British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

WHAT A FARCE ... AGAIN!

44 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

No I'm not utterly wrong....its my opinion.  Believe it or not I'm allowed one. 

You might wish to learn what an opinion is.

You have stated that having an interested in stats is 'unfashionable or socially inept'. That is incorrect, therefore you are wrong. Nothing to do with opinion.

Now, if you'd simply said it didn't interest you, that's your opinion and is fair enough.

Edited by BWitcher

8 hours ago, alkadera said:

Definitely speedway should make more of its statistics. Watching sports on TV the majority have done so. Football, for example, each player has distance run, passes completed(% and number of), shots on and off target, activity zones to name just a few. NFL commentary is packed with stats too. Same for rugby, cricket, F1....

There are so many stats that speedway could work with. We only scrape the surface with averages and gate position scores. Head to head results for each rider, performance at each track, performance in each team position, number of each heat result(5-1, 4-2 etc) overall and against each team, rider partnerships performance, heat 15 performance etc.

Stats are commonplace in sport now. Why not speedway? At the very least, it would give Nigel and Kelvin something different to talk about between races.

I agree. Adrian Smith makes much the same point in the Speedway Star this week.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

It's my opinion that people that have an interest in stats are unfashionable and socially inept.    

Let us hear the reasoning behind this 'opinion' of yours?

Statistics is a multi BILLION dollar industry in sports alone due to it's popularity with MILLIONS.

Quite clearly it is not 'unfashionable'.

As said, you are wrong.

In my opinion speedway is a perfect sport to use statistics to generate extra interest/something to talk about/ listen to on tv. Team make up is decided by statistics so why not include more? Programmes/club websites could include much more in match previews. E.g Lindgren vs Doyle head to head results this season home and away, heat 15 performances overall and head to head. It’s something else for supporters to talk about in the time between each race, can be highlighted by centre green presenters to build tension and atmosphere - much better that than crap music from the 70s and 80s.

It’s not about carrying around a log book to record every little thing at a meeting that your traditional statto may have done, it’s about trying to give supporters more - if they’re talking about something to do with the match, they won’t be moaning about the length of time between heats etc. 

• Like 3

The only books I have kept from my speedway collection are yearbooks and reference ones. I love speedway stats and facts... I love all kinds of stats! I try to compile stats for the years speedway doesn't have yearbooks. I am sad...

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

The only books I have kept from my speedway collection are yearbooks and reference ones. I love speedway stats and facts... I love all kinds of stats! I try to compile stats for the years speedway doesn't have yearbooks. I am sad...

It's a shame that even in speedway's heyday, the sport never produced a yearbook to rival the wisden's and rothman's issued by cricket and football. There are far too many gaps in the publications that were issued.

• Like 1

I love my yearbooks - just to read through not even for reference! And there is do much that could be done, particularly now we can get instant access via the internet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Speedway is geeky in its little way...not that it's a problem to me...I watch the racing and go home and maybe make comments about what I've seen on this forum...which is probably geeky;)

Maybe more should be made of the statistics and geeky side of the sport as someone has suggested previously.  Maybe 4 blokes on motorbikes isn't as appealing as putting numbers in boxes and crossing out names and putting other names in spaces.   Each to their own and all that.

Comments like "what was the result"

On 12/21/2017 at 3:36 PM, Grachan said:

Yup. That's it.

First match I ever went to, one of the sides was using rider replacement. I had no idea! I just put the scores in where that rider was named.

Same with me, only I didn't know how to fill in the scorechart. No.1 scored a 4-ride maximum so I put down 4 in the first column and 0,0,0 in the next three

23 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Of course they did.

What rules were these 'intricate' rules that they were enquiring about then that change 'every other week'. Feel free to name just one.

The ones no one could understand 

56 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

The ones no one could understand 

...one of the rules that caused confusion was when in 1976 it was decided to change the ruling as regards which riders were eligible to take a Rider Replacement Ride based on averages above and below the missing rider. If I recall it ran for two seasons and then reverted to its usual format. I remember Henny Kroeze recording a 21 ride maximum (the first ever to do in the modern era)

I recall many a team manager checking and re-checking a rider's eligibility and then being countered by a protest. It caused confusion amongst some referees I also remember at the time!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember Henny Kroeze recording a 21 ride maximum

He must have been knackered at the end of that :D

I'm one of those who never fills out a programme and generally isn't interested in the stats. Then again I much prefer individual Speedway meetings so I'm aware I'm very much in the minority. I can see that for quite a few making the statistics easily available would improve the experience so it is a relatively cheap thing that might help gain or at least retain a few spectators.

The lack of a big scoreboard at tracks is crazy in my view (but that might be because I can't be bothered to fill in a programme so don't know the score half the time given the state of many tracks PA systems.)

Arsenal against Liverpool on the TV at pub.   36 people asked about statistics of game......not one...That's right..not one cared... Its basically just waffle before the game to most normal supporters.  Obviously all just out having a drink and watching the game and enjoying themselves.