British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moomin man 76

Best Ever Finnish Rider

As I couldn't see an existing thread, I thought I would begin one, to allow anyone to discuss the merits of Finnish riders over the years.

Due consideration can be given to achievements not only in speedway but also long-track racing.

Best Finnish riders I have seen:

Antti Pajari

Timo Laine

Edited by Guest

Has to be Kai Niemi. Saw his debut meeting at White City (1976) against Wolves and instantly thought he was going to make it.

Ila Teromaa must also be considered...first Finn to make a World Final (1978) when despite putting in an average performance he did spoil Gordon Kennett's chance of possibly becoming World Champion by beating him when they met.

Best Fnnish riders I have seen:

Antti Pajari

Timo Laine

More details on Antti Pajari:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/anttipajari.html

Timo Laine and Antti Pajari featured with main placings in the early 1960s era of the European Long Track Championships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Speedway_Long_Track_World_Championship

Edited by Guest

More details on Antti Pajari:

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/anttipajari.html

Timo Laine and Antti Pajari featured with main placings in the early 1960s era of the European Long Track Championships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Speedway_Long_Track_World_Championship

If I didnt know you better, Id think you were deliberately naming obscure riders in a misguided attempt to appear you had far superior knowledge to other fans of the sport. But I know you not be that foolish.

For me, its obviously Kai Niemi. A heat leader for a decade in the worlds toughest league, playing a key role in two league title wins. He was also a consistent performer on the world stage, four World Finals and nearly snuck under radar and won it in 1985.

After that, Id probably go for Miko Baste.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2

After that, Id probably go for Miko Baste.

Miko who?

Remember Matti Olin who rode for 'The Bees' in 1974 and Veijo Touriniemi who appeared to have something when he turned out for 'The Eagles' but lost his way eventually.

The best Finnish rider I ever saw was Ari Koponen in a match atbSwindon after he piled into the fence right by me in a crumpled heap.

He then came out and won the rest of his rides. Best I've seen him, or any other Finn, ride.

If I didnt know you better, Id think you were deliberately naming obscure riders in a misguided attempt to appear you had far superior knowledge to other fans of the sport. But I know you not be that foolish.

Actually, falcace, I have to say I am of an age where Antti Pajari and Timo Laine are not obscure to me. They were both good riders and I would probably count them in Finland's top five, though I agree Kai Niemi would be my choice as no.1.

Actually, falcace, I have to say I am of an age where Antti Pajari and Timo Laine are not obscure to me. They were both good riders and I would probably count them in Finland's top five, though I agree Kai Niemi would be my choice as no.1.

I don't want to rub it in, but I am a few years younger than you, norbold! Having said that, the pair are not obscure to me either. In fact, as a kid, I remember my parents telling me about Antti Pajari!

Although both were better on the long-tracks, I think Timo Laine was the better of the two, Pajari being a little on the hairy side.

Kai Niemi is a definite No 1, with Ila Teromaa a clear second. The remaining three - in no particular order - I would give to Kylmakorpi, Laine, and Kaj Laukkanen, Honorable mentions for Tyrvainen and Kokko.

Steve

The best Finnish rider I ever saw was Ari Koponen in a match atbSwindon after he piled into the fence right by me in a crumpled heap.

He then came out and won the rest of his rides. Best I've seen him, or any other Finn, ride.

Remember Kai Niemi scoring 19 points at the Abbey whilst riding for Eastbourne. Gordon Kennett scored 21 but Eastbourne still lost!