British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

WHAT A FARCE ... AGAIN!

Surely on the first visit all anyone would need to know is we are in red and blue and they in white and yellow/black, scores are 3210 and are added together for team score.  Team with the highest score wins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Surely on the first visit all anyone would need to know is we are in red and blue and they in white and yellow/black, scores are 3210 and are added together for team score.  Team with the highest score wins.

Yup. That's it.

First match I ever went to, one of the sides was using rider replacement. I had no idea! I just put the scores in where that rider was named.

I don't buy a programme...but someone that sits near me does some score sheets...but I normally get bored of filling that in after a few races.   To me it's still one of strangest parts of speedway ..people putting scores in a programme....but I realise I'm in the minority as most seem to do it.

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I don't buy a programme...but someone that sits near me does some score sheets...but I normally get bored of filling that in after a few races.   To me it's still one of strangest parts of speedway ..people putting scores in a programme....but I realise I'm in the minority as most seem to do it.

My dad was one of those strange people who looked at the programme and after the meeting threw it away!!!Never filled it in and because of his blooming strange habit of just tossing it on the floor,i have absolutely no record of which meetings I attend during the 60s and early 70s.Arrggggghh.Can you imagine how tormented I have been having some complete nutcase as a father?What the hell was he thinking of?:(

• Like 1

My father was even worse....he used to get home and then type it all out and keep statistics of things....then gave those statistics out at the next meeting.....I chose to sit no where near him... I think it's because of him that I feel a certain way about speedway fans...I try not to be like them.

Edited by Baldyman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Yup. That's it.

First match I ever went to, one of the sides was using rider replacement. I had no idea! I just put the scores in where that rider was named.

WAS asked to explain speedway prior to a SGP at Cardiff. Simply said: "Four guys turn left eight times and come back to where they started in about a minute."

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

My father was even worse....he used to get home and then type it all out and keep statistics of things....then gave those statistics out at the next meeting.....I chose to sit no where near him... I think it's because of him that I feel a certain way about speedway fans...I try not to be like them.

The reality is quite the opposite. 

Speedway fans might fill out programmes but in terms of knowledge of statistics for the most part they haven't a clue.

You're way, way out of date if you think it's somehow uncool to be interested in statistics. Stats are everywhere now and the masses are into them. It is an area that speedway fails to capitalise on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WAS asked to explain speedway prior to a SGP at Cardiff. Simply said: "Four guys turn left eight times and come back to where they started in about a minute."

Hmmm,a lot of the time it is more like "Four guys turn left two times and come back to where they started in about 5 minutes",which is sadly a big problem.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The reality is quite the opposite. 

Speedway fans might fill out programmes but in terms of knowledge of statistics for the most part they haven't a clue.

You're way, way out of date if you think it's somehow uncool to be interested in statistics. Stats are everywhere now and the masses are into them. It is an area that speedway fails to capitalise on.

Like I said..I know I'm in the minority....I just obviously don't have that inner geek in me.

No geekiness required.  I fill a programme in to add my comments on the races and then share that with a relative that cannot attend.  They thank me for it , we don't all use the internet for everything.  Now some might say forum contribution is geeky behaviour :D

It is .....I'm obviously a selective geek...are there any other sports where people fill in a programme to keep score???  I can't think of any..but maybe there is....Maybe all the other sports are missing out.

24 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

It is .....I'm obviously a selective geek...are there any other sports where people fill in a programme to keep score???  I can't think of any..but maybe there is....Maybe all the other sports are missing out.

Imagine a programme for, say darts or snooker.

I used to print the score page out and stick it in the programme aftrewards, but then the printer ran out of ink, so that was that.

I would often read the programme at work, to fill the shift in, but now I don't go to work I haven't got time. So they just fill up space in the house.

Edited by ruffdiamond

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yet another ridiculous post.

So you told a newcomer 'not to worry about the rules'?

The rules are simple. 15 races, 2 riders from each side, 3pts for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc. That is ALL a newcomer needs to know.

We told the person '15 races, 2 riders from each side, 3pts for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc'. But they wanted to know the deeper intricate down home country rules - which you perfectly understood - and we told them not to worry about them as they change them every other week.

That's the thing...I can't..... The announcer says what the scores are after every race...so I've no need to write it down on a piece of paper

18 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Motor racing. A couple of the guys I go with are really serious about programme changes to the entry lists, grids & results. I buy the programmes, which are worth the money where speedway programmes aren't, but I tend to use live timing to keep up with events.