British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

WHAT A FARCE ... AGAIN!

On 12/13/2017 at 6:51 PM, Mr. Clemens said:

Many years ago back at the old shay stadium a man and a woman approached us and told us they were new to speedway and wanted to know the rules. We told them not to worry about the rules as they change them every other week, just enjoy the racing. The couple looked at us and walked off disgruntled. A few weeks later they approached us again to apologise has they had found out that we were correct. From what I have experienced in speedway since I started watching the sport again in 2005 nothing has changed. In fact it is so much the norm now that I believe the whole membership of this hallowed forum would have a mass cardiac arrest if the rules applied were ever well thought out,  correct in almost every instance and were adhered to from start to finish. 

Yet another ridiculous post.

So you told a newcomer 'not to worry about the rules'?

The rules are simple. 15 races, 2 riders from each side, 3pts for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc. That is ALL a newcomer needs to know.

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Yet another ridiculous post.

So you told a newcomer 'not to worry about the rules'?

The rules are simple. 15 races, 2 riders from each side, 3pts for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc. That is ALL a newcomer needs to know.

But those are the basics... a closer inspection will tell the newcomer... it is a sport, but not as you know it.

It's like most things in life....I would love a nice fast car...but my budget can't afford one...so I've got a  cheaper slower one.

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

But those are the basics... a closer inspection will tell the newcomer... it is a sport, but not as you know it.

And the basics are all a newcomer needs to know.

4 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

And the basics are all a newcomer needs to know.

4 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Agree with that....its all the newcomer needs to know...we want them to come back 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Agree with that....its all the newcomer needs to know...we want them to come back 

Correct. Let's face it, if someone completely new approaches you at speedway and asks about the rules, that is what you are going to tell them. 

Why we keep getting folk making up stories like the one above is beyond me. 

Unless "Mr Clemens" truly is just plain rude.

I note he relates to the Shay so we talking way back to the early 80's at the latest..  I'd be interested to know what rules were changing 'every week' back then?

I knew I had lost it... that night at Kirky Lane about 10 years ago, when a fellow fan of longstanding asked a certain question about one rule or other. I did not know the answer. I felt ashamed... truly ashamed. There is a point when you can't be bothered with another blinking rule change. It's alright attracting a first-nighter, who likes the novelty of motobikes sliding, but the spectacle would get quite boring if the rules weren't there. Do you tell the newcomer that it's best not bothering with the rules... which seemingly are often written on a magic slate at some winter-break by those folk we term promoters.

Edited by moxey63

If they come back another week..they may ask what happens if??  But don't ever offer the info lol.....speedway rules are just bonkers.  Or you could just say I could tell you the rules mate, but they will change them next season...Maybe even during this season.....now just watch the racing and enjoy it for what it is.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

If they come back another week..they may ask what happens if??  But don't ever offer the info lol.....speedway rules are just bonkers.  Or you could just say I could tell you the rules mate, but they will change them next season...Maybe even during this season.....now just watch the racing and enjoy it for what it is.  

That's nonsense. Speedway isn't just about watching the racing and enjoying it for what it is.

It's a team sport. I know it can get tiresome for people to keep making football comparisons, but if someone asked you the rules of football, you wouldn't tell them not to worry about it and just enjoy how good everyone is at kicking a ball. This is, basically, what you are advocating.

One problem speedway has, I think, if getting outsides to fully understand the team concept. A lack of a scoreboard at most tracks, for example, takes a lot away from this.

If a newcomer wants to know the rules, instead of being a smart arse, you tell them about the teams, the scoring and so on. Surely?

27 minutes ago, Grachan said:

That's nonsense. Speedway isn't just about watching the racing and enjoying it for what it is.

It's a team sport. I know it can get tiresome for people to keep making football comparisons, but if someone asked you the rules of football, you wouldn't tell them not to worry about it and just enjoy how good everyone is at kicking a ball. This is, basically, what you are advocating.

One problem speedway has, I think, if getting outsides to fully understand the team concept. A lack of a scoreboard at most tracks, for example, takes a lot away from this.

If a newcomer wants to know the rules, instead of being a smart arse, you tell them about the teams, the scoring and so on. Surely?

I had already said that in a previous post sort of.   But I wouldn't go into the rules in detail as let's be honest they are rubbish and ruin the sport...and they change every year.

You wouldn't tell someone this bloke can ride cos he is under 6 in one league so he can ride but that bloke can't even though some are over 6 can lol

And you like the statistics and things like that..some don't...I would make a judgement on the person I would be talking to to too what I tell them.

Edited by Baldyman

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

I had already said that in a previous post sort of.   But I wouldn't go into the rules in detail as let's be honest they are rubbish and ruin the sport...and they change every year.

You wouldn't tell someone this bloke can ride cos he is under 6 in one league so he can ride but that bloke can't even though some are over 6 can lol

That's of no relevance to newcomers though.

It's hard core, long-standing fans that get fed up with stuff like that. There's part of the problem. Long term fans are alienated, but new fans are few and far between.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grachan said:

No, don't be daft. 

You immediately tell them about a one over 8 rule or that Scott Nicholls can't ride in the Championship. They then fall over themselves laughing and leave before watching a race (having paid full entry fee). 

To be honest I've never had to tell anyone any rule or none rule....no one has ever asked me....I've also never managed to get anyone to come with me that's never been before.  

If I hadn't been going since I was a kid, I certainly wouldn't be a new follower now.  In fact I'm now going less and less.   

8 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Agreed, but we get many posters who delight in their tales of newcomers and explaining rules that have no relevance to them..

Of course it's all a figment of their imagination.

• Like 1

If I was going for the first time now ...and someone told me all the silly little rules...I think I would pretend to go to the loo and go and sit somewhere else....That's if I hadn't slashed my wrists in boredom beforehand

Edited by Baldyman