British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Best ever Dutch rider

Here - not in any merit order - are a few riders from Holland (The Netherlands) to be considered in some order of merit:

Henny Kroeze, Tonny Kroeze, Henk Steman Senior, Jan Bosman, Rudi Muts, Hans Van Der Sluis, Thei Bischopps, Theo Pijper.

Edited by Guest
Well known name was missed

Personally I would nominate Henny Kroeze. If I recall he was the first rider to score a 21 point maximum whist riding for Halifax.

• Like 1

Hans Van Der Sluis, one of Holland's leading riders in the 1950s-1960s.

Holland 1950s Hans van der Sluis.jpg

I think Hans Van der Sluis had a brother who rode speedway. I also remember another Dutch rider of the same era named Gerrit Kopp (not sure of spelling) but can't find anything about him on Goggle.

15 minutes ago, Split said:

I think Hans Van der Sluis had a brother who rode speedway. I also remember another Dutch rider of the same era named Gerrit Kopp (not sure of spelling) but can't find anything about him on Goggle.

Here's Link previously on the BSF in regard to Gerrit Kops: 

38 minutes ago, Graham Warren said:

What about Peter vandenberg who became a narulised Australian 

I met Peter Vandenberg when he first arrived in the UK. He did have initial problems establishing his nationality as Australian rather than Dutch. From what I recall of Peter, who I knew for many years, I think that he referred to be known as an Australian rather than a Dutchman. But a good point in brining the matter to note Graham Warren.

In fact, as I recall, his original Australian passport gave his name as Piet Van Den Berg! Another point to remember is that he came to race in the UK from Australia where he was taken as a child by his parents.

Edited by Guest
To clarify Peter Varberg as an Australian rather than a Dutch speedway rider.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, steve roberts said:

Personally I would nominate Henny Kroeze. If I recall he was the first rider to score a 21 point maximum whist riding for Halifax.

Funny,i saw an interview a week or so ago with Henny and Egon Müller and Henny told the story of him riding in Russia at I think Togliatti and had a bad accident.Think he broke something,but anyway the ambulance came on and the medical staff put him on a stretcher and into the back of the ambulance without securing him.So the ambulance sped off and henny flew out of the back!!!! He was laughing about it now,but I bet he wasn't laughing at the time.He finished off with 'it could only happen in Russia':D

On 12/12/2017 at 9:52 PM, steve roberts said:

I believe that's correct for the modern era (1965-on).

Peter Craven scored one for GB in Poland in the 50's.

10 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

I believe that's correct for the modern era (1965-on).

Peter Craven scored one for GB in Poland in the 50's.

GB isn't a league meeting.I think Henny's was the first in the British League,which doesn't include test meetings

• Like 1

Henny Kroeze by a proverbial mile!

Held a regular place in the top flight and was a half decent rider around Halifax!

Even rode in the 1987 World Final in Amsterdam when he was seeded in being the best Dutch rider even then, when he was way past his best!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

On 27 December 2017 at 11:53 AM, 25yearfan said:

Henny Kroeze by a proverbial mile!

Held a regular place in the top flight and was a half decent rider around Halifax!

Even rode in the 1987 World Final in Amsterdam when he was seeded in being the best Dutch rider even then when he was way past his best!

...and looked oddly out of place as he was the only rider I remember who still rode with his foot forward rather than the 'lazy' leg that had become the norm!

Henny Kroeze