British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

WHAT A FARCE ... AGAIN!

9 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PETER Oakes in Speedway Star this week has tried to unravel the farcical situation that the BSPA have put themselves in by preventing Scott Nicholls and Edward Kennett riding for a Championship team in 2018 because they did not do so this year and therefore failed to acquire an average. Although, of course, Nicholls appeared in various end of season Championship finales as a guest.

We also now have a situation where Nick Morris and Craig Cook, both of whom have averages over eight, and Sam Masters (almost eight) could ride for the same Championship side but not together for a Premiership team.

Do the BSPA ever look beyond their noses when making up rules, seemingly on the hoof.

What do you expect.... this is Speedway ? :blink:

Common sense never raises its head.

51 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PETER Oakes in Speedway Star this week has tried to unravel the farcical situation that the BSPA have put themselves in by preventing Scott Nicholls and Edward Kennett riding for a Championship team in 2018 because they did not do so this year and therefore failed to acquire an average. Although, of course, Nicholls appeared in various end of season Championship finales as a guest.

We also now have a situation where Nick Morris and Craig Cook, both of whom have averages over eight, and Sam Masters (almost eight) could ride for the same Championship side but not together for a Premiership team.

Do the BSPA ever look beyond their noses when making up rules, seemingly on the hoof.

Having read this post I now expect the matter to be covered with the same degree of condemnation in this week's Speedway Star, rather than be buried on this website.

• Like 3

Many years ago back at the old shay stadium a man and a woman approached us and told us they were new to speedway and wanted to know the rules. We told them not to worry about the rules as they change them every other week, just enjoy the racing. The couple looked at us and walked off disgruntled. A few weeks later they approached us again to apologise has they had found out that we were correct. From what I have experienced in speedway since I started watching the sport again in 2005 nothing has changed. In fact it is so much the norm now that I believe the whole membership of this hallowed forum would have a mass cardiac arrest if the rules applied were ever well thought out,  correct in almost every instance and were adhered to from start to finish. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Add into that the situation at Lakeside where 3 of the 7 (Morris admitedly through genuine scores and the 2 reserves through a potential loophole) will start on lower averages in the Championship than the Premiership.

the numbers doubling up and down is my biggest issue with British speedway, and if Scott & Ted were allowed to do both leagues it obviously adds to the problem, BUT, these are British riders being stopped, and consistency is nowhere to be seen with these rules - disheartening

The problem is too many higher quality riders have been allowed to double down for too long. It wouldn't be a big deal not having Kennet and Nichols in the top league if cook Harris Morris masters, Schlien, lambert, king, Lawson, grazionek, among others were also prevented from doing so.

thats why it's a problem. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

The problem is too many higher quality riders have been allowed to double down for too long. It wouldn't be a big deal not having Kennet and Nichols in the top league if cook Harris Morris masters, Schlien, lambert, king, Lawson, grazionek, among others were also prevented from doing so.

thats why it's a problem. 

I must say that I can't see the logic here.

If Chris Harris can ride Championship Speedway - why not Scott Nichols?

• Like 2

I totally agree with that ff.

I think Scott Nichols would be a great asset to the Championship.

• Like 3

Scott would be a great asset to any club.

I can see though the other side where a significant proportion of Championship sides cannot really afford such riders.

It could be argued that the desirable position would actually be to deny more riders at that level rides in the 2nd tier in order to keep costs to a more sustainble level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brian Rix comes to mind - now he really was a Master of Farce. Is that where the BSPA learned their craft?

Maybe Nichols and Kennet could sue ?

23 hours ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Many years ago back at the old shay stadium a man and a woman approached us and told us they were new to speedway and wanted to know the rules. We told them not to worry about the rules as they change them every other week, just enjoy the racing. The couple looked at us and walked off disgruntled. A few weeks later they approached us again to apologise has they had found out that we were correct. From what I have experienced in speedway since I started watching the sport again in 2005 nothing has changed. In fact it is so much the norm now that I believe the whole membership of this hallowed forum would have a mass cardiac arrest if the rules applied were ever well thought out,  correct in almost every instance and were adhered to from start to finish. 

Speedway is so short term. In fact, the only thing you can be sure of... the fans stand in the same place every week... until they vanish.

• Like 7

It is good advice, just enjoy the racing and forget the rules. But the rules are so murky and can be like that "everyman for himself" game we played as kids.