it to all riders with a 6+ PL average.

• Like 1

The right decision has been made (almost). Things need to be done for the good of the sport as a whole, not to appease a couple of riders and/or promoters. 

For this year any rider with a Premiership average of over six should not have been allowed to double up/down with doubling up between the top two divisions scrapped from next year. 

People are quick to tell you there aren't enough riders to go around. There are.

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 1

Scott Nicholls  just made a short statement re decision on his twitter account makes interesting reading - would have copied and pasted it here but not sure if that's allowed 

42 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

For this year any rider with a Premiership average of over six should not have been allowed to double up/down with doubling up between the top two divisions scrapped from next year. 

But that's not what they did is it? Two of Britain's best supported and longest serving riders have effectively been singled out. Another case of unintended consequences i.e. rules that have not been thought through.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Scott Nicholls  just made a short statement re decision on his twitter account makes interesting reading - would have copied and pasted it here but not sure if that's allowed 

I'm not so shy....

Scott says:

Thank you @SpeedwayGB ,I’m honoured to have made an “Outstanding contribution to British Speedway” & to be a “fine servant to British Speedway” for over 20 years. Great of you to now restrict me from earn a living. I will be releasing a statement soon, this is not the end of it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

But that's not what they did is it? Two of Britain's best supported and longest serving riders have effectively been singled out. Another case of unintended consequences i.e. rules that have not been thought through.

No, it isn't what they have done. It is what I said they should have done. 

Fine servants or not, nobody is bigger than the sport. 

1 minute ago, Ben91 said:

No, it isn't what they have done. It is what I said they should have done. 

Fine servants or not, nobody is bigger than the sport. 

True.

But your suggestion made sense and was fair and equitable. What's actually been enacted is patently unfair.

No credibility to the BSPA statement at all.

How can they have allowed the like of Bomber and even Cook (who could have continued to double up if he wanted to) when both have a higher top flight average than Scott and Eddie?

Doesn't the B in the BSPA stand for British??? Look after your own first. 

Got it wrong yet again. :mad:

• Like 6

the championship is too strong. The 2nd tier should never have got any stronger than half the top league. Once this happened it upset the balance. the idea of signing a top league 6 point rider on a 12 point average is a lot less appealing. So the issue wouldn't exist. The only way of making that happen would be to convert all averages to pl ones and build the championship to 21.25. Its unpopular with fans of that league but it would give more British nl riders a chance of a step up. Especially if they joined the league on a 1 point average. It's ok for riders to get jobs outside of speedway if it doesn't pay 

Edited by Danny Connor

Even if the  BSPA done 'Common Sense '  because of the numbers involved,  Premiership clubs are of secondary importance.    Our sport is now ruled by the Second division and they wont  imply any rules that are detriment to their operation.       What a Joke......:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was it because Peterborough are involved it may something to do with it? No love lost I feel, sure would have boosted attendances and I thought speedway was about the supporters.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Coventry_Bee said:

Was it because Peterborough are involved it may something to do with it? No love lost I feel, sure would have boosted attendances and I thought speedway was about the supporters.

I dont think Peterboroughs involvement has anything to do with it. They didnt get involved until many weeks after the original scenario unfolded....

This does seem daft if it does only affect a couple of riders.  The one thing these riders can bring to the clubs is the knowledge, experience and set up information for the new riders to the Championship.  This rule may affect all Premier riders in the future but for now let them ride.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

This does seem daft if it does only affect a couple of riders.  The one thing these riders can bring to the clubs is the knowledge, experience and set up information for the new riders to the Championship.  This rule may affect all Premier riders in the future but for now let them ride.  

If it's true, that Cook and Bomber could of rode in the championship and Scotty /Eddie can't, then it's a shambles at best.The rules should apply equal to every rider/team throughout..

7 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

If it's true, that Cook and Bomber could of rode in the championship and Scotty /Eddie can't, then it's a shambles at best.The rules should apply equal to every rider/team throughout..

It is bomber riding rye house and glasgow