British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

WHAT A FARCE ... AGAIN!

The statistical overload is an American import where no commentary is complete without a barrage of totally incomprehensible statistical rubbish that I'm sure is intended to impress viewers who haven't a clue what they are being told but it "sure sounds impressive". 

Isn't there an outfit called Opta producing this stuff for football? 

Having said that it was the statistical side of speedway that helped draw me in - racecharts and averages but those are meaningful stats. The rest is just filler.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, Baldyman said:

I don't buy a programme...but someone that sits near me does some score sheets...but I normally get bored of filling that in after a few races.   To me it's still one of strangest parts of speedway ..people putting scores in a programme....but I realise I'm in the minority as most seem to do it.

It's utterly weird. I just don't get it. This obsession speedway has with filling in a programme doesn't help it's reputation - and I run a site dedicated to the stats of the sport!

On 22/12/2017 at 10:49 AM, Skidder1 said:

You need to get out more - and visit some of the more professionally run clubs  with scoreboards!!;)

If you mean Poole half-arsed attempt you're wrong. It's not good enough. The text scrolls, the result should be on the board 100% of the time.

21 hours ago, Mr. Clemens said:

The ones no one could understand 

Name one.

You can't. There were no rules that changed 'every other week'. The conversation never happened.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Arsenal against Liverpool on the TV at pub.   36 people asked about statistics of game......not one...That's right..not one cared... Its basically just waffle before the game to most normal supporters.  Obviously all just out having a drink and watching the game and enjoying themselves.   

Bless, of course you did. 

So none of them care about the score, who scored, top scorers. None of them have fantasy teams etc. You're talking absolute rubbish. 

You see, I can provide facts, you just concoct unproven fantasy stories.

Fantasy Premier League.. just ONE game, over 5 million players. 

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember Henny Kroeze recording a 21 ride maximum (the first ever to do in the modern era)

He did, and it was against my club, Birmingham! He'd only just missed out two weeks prior to that, scoring 20 against White City. The Dukes lost that one 38-40.

The R/R regs in 1976 were truly dreadful, and Reg Wilson actually took 8 rides in Sheffield's match at Leicester in June '76, and scored 17+1. That must have been a truly knackering experience, as he trailed in behind Ila Teromaa and Reidar Eide, the resulting 5-1 securing the points for the Lions. That was one of only five League wins for Leicester that year. The same regs for 1977 weren't much better, and I still have a copy of a Hackney programme (v Kings Lynn, I think), where a whole page was dedicated to the then new rule. Thankfully, that reg was greatly simplified for 1978.

In reply to BWitchers question about rule changes years ago, from what I can remember, they were few and far between. Yes, the points limit changed just about every year, that was about it, and things really only became contentious when the limit hit 50 for the 1979 season. Teams didn't even seem to build up to the points limit when it was first implemented, some of them nowhere near it. So long as teams got who they wanted, it all came down to personal terms, and everyone seemed happy.

The only rules I was told about when I first attended speedway was the points and helmet colours. Then which riders to watch out for, because they were good (or absolutely awful!). And oh yes, don't cheer for the opposition! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Leicester Hunter said:

He did, and it was against my club, Birmingham! He'd only just missed out two weeks prior to that, scoring 20 against White City. The Dukes lost that one 38-40.

The R/R regs in 1976 were truly dreadful, and Reg Wilson actually took 8 rides in Sheffield's match at Leicester in June '76, and scored 17+1. That must have been a truly knackering experience, as he trailed in behind Ila Teromaa and Reidar Eide, the resulting 5-1 securing the points for the Lions. That was one of only five League wins for Leicester that year. The same regs for 1977 weren't much better, and I still have a copy of a Hackney programme (v Kings Lynn, I think), where a whole page was dedicated to the then new rule. Thankfully, that reg was greatly simplified for 1978.

In reply to BWitchers question about rule changes years ago, from what I can remember, they were few and far between. Yes, the points limit changed just about every year, that was about it, and things really only became contentious when the limit hit 50 for the 1979 season. Teams didn't even seem to build up to the points limit when it was first implemented, some of them nowhere near it. So long as teams got who they wanted, it all came down to personal terms, and everyone seemed happy.

The only rules I was told about when I first attended speedway was the points and helmet colours. Then which riders to watch out for, because they were good (or absolutely awful!). And oh yes, don't cheer for the opposition! 

Interesting post. Statistics make up so much of sport, especially speedway, why fill in a programme otherwise? They tell you who's in form or out of it, what football team has just chalked up its 17 win (City!). Unless you just like speedway for the sound of bikes and broadsiding, much of it is statistic based.

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

Name one.

You can't. There were no rules that changed 'every other week'. The conversation never happened.

I never understood most of them but has it is 40 years ago and all those involved in the conversation - which did happen otherwise why say it did - are deceased, therefore, I am afraid I can't get the detail for you. 

• Like 1

My latest statistic tells me that BWitcher could start an argument with his own echo in a back entry. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I never understood most of them but has it is 40 years ago and all those involved in the conversation - which did happen otherwise why say it did - are deceased, therefore, I am afraid I can't get the detail for you. 

You can't get the detail because THERE WERE NO RULES that changed every other week. 

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

My latest statistic tells me that BWitcher could start an argument with his own echo in a back entry. 

There is no argument. I simply call it as it is, if someone posts utter nonsense I'll say so. It says a lot about the poster when they continue to try and claim that utter nonsense is true.

22 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

You can't get the detail because THERE WERE NO RULES that changed every other week. 

I was told otherwise and those we spoke to came back and apologised as they found it to be true.

Why would they do that if that was not so?

Surely they would have come back to us and explained the rules of speedway in all their pristine simplicity, to those who did not understand?

I am sure you would agree that most people would wish to enlighten those who did not know, as they do all the time on this speedway forum?

33 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

There is no argument. I simply call it as it is, if someone posts utter nonsense I'll say so. It says a lot about the poster when they continue to try and claim that utter nonsense is true.

...that's fine because I'm still awaiting examples based upon your claim that riders with no experience gained team places within weeks of first sitting on a bike during the seventies.

• Like 1

One fact I can give...is I've had private messages saying what a complete knob jockey Bwitcher is.....fact.      Can't be bothered to waste any more energy and time on someone so boring and dull .  Bye

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

It says a lot about the poster when they continue to try and claim that utter nonsense is true.

So true...keep telling it as it is, though not all your claims are nonsense. Merry Christmas! 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1