British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moomin man 76

Best Ever Finnish Rider

Kylmä was in the challenge twice and laukkanen 3 or 4 times. Niemi a 4 time finalist. Did not know Niemi did a 15 year career...

Kylmä was in the challenge twice and laukkanen 3 or 4 times. Niemi a 4 time finalist. Did not know Niemi did a 15 year career...

And Neil Collins had a 29 year career...

Cards on the table. Im English and have been a supporter of Exeter and Belle Vue with an affection for Edinburgh from my student days.

Neither Neimi or Kylmakorpi have ridden for any team I have any bias towards, not Teromaa for that matter. But I suppose I could declare an interest in Hautamaki, Ylinen and Laukennen.

So I am completely neutral on the best Finn - no feelings either way to Niemi or Kylmakorpi. You?

Kylmakorpi didn't appear until after I had left the UK, but I was around for Niemi's entire British career. I was there the first time he rode at Plough Lane in 1976 (in the second half) and I saw him on a regular basis except for 1990 and 1991. He was never a "world-beater" but could mix it with - and often beat - the best of them. As has been said, the BL was the world's strongest league back then, and he was a remarkably consistent performer, even at international level.

In view of iris123's breakdown, I will revise my original statement, and place Kylmakorpi above Teromaa. In addition to the figures provided, I think Joonas's durability gives him the edge. Teromaa was only around for a relatively short period, and was never the same after he left Leicester.

Steve

And Neil Collins had a 29 year career...

Cards on the table. Im English and have been a supporter of Exeter and Belle Vue with an affection for Edinburgh from my student days.

Neither Neimi or Kylmakorpi have ridden for any team I have any bias towards, not Teromaa for that matter. But I suppose I could declare an interest in Hautamaki, Ylinen and Laukennen.

So I am completely neutral on the best Finn - no feelings either way to Niemi or Kylmakorpi. You?

I dont have a UK team of my own, but I'm sticking with Niemi as the best Finnish rider ever. Also I can see Niemi riding in Finnish finals pretty regurarly between 75-90 with 9 titles, 1 Silver and 1 bronze. Where as I did not see Kylmä ride in Finnish championship at all after 2003. Dont know why Niemi did almost them all, but it's pretty safe to say it was about money that Kylmä did not.

My point with Niemi riding a 15 year career wasn't about it been super long, it was about it being longer than I had realised.

I'm kind of surprised myself, but I get no kicks out of this debate on the best Finn. :neutral: But I do hope that Timo Lahti makes enough of himself to be considered a part of a similar thread in 10 years time :t:

• Like 1

No real bias for me either.If anything I guess I should be towards Niemi as he rode for Wimbledon.But then again Joonas rode for my local team here,Brokstedt.So evens stevens

Kai Laukkanen

Kai Niemi for me!

Rode in the British League for 15 years from the mid 70's to early 90's when nearly all the Worlds top riders competed in it when it was the World toughest speedway League and for many of them years had averages of 6+.

Rode in a number of World Finals pre the GP years when you had to qualify on merit rather than wildcards. Also must be noted that Niemi had to get through the notoriously hard Nordic final then the Inter Continental final which often had a stronger line up than the final itself. At Bradford in 1985 he was in the top 6 scorers!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Kai Niemi for me!

Rode in the British League for 15 years from the mid 70's to early 90's when nearly all the Worlds top riders competed in it when it was the World toughest speedway League and for many of them years had averages of 6+.

Rode in a number of World Finals pre the GP years when you had to qualify on merit rather than wildcards. Also must be noted that Niemi had to get through the notoriously hard Nordic final then the Inter Continental final which often had a stronger line up than the final itself. At Bradford in 1985 he was in the top 6 scorers!

No doubt it has to be Kai.

I saw his debut for White City (against Wolves) in 1976 and it became quickly obvious he was going to be a classy rider. As a 'Rebel' regular I saw him develop as a rider and continued to watch him when he joined Eastbourne after the closure of White City.

Ila Teromaa was another class act (now sadly no longer with us) but his move to Cradley seemed to diminish his 'star' quality.