British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

When a promoter becomes unpopular with the management group, any opportunity is taken to slap him down. Nicholls is being used and now there is a potentially explosive situation. It would be in the best interests of all, if this decision be reversed otherwise it will grow into a real storm the sport can do without. Any reasonable person would admit that the introduction of this new rule should have been properly planned, meaning from the 2019 season and more equitable in it's scope allowing ALL riders and clubs involved to make decisions. Instead it's been done as a kneejerk reaction, and rushed in for the wrong reasons.

6 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

When a promoter becomes unpopular with the management group, any opportunity is taken to slap him down. Nicholls is being used and now there is a potentially explosive situation. It would be in the best interests of all, if this decision be reversed otherwise it will grow into a real storm the sport can do without. Any reasonable person would admit that the introduction of this new rule should have been properly planned, meaning from the 2019 season and more equitable in it's scope allowing ALL riders and clubs involved to make decisions. Instead it's been done as a kneejerk reaction, and rushed in for the wrong reasons.

No it wouldn't. You can't change the rules AFTER most teams have completed their teambuilding. I agree that these kind of rules should be agreed in advance, so it would be interesting to know the timeline of when this rule change was proposed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Any reasonable person would admit that the introduction of this new rule should have been properly planned, meaning from the 2019 season and more equitable in it's scope allowing ALL riders and clubs involved to make decisions. Instead it's been done as a kneejerk reaction, and rushed in for the wrong reasons.

It's not a new rule, it's the reintroduction of a long standing rule. The mistake was in removing it for last season which only added to the disasterous level of doubling up. According to the BSPA statement it was reintroduced to regain a measure of control, but if that was the case then it should have reverted to it's original intent of blocking all riders over 6, with or without a CL average.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Yes I agree probably to get back at them for the Jack Holder saga as I think they were after using Scott.

The decision now may be ' because its Peterborough'

However originally Scott had an offer at Lakeside which was blocked

He also had contact from another Championship club which he declined

If the MC had decided to reintroduce the over 6 rule (removed in 2017) then Im puzzled as to why that other club spoke to him

Perhaps it was only after that refusal the goalposts were moved......

Allowing Morris to double up is the joke of the season I’m afraid.

5 minutes ago, GWC said:

Quite agree I assume Cook could have doubled up too if he wanted to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattK said:

No it wouldn't. You can't change the rules AFTER most teams have completed their teambuilding. I agree that these kind of rules should be agreed in advance, so it would be interesting to know the timeline of when this rule change was proposed.

Well I think they could of changed the rule as it only affected a couple of riders, can't see why not. If Morris can double up anyone should be able to.

8 minutes ago, GWC said:

Ditto Harris. 

All this hoohaa about Scott,  whereas Edward seems to be keeping a very low profile!!:unsure:

rules should be consistent, either ALL riders with a PL average over 6 not allowed to ride CL, or allow them all.

the idea of not wanting the league strengths so similar is a cop out when they make the 8pt ruling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Well I think they could of changed the rule as it only affected a couple of riders, can't see why not. If Morris can double up anyone should be able to.

But it would have affected every team in the league when they were racing against a team with Nicholls and Kennett in it.

Morris is quite entitled to double up as he rode in the Championship last season so qualified for a true average.

I applaud the BSPA for sticking to their rules, yes there will be winners and losers but you can`t change to rules governing team building halfway especially after many teams are complete having been assembled under the rules.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alan_Jones said:

It's not a new rule, it's the reintroduction of a long standing rule. The mistake was in removing it for last season which only added to the disasterous level of doubling up. According to the BSPA statement it was reintroduced to regain a measure of control, but if that was the case then it should have reverted to it's original intent of blocking all riders over 6, with or without a CL average.

agree,but that would have been too sensible for them.!

3 hours ago, GWC said:

Why single Morris out?  He rode in the CL last season so is allowed to ride.  I agree that ALL riders with a PL average of a particular value shouldn't be allowed to double-up (currently 6 I believe) and not just those that didn't ride CL last year but I think it is unfair to single out individual riders.

3 hours ago, Badge said:

All this hoohaa about Scott,  whereas Edward seems to be keeping a very low profile!!:unsure:

Edwardkennett Retweeted

To say I’m shocked,totally confused & very disappointed by @SpeedwayGB rule change that has stopped me & Ed from doubling up is an understatement!Speedway is my passion but also my income! I have asked for an amendment to be made so I am hoping this takes place.