British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star Lady

Nichols/kennett Rule

I can't see the issue with British riders riding in both leagues in their own country.  Other countries do it. It's called looking after your own.

Couldn't care less if the French or other nationalities can't double up as well. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I can't see the issue with British riders riding in both leagues in their own country.  Other countries do it. It's called looking after your own.

Couldn't care less if the French or other nationalities can't double up as well. 

But thats illegal. TBH I'm with you. But I'm also appalled that class riders are allowed to ride in the Championship. The monkeys in charge should have simply banned anyone with an average over 6 from being able to drop down or double up. In stead we have this (illegal) mess now.

16 minutes ago, SCB said:

The monkeys in charge should have simply banned anyone with an average over 6 from being able to drop down or double up. In stead we have this (illegal) mess now.

Couldn't agree more with this, but opening the doors last season has led to this situation.

Re Bellego, I am sure if he took legal action the rule would be dropped, seems the BSPA don't learn, but no surprise there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCB said:

But thats illegal. TBH I'm with you. But I'm also appalled that class riders are allowed to ride in the Championship. The monkeys in charge should have simply banned anyone with an average over 6 from being able to drop down or double up. In stead we have this (illegal) mess now.

It's only an illegal mess because it's what the BSPA do oh too well.

Given how few riders there are to go around these days I fail to see any issue with ANY British rider being allowed to ride both leagues if they want to.  It's not and can't be illegal as all other European nations do exactly that. 

The ruling seemed to work fine before until last season when they changed the goalposts and then moved them back straight away. That was the worst possible move to make. Reward some,  then penalise others. And I'm not surprised either in all honesty. 

Make it easier for your BRITISH riders,  rules can apply to other nationalities.  Seems fair enough to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Make it easier for your BRITISH riders,  rules can apply to other nationalities.  Seems fair enough to me.

But that is ILLEGAL. You cannot discriminate on the basis of nationality.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

You don't have to discriminate, just have a gentleman's agreement that you won't ask a 'foreign' rider to double up/down.

But then again we all know what happened to the old 2nd Division gentleman's agreement regarding foreign riders...:(

Just now, Gambo said:

You don't have to discriminate, just have a gentleman's agreement that you won't ask a 'foreign' rider to double up/down.

But then again we all know what happened to the old 2nd Division gentleman's agreement regarding foreign riders...:(

The law states that you cannot discriminate on the basis of nationality. Therefore a rule which excludes certain nationalities while allowing others, is by definition illegal. You're right, a gentlemen's agreement could be thrashed out, but it would only take one disgruntled rider to challenge the ruling.

I'd imagine many of speedway's rules would fall foul of the law. This is why the authorities crumbled as soon as Nicholls consulted legal representation.

3 hours ago, MattK said:

So how do the other European leagues get around it?

3 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

So how do the other European leagues get around it?

I don't know the laws in those countries, but presumably unless a rider seeks legal representation those leagues will just continue until challenged.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

I don't know the laws in those countries, but presumably unless a rider seeks legal representation those leagues will just continue until challenged.

Don't we all fall under the EU rulings tho in Europe?

As far as I'm concerned the other leagues are doing the right thing. 

16 hours ago, SCB said:

You say that but riders want 2 leagues so badly they drop their averages to 6.... The Championship promoters want them too for obvious reasons.... The Premiership needs that TV deal so the riders earn more... 

4 hours ago, Trees said:

You say that but riders want 2 leagues so badly they drop their averages to 6.... The Championship promoters want them too for obvious reasons.... The Premiership needs that TV deal so the riders earn more... 

If they want to ride in the BCL so much then let them but they should not be allowed to ride in the BPL as well. 

17 hours ago, MattK said:

The law states that you cannot discriminate on the basis of nationality. Therefore a rule which excludes certain nationalities while allowing others, is by definition illegal. You're right, a gentlemen's agreement could be thrashed out, but it would only take one disgruntled rider to challenge the ruling.

I'd imagine many of speedway's rules would fall foul of the law. This is why the authorities crumbled as soon as Nicholls consulted legal representation.

Not actually true because the SCB were never going to allow the rule to stand and according to Mr Rising they told the BSPA this previously.  In my view if they wanted it done fairly then all riders with a PL average above 6 should have been prevented from riding CL, so that includes Morris, Harris, Worrall, Howarth and the others.  I'm happy they've decided to open the gates to British riders, it's British Speedway.  The Swedes and Poles do it, about time we grew  a pair.

Edited by SPEEDY69

1 minute ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not actually true because the SCB were never going to allow the rule to stand and according to Mr Rising they told the BSPA this previously.  In my view any if they wanted it done fairly then all riders with a PL average above 6 should have been prevented from riding CL, so that includes Morris, Harris, Worrall, Howarth and the others.  I'm happy they've decided to open the gates to British riders, it's British Speedway.  The Swedes and Poles do it, about time we grew  a pair.

They haven't opened the gates to British riders though. Their use of the term "home grown" is misleading if people think this means British.

The BSPA causing confusion? Surely not......